Author Topic: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread  (Read 2065614 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread
« Reply #11070 on: November 14, 2015, 08:49:59 am »
Could be worse. Could be an Abeilisaur (sp).

Ooh, abelisaurs and their little baby arms. Even more ridiculous.

...yeah, nobody really knows what was going on there. Awfully flexible at the shoulder joint for some reason though.

Question: do the neck and shoulder bones indicate enough flexibility that the critter could bend his head down to his little toothpick arms...and be able to pick the gorey bits from his teeth, nostrils and snout after feeding? Otherwise, I'm getting this hilarious picture of him flapping and windmilling those tiny arms to express excitement or frustrated rage XD.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #11071 on: November 14, 2015, 11:38:57 am »
Question: What are the odds that someone mixed up two partial fossils? Like isn't there a chance that this particular dino had decent sized front limbs but while connecting the fossil bits someone accidentally (or as a part of prank gone horribly right) attached limbs from a much smaller dino to this one?
EDIT: I'm hiding this in spoiler because it is so damn huge but I have got to say that this is a particularly amusing trainwreck...

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 12:00:09 pm by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

pyro

« Reply #11072 on: November 14, 2015, 04:14:30 pm »
(click to show/hide)

I haven't seen that much math fail since the fifty-fifty event happened nine times out of ten.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #11073 on: November 14, 2015, 04:24:37 pm »
Question: What are the odds that someone mixed up two partial fossils? Like isn't there a chance that this particular dino had decent sized front limbs but while connecting the fossil bits someone accidentally (or as a part of prank gone horribly right) attached limbs from a much smaller dino to this one?

No, there were multiple specimens found with arms like that, representing at least three species.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #11074 on: November 14, 2015, 05:00:14 pm »
But can it pick it's nose? Dammit, I need to know XD.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #11075 on: November 15, 2015, 07:43:13 am »
Could be worse. Could be an Abeilisaur (sp).

Ooh, abelisaurs and their little baby arms. Even more ridiculous.

...yeah, nobody really knows what was going on there. Awfully flexible at the shoulder joint for some reason though.

Question: do the neck and shoulder bones indicate enough flexibility that the critter could bend his head down to his little toothpick arms...and be able to pick the gorey bits from his teeth, nostrils and snout after feeding? Otherwise, I'm getting this hilarious picture of him flapping and windmilling those tiny arms to express excitement or frustrated rage XD.

I doubt the neck was flexible enough to do that.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #11076 on: November 15, 2015, 12:38:12 pm »
Long, but worth it.

(click to show/hide)
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

pyro

« Reply #11077 on: November 15, 2015, 03:39:46 pm »
Long, but worth it.

(click to show/hide)

Did someone from LessWrong write that? It sounds like something they'd like.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #11078 on: November 15, 2015, 05:06:16 pm »
I don't know; a friend showed it to me on Imgur.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #11079 on: November 15, 2015, 09:29:36 pm »
Long, but worth it.

(click to show/hide)

I would've thought the opposite. I don't recall the specific piece, but there was at least one article there about how putting too much value on unanswered questions is a mistake and questions ultimately exist to be answered.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 05:13:38 pm by Sigmaleph »
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #11080 on: November 16, 2015, 03:38:23 pm »

pyro

« Reply #11081 on: November 16, 2015, 03:58:17 pm »
Long, but worth it.

(click to show/hide)

I would've thought the opposite. I don't recall the specific piece, but there was at least one article there about how putting too much value on an answered question is a mistake and questions ultimately exist to be answered.

You mean "too much value on an unanswered questions," right?

The way I read this picture, the last few frames are basically a disclaimer for that point. "If 'worthless' answers are the only things that lead to actions, the only thing that makes things happen, what's the use of your precious questions and crazy theories about the world out there anyway?" You are, of course, expected to think about that. Probably something to do with how answers that are born from questions are of a much higher quality than answers that aren't.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #11082 on: November 16, 2015, 05:16:49 pm »
Long, but worth it.

(click to show/hide)

I would've thought the opposite. I don't recall the specific piece, but there was at least one article there about how putting too much value on an answered question is a mistake and questions ultimately exist to be answered.

You mean "too much value on an unanswered questions," right?

Oops, yeah. Thanks.

The way I read this picture, the last few frames are basically a disclaimer for that point. "If 'worthless' answers are the only things that lead to actions, the only thing that makes things happen, what's the use of your precious questions and crazy theories about the world out there anyway?" You are, of course, expected to think about that. Probably something to do with how answers that are born from questions are of a much higher quality than answers that aren't.

Yeah, that's a valid interpretation. I don't think a lesswronger would've written it, doesn't hit the right shibboleths, but it's not incompatible with the philosophy, broadly speaking.
Σא

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #11083 on: November 16, 2015, 07:25:08 pm »
Honestly, all that comic managed to do was thoroughly confuse me.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #11084 on: November 16, 2015, 09:35:37 pm »
I love the quirky world it portrayed. Walking a floating goldfish on a leash, my fave.