Author Topic: Russia to arrest pro-gay Olympic Athletes  (Read 9889 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Russia to arrest pro-gay Olympic Athletes
« on: August 12, 2013, 04:19:18 pm »
Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/30/russia-anti-gay-olympic-games-sochi_n_3676311.html

Despite assurance by the International Olympic Committee July 26 that attendees of the 2014 Olympic Games in Sochi would not be held under the jurisdiction of Russia's anti-gay legislation, the law's co-sponsor is now articulating a different set of circumstances. Vitaly Milonov, the politician responsible for the "gay propaganda" ban in St. Petersburg later adopted by the country as a whole, claims that the law cannot be selectively enforced nor suspended.

In an interview with Interfax, Milonov stated:

I haven’t heard any comments from the government of the Russian Federation, but I know that it is acting in accordance with Russian law. And if a law has been approved by the federal legislature and signed by the president, then the government has no right to suspend it. It doesn’t have the authority.
In effect, it seems as if foreign athletes and spectators at the 2014 Olympic Games will, in fact, be subject to the legalities of Russia's recent stream of anti-LGBT legislation. Signed into law by President Vladimir Putin on June 30, the legislation gives the Russian government agency to detain gay or "pro-gay" foreigners up to 14 days before facing expulsion from the country.

Perhaps most disturbing out of this recent interview with Milonov is the claim that he has "spoken with many American politicians" and that "they support the stance I’ve taken on this issue." He also cites support from German legislators surrounding the anti-gay crackdown.

This is rather disturbing but I figured it would happen.  Russia does not give fuck one about what's going on in the rest of the world.  All they want to do is keep the gays not as second-class citizens but as non-entities in an effort to...well I have not clue what these laws are gonna do but damn it we need to take a stand.

No American involvement in the 2014 Winter Games.  That would be taking a stand.  Sadly it'll never happen.

Ironbite-cause who gives a damn about people being persecuted for something that defines them.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: Russia to arrest pro-gay Olympic Athletes
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 05:00:22 pm »
Russia is really degenerating into a shithole lately.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 05:07:08 pm »
Russia is really degenerating into a shithole lately.

At least for us gays, bis, and lesbians and our allies.  I don't even know what Russia thinks of transpeople yet.

It's too bad I don't watch the Olympics, otherwise I'd abstain from watching it in 2014.  As it stands now, though, I'll just be doing what I've done with every Olympics game.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Leafy

• Radical Radish
  • Pope
  • "My bunny will eat your soul!"
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 05:13:08 pm »
I never watch the Olympics anyway...

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 05:14:46 pm »
I don't watch the games either. To be honest, I just don't see what the appeal is.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 08:02:16 pm »
I love the olympics. It's one of the few sporting events I actually watch.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 08:10:48 pm »
But what about the Olympic orgy?
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 08:18:23 pm »
Only reason I watch the olympics is for fencing.  Beyond that, it can fuck off.

And I'm pretty sure if Russia tried to arrest any member of the American Olympic team, there'd be some ass kicking going on.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 08:20:43 pm »
I don't watch the games either and as far as Russia is concerned, haven't they been sliding down this way for a while now?
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 09:15:30 pm »
You know, ever since they chose Russia as the host, I've been expecting something like this. Ever since Putin the would-be Czar took over, that country has just been getting rotten. What does it say when I'm honestly expecting the impoverished and crime-ridden city of Rio to be a better Olympic host than the entire nation of Russia?

Also, I seem to be unlike a lot of you in that I enjoy the Olympics. I don't even enjoy most organized sports, but there's something about the wonderful international spirit that I just love. Trust Putin to screw all that up.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 09:35:13 pm »
Only interest i ever had in the olympics was when it went to london and went psycho with the branding and copyright laws.

And lgbt laws there are messed up, being gay was only declared to not be a mental ilness in 1999, however being transgender there is legal and you have the right to officially change it on paper
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 09:57:30 pm »
I've actually expected worse events to happen in the 2014 Olympics. Consider it's hosted in Sochi, a town close to the Caucasus and separatist states like Chechnya (which there will never be a nice day there again as far as I know), my fears have been terrorist attacks by organizations brutally disenchanted by the national policy of Russia and Vladimir Putin. But now we have a problem that I feel the National Olympics Committee would legitimately pull away the host city, that being the government-led discrimination and dehumanization of homosexuals and even the plans to lead homosexual or pro-gay athletes to imprisonment, or worse than being in a Russian prison: torture and death. For the sexual preference or not being openly hostile to homosexuals.

Also, I'll just leave this here: It's nice to know there are more people here who enjoy watching the Olympics when the games are on, and I don't like sporting events.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 10:07:49 pm »
The Russians are being idiots if they don't think this will cause them any problems down the line. It's almost like they're TRYING to start something. I really hope they don't arrest anyone in the Olympics over this stupid law. That's to say nothing of the bordering areas that might cause other problems.

And to the makers of that stupid law, if there were a hell, I'd throw you into it.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 01:25:16 am »
This may just be me playing devils advocate, but would we be having this discussion if the Olympic games were say held in Saudi Arabia? They treat gays far worse than the Russian laws do, not to mention how they treat 50% of the worlds population. I doubt we would suddenly expect them to suspend their laws because of the Olympics. Perhaps we expect it because in a country like Russia there is still a large degree of freedom of speech, while at the same time these laws are quite new that we expect their laws to no longer matter.

I think the only reason why such a consideration should be made is if the selection of Russia for the Olympics was done before the new law, and had such a law existed before hand it would have excluded Russia from selection. In which case the only option is to just up and change locations denying Russia the right to host.

As much as we may hate these laws, and think they are supremely stupid, we must respect another nations right to self determination.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 01:55:53 am »
This may just be me playing devils advocate, but would we be having this discussion if the Olympic games were say held in Saudi Arabia? They treat gays far worse than the Russian laws do, not to mention how they treat 50% of the worlds population. I doubt we would suddenly expect them to suspend their laws because of the Olympics. Perhaps we expect it because in a country like Russia there is still a large degree of freedom of speech, while at the same time these laws are quite new that we expect their laws to no longer matter.

I think the only reason why such a consideration should be made is if the selection of Russia for the Olympics was done before the new law, and had such a law existed before hand it would have excluded Russia from selection. In which case the only option is to just up and change locations denying Russia the right to host.

As much as we may hate these laws, and think they are supremely stupid, we must respect another nations right to self determination.
However usually Saudi Arabia (at least Qatar) would not arrest gay players from different countries.  And while true the respect thing can only truly apply in a democracy and Russia is not