Author Topic: Anything Good Happen Today?  (Read 856234 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: Anything Good Happen Today?
« Reply #3945 on: February 28, 2016, 10:29:27 am »
Congrats!
Σא

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #3946 on: February 28, 2016, 11:55:03 am »
I'm going to be a father in August.

Cheers mate!
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3947 on: February 28, 2016, 12:11:21 pm »

She's going to start craving for strange foods at strange times. This is often used as a joke but it really does happen as her body realizes that she is going to need ingredient X for the fetus and she will subconsciously start craving for some food that contains it. Things like getting a craving for beer are not unheard of (although substituting beer with some other non-alcoholic food that contains similar stuff is for the best.)

Try to take a good nights sleep now. After the MIRACLE OF BIRTH it is going to get much harder.

...Although it's not as bad for the father as it is for the mother so for everyone's sake try to make sure that she gets a rest every now and then. Also you need some rest every now and then. In fact, if you can occasionally hand over the kid(s) to grandparents try to do that and get some time with your wife(? I don't actually remember if you've said you're married or not.) because that will be important for the relationship.

But for that last bit don't get your hopes up for. After giving birth the mother's hormonal balance is geared up for taking care of the baby and generally speaking sex or even intimacy may not be high on priority list.

...Despite these warnings I really do wish to congratulate you and remind you that children really are wonderful creatures it is just that at some point the parents will feel the exhaustion (it took two months for me for the first time I realized that I got a pang of annoyance and felt bad about it for a while.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #3948 on: February 29, 2016, 01:06:30 am »
Thanks for the congratulations, guys.

She's going to start craving for strange foods at strange times. This is often used as a joke but it really does happen as her body realizes that she is going to need ingredient X for the fetus and she will subconsciously start craving for some food that contains it. Things like getting a craving for beer are not unheard of (although substituting beer with some other non-alcoholic food that contains similar stuff is for the best.)

Try to take a good nights sleep now. After the MIRACLE OF BIRTH it is going to get much harder.

...Although it's not as bad for the father as it is for the mother so for everyone's sake try to make sure that she gets a rest every now and then. Also you need some rest every now and then. In fact, if you can occasionally hand over the kid(s) to grandparents try to do that and get some time with your wife(? I don't actually remember if you've said you're married or not.) because that will be important for the relationship.

But for that last bit don't get your hopes up for. After giving birth the mother's hormonal balance is geared up for taking care of the baby and generally speaking sex or even intimacy may not be high on priority list.

...Despite these warnings I really do wish to congratulate you and remind you that children really are wonderful creatures it is just that at some point the parents will feel the exhaustion (it took two months for me for the first time I realized that I got a pang of annoyance and felt bad about it for a while.)

I appreciate the advice.  I am married.  The strange cravings have already started.  Actually, her diet has always been pretty craving-driven, but now the difference is that she no longer feels guilty about asking me to take care of it at odd hours (I went to Kroger at 1 AM yesterday morning for potatoes, so I could make her french fries).  Sleep isn't something I've ever been good at.  I can't usually get more than 6 hours unless I'm sick, and 4-6 is pretty typical for me.  Interestingly, our bizarre collective sleep schedule should work out pretty well.  I tend to sleep from about 3 to 8 AM, while she usually sleeps from 8 PM to 5 AM.  It's always been kind of annoying that we don't sleep at the same time, but there should only be about a 2 hour period each night when one of us won't be awake anyway.

And the grandparents are extremely excited.  This will be the first grandkid on both sides (as well as the first great-grandchild for her maternal grandparents), and they have all enthusiastically volunteered for babysitting.  The the first coherent sentences that my mother-in-law managed to put together after we told her was something along the lines of, "Ooh!  I can babysit!  I'm allowed to work from home for up to three days a week!  Let me play with the baby!"

I particularly appreciate the words of warning about sex, which I've already been trying to prepare myself for.  The gap between our sex drives is extremely wide to begin with, and she has already started apologizing for her lack of interest since she has been pregnant.  I actually found it kind of funny that she thought she needed to apologize.  I mean, nobody ever needs a reason to not want sex, just saying "no" is enough, but, "there is a tiny almost-person inside of me that is making me throw up several times every day" is a really good reason.  Either way, I've already been trying to put myself in a place where I expect exactly no sex for the next year or two, meaning that my expectations can only be met or exceeded.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #3949 on: March 02, 2016, 03:08:28 pm »
Looks like I've got a date next Tuesday.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #3950 on: March 02, 2016, 11:18:59 pm »
Woo, congrats!
Σא

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #3951 on: March 02, 2016, 11:20:18 pm »
Have you painted an elephants head around your groin area so that you can ask if she wants to see your elephant impression?

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #3952 on: March 05, 2016, 12:14:17 am »
Ya do good shit WotC, ya do good shit.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Delirium

• Bishop
  • "i choose my own way to burn." - sophie scholl
« Reply #3953 on: March 08, 2016, 03:28:52 pm »
I started Russian tutoring today. :3

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3954 on: March 08, 2016, 06:17:32 pm »
My cousin just got back home from hospital. I didn't mention it here before this post, not knowing how things would turn out, but he had a pretty bad stroke last Friday. Luckily, I was home and heard him fall in his room. Orlando FD got him onto the ambulance and inside the ER within 12 minutes of me calling 911. The docs maneuvered a catheter right up to the clot and had it all suctioned out before the "golden hour" was three quarters through. Fucking amazing good luck for him and me, both. He's so undamaged, because of that amazingly rapid intervention, that he's happily mucking about fixing dinner in the kitchen as I write this.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3955 on: March 08, 2016, 06:35:49 pm »
Got some ankle weights at Walmart today.  I dunno what it is about them, but they just feel...good.  Like I had a lot of muscular tension in my legs that's finally getting bled off.

Also, that's cool, Mellen.  Glad he's undamaged, seems like you guys got good emergency responders out where you live.  Always a good thing!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3956 on: March 09, 2016, 12:07:33 pm »
One upside of being laid off is that I've got more time to work on my personal projects, and today has been an extremely productive day.  I've gotten most of the skeleton code for a text-based story engine completed, wrote the entire compiler class in about 90 minutes, complete with script validation, logging, and a custom exception class for compiler errors.  I'm even going so far as to do an anti-Mojang and do everything right, and efficiently, the first time around, parallelizing certain high-load loops and using every optimization trick I know to bring initial load times for any games down to an absolute bare minimum.  I've even written up a flowchart both for the compilation process and the game flow itself.  Making a story with this should be as easy as writing a bunch of scripts (derived from a set of base script types), compiling, debugging, and packaging.  RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, MOTHERFUCKERS.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3957 on: March 09, 2016, 12:15:35 pm »
That's great you have time to get the build going so smoothly, Rav, but holey shit...I had no idea you got laid off! Did you post about it somewhere and I just missed it?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3958 on: March 09, 2016, 12:18:49 pm »
Nah, I didn't...wanted some time to cool down after it happened last Monday.  Basically, the President of the company was a retard and cost us a lot of money, which resulted in massive staff cuts.  I still want to strangle the fucker since he was told, repeatedly, over the course of months that it'd happen, though.  But, I'm not letting it bring me down.  Getting depressed achieves nothing.  Instead, I'm letting my anger and outrage at the bastard give me energy to do something constructive.  I'm an angry person by nature and its high time I use it to my advantage.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 12:21:01 pm by RavynousHunter »

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #3959 on: March 09, 2016, 12:33:18 pm »
Randomly, while working out yesterday, someone complimented my build.

I guess I'm doing something right.

Heading into the gym again today for some chest supersets.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer