Author Topic: Anti-Science bills in 4 states  (Read 3835 times)

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
Anti-Science bills in 4 states
« on: January 28, 2013, 01:51:36 pm »
These people just won't give up.  Anti-science bills have been introduced in 4 states which are designed to allow teachers to preach creationism, among other things, without fear of reprisal. 

The more science shows how things really are (were) the more these people resist the truth. 
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: Anti-Science bills in 4 states
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 02:52:46 pm »
If somebody is seriously going to try to deny evolution in this day and age, they should never be able to leave their home and not get publicly ridiculed.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 11:20:22 pm »
A saying I've heard multiple times comes to mind here:

"We have the fossils. We win."

It takes WILLFUL ignorance in this day and age to be so ignorant of science.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 12:05:40 am »
A saying I've heard multiple times comes to mind here:

"We have the fossils. We win."

It takes WILLFUL ignorance in this day and age to be so ignorant of science.
The technical term is "Stupid".
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 06:06:55 am »
I'll take them seriously (Well, a little) if they can answer how they leap from, "outside influence," to, "God did it."  If they want to teach all sides equally as they preach, they need to explain the Hindu god, aliens, asteroids, etc.

Otherwise, it's just churches trying to squeeze their way into schools where they don't belong.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 10:49:11 am »
I'll take them seriously (Well, a little) if they can answer how they leap from, "outside influence," to, "God did it."  If they want to teach all sides equally as they preach, they need to explain the Hindu god, aliens, asteroids, etc.

Otherwise, it's just churches trying to squeeze their way into schools where they don't belong.

One can only hope that this comes back to blow up in their faces.  They want to teach creationism?  Fine.  But don't have conniptions when a student wants to explore Buddhist teachings or some other religion's explanation of how things came to be.  After all, this is being label as the "Academic Freedom" bill.  Let's have true academic freedom under these bills.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 12:03:00 pm »
I'll gett my pirate costume

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 01:17:47 pm »
I'd walk into the classroom with a report about meteorite crashes possibly affecting the Earth and changing it so we could be here.  Meteorites are outside sources, but their effects can actually be proven/disproven
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 01:47:42 pm »
APparently the courts have ruled the idea unconstitutional since it's based on the establishment of religion, so even if it got through, you can slap it with a strong lawsuit on established precedent.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 03:19:56 pm »
APparently the courts have ruled the idea unconstitutional since it's based on the establishment of religion, so even if it got through, you can slap it with a strong lawsuit on established precedent.

Well, of course, yeah.  But the thing is, they just won't fucking give up this quest to teach creationism in schools.  No matter how many times these bills are passed and then smacked down by the Supreme Court, they come back with it worded a different way trying to get around and hide the very fact that it actually is nothing more than an attempt to teach religion, and a very specific religion at that, which is an obvious violation of the constitution.

What this shows me is that if they think they have to teach this stuff in schools, they are admitting their churches aren't doing a very good job of indoctrinating the young'uns. 

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 05:44:14 pm »
Why not throw the conservative Christians a major curve ball and make it a requirement that everybody get a couple of years worth of world religion and philosophy classes in exchange for leaving religion out of science.

It would be the ultimate Trojan Horse victory for our side.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 07:19:42 pm »
Why not throw the conservative Christians a major curve ball and make it a requirement that everybody get a couple of years worth of world religion and philosophy classes in exchange for leaving religion out of science.

That would be awesome.  We went over different religions and philosophies some when I was in Geography, but I would have loved to have gone more in depth.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 07:39:39 pm »
I can't see them going for that. They'd be all for mandatory religious instruction but they'd wrangle and snarl and twist and spit to get it to be Christianity only. And they would STILL want Creationism taught in science classes. I guarantee it. It's not enough just to teach kids about religion--you have to make them see that it permeates every single solitary facet of their universe. They just cannot STAND the idea that someone will teach evolution as an explanation for life on Earth, FULL STOP, let alone teaching it IN LIEU OF their beloved myths.

What this shows me is that if they think they have to teach this stuff in schools, they are admitting their churches aren't doing a very good job of indoctrinating the young'uns. 

Also, this is a pretty darn good point.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 09:00:53 pm »

In the UK, they had Religious Studies as a regular class. Christianity did get more attention - two full years were spent reading the Bible - but we also studied other religions.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 10:05:28 pm »

In the UK, they had Religious Studies as a regular class. Christianity did get more attention - two full years were spent reading the Bible - but we also studied other religions.

I can't imagine a religious studies class in America that wouldn't end up teaching about how Jesus inspired the founding fathers or something.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!