Author Topic: Democratic Primaries Thread  (Read 31152 times)

Offline Id82

• The Beast
Re: Democratic Primaries Thread
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2020, 04:11:02 pm »
I think what were seeing is the last throes of boomer power in the united states. They seem to desperately be clinging onto that power and refusing to pass it off to the younger generations. As the silent generation and boomers start to die off I think you're going to start seeing a political shift take place.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2020, 04:33:15 pm »
It's a pretty weird law making the age for president older than the age for voting. I also find it weird that people are expected to function well after 70. I know a lot of people who start to slide cognitively very soon after 70. Smart people too. People who would have been amazing leaders at 50-60 are doddering at 70. Now that's not everyone but many people.

Edit: Id82 be interesting to see what happens with the Coronavirus given that it appears to be much more lethal for older demographics. Welcome to the boomerpocalypse
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 04:54:36 pm by davedan »

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2020, 08:25:46 pm »
I mean, what happens if Trump dies to the Coronavirus?

We'd be hearing baffling conspiracy theories for ages...
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2020, 10:25:46 pm »
You mean how the Coronavirus is a secret millenial weapon to kill all the boomers so they could turn the US into a communist hell hole?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2020, 10:29:28 pm »
If Biden wins the nomination Trump is going to be re elected.
I don't see young voters getting excited about status quo politics that we've had shoved down our throats for the past nearly forty years. He doesn't really bring anything new to the table. He's prone to gaffes and saying things that are just absurd and Trump already has dirt on him that we're going to hear ad nauseam until election day. The rust belt isn't going to vote for Biden because they didn't vote for Hillary.

I think if any of the old white men end up being nominated Trump probably wins again.  Because they all have major flaws to exploit, but the media wants 1) a horse race and 2) can't visualize any other group being President.

And honestly, if Bernie wins, I suspect you'll see his coalition turn on him within two years, because he's pushed them to reject compromise.  So they'll be angry when the midterms come and they don't have all the stuff Bernie promises... Just like Obama.

Biden, on the other hand, probably wastes the first two years making all the same mistakes Obama made; trying to convince the Repubs to work with him, and ignoring all of the insults they throw his way.

Boasting about the most diverse coalition in Dem history; how did it once again come down to two 75-80 year old white men?

Bernie Sanders isn't just some same old same old white guy. He's Jewish and his base consists of young people generally , hispanic people, young black people, and especially young women. Biden's also got older black voters pretty strongly. So I wouldn't oversimplify diversity like that.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2020, 12:07:49 am »
Given current results (per The Green Papers), I predict two things:

1. Biden is the nominee.
2. Sanders supporters scream that it was rigged.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2020, 12:08:00 am »
Biden has the minority vote pretty secured. Which is not surprising. Sanders' base is very white. A lot Hispanic voters were alienated by his comments about Castro and a lot of black voters see him as just another old white man telling them what to believe. If Biden wins, it's because Sanders, like in 2016, can't secure the minority vote.

Won't stop the Bernie Bros from calling Warren a spoiler. Like they're already doing. I guess it's too much to ask that they just try to realize that some people just. Don't. Like. Bernie. Sanders.
Who needs a signature?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2020, 12:12:00 am »
Note that my comment was given current results. Quite a few districts in California have yet to report any results according to TGP.

But I do expect quite a few Sanders supporters to claim that the fix was in, even if those California districts come in and give Sanders a slight lead after tonight.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2020, 12:14:36 am »
I was actually typing my response before you posted. It just happened to still fit, so I left it alone.
Who needs a signature?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2020, 12:19:31 am »
I was actually typing my response before you posted. It just happened to still fit, so I left it alone.

And my reply was actually intended as an edit to my previous post.

Still, at this point, I think Biden has the upper hand and will probably go on to be the nominee (but it's still very early for California results, and TGP has some seriously botched Massachusetts and Maine results at the moment). But whatever else comes, this probably knocks Bloomberg out of contention, and I hope we can agree that that's a good thing.

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2020, 12:55:48 am »
Note that my comment was given current results. Quite a few districts in California have yet to report any results according to TGP.

But I do expect quite a few Sanders supporters to claim that the fix was in, even if those California districts come in and give Sanders a slight lead after tonight.

I've already seen a story from Teen Vogue to millenials telling them that the whole thing was fixed... By Barack Obama.

If Biden wins the nomination Trump is going to be re elected.
I don't see young voters getting excited about status quo politics that we've had shoved down our throats for the past nearly forty years. He doesn't really bring anything new to the table. He's prone to gaffes and saying things that are just absurd and Trump already has dirt on him that we're going to hear ad nauseam until election day. The rust belt isn't going to vote for Biden because they didn't vote for Hillary.

I think if any of the old white men end up being nominated Trump probably wins again.  Because they all have major flaws to exploit, but the media wants 1) a horse race and 2) can't visualize any other group being President.

And honestly, if Bernie wins, I suspect you'll see his coalition turn on him within two years, because he's pushed them to reject compromise.  So they'll be angry when the midterms come and they don't have all the stuff Bernie promises... Just like Obama.

Biden, on the other hand, probably wastes the first two years making all the same mistakes Obama made; trying to convince the Repubs to work with him, and ignoring all of the insults they throw his way.

Boasting about the most diverse coalition in Dem history; how did it once again come down to two 75-80 year old white men?

Bernie Sanders isn't just some same old same old white guy. He's Jewish and his base consists of young people generally , hispanic people, young black people, and especially young women. Biden's also got older black voters pretty strongly. So I wouldn't oversimplify diversity like that.

Seriously, though, where are they?  Bernie's getting wiped out all over the map... At this rate, California might be the only thing keeping him in this...

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2020, 12:58:26 am »
Never underestimate the willingness of populists to assign to conspiracy any failure by their messiah.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2020, 01:11:30 am »
Sanders should not have run for President in the first place. He should have been an early endorsement for Warren or Booker and sat out. I swear the Bernie Bros are worse this time around than they were in 2016.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2020, 08:15:46 am »
If there's any solace in this whole thing it's seeing Michael Bloomberg saying but I spent five hundred and sixty million dollars on this. How come no one's voting for me?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2020, 10:01:19 am »
If there's any solace in this whole thing it's seeing Michael Bloomberg saying but I spent five hundred and sixty million dollars on this. How come no one's voting for me?

Well, it looks like he won American Samoa so that must have made the whole exercise worth it.