Author Topic: Russia to arrest pro-gay Olympic Athletes  (Read 9888 times)

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
Re: Russia to arrest pro-gay Olympic Athletes
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 03:01:51 am »
This may just be me playing devils advocate, but would we be having this discussion if the Olympic games were say held in Saudi Arabia? They treat gays far worse than the Russian laws do, not to mention how they treat 50% of the worlds population. I doubt we would suddenly expect them to suspend their laws because of the Olympics. Perhaps we expect it because in a country like Russia there is still a large degree of freedom of speech, while at the same time these laws are quite new that we expect their laws to no longer matter.

I think the only reason why such a consideration should be made is if the selection of Russia for the Olympics was done before the new law, and had such a law existed before hand it would have excluded Russia from selection. In which case the only option is to just up and change locations denying Russia the right to host.

As much as we may hate these laws, and think they are supremely stupid, we must respect another nations right to self determination.

Well, first I don't think Saudi Arabia would be considered for the Olympics, but if it were, yes I would expect them to change the law. Russia is just more prominent in the world because it is attempting to be "developed".
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 05:24:44 am »
When the Olympics are happening in Sochi, a lot of athletes are going to provoke this law (and the IOC 'no politics' rule') with various statements and actions.
I don't think the Russian national authorities are stupid enough to actually try to arrest any athletes, even if some smaller figures are beating their chests about it now. What will happen though is a lot of awkward censoring in the Russian media and outcries by anti-gay groups, which will set the Russian public's attention to this issue (I don't know how big of an issue it is in Russia at the moment, but it'll definitely be then). Some will be angry at the perverted Western provocateurs. But I also think that the law is going to lose respect if some people are allowed to flaunt their violations so publicly.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 11:57:56 am »
I also think that if they'd follow through with the arrests, the jails & prisons would be WAY OVERFLOWING & the cops overloaded. It wouldn't be practical. On top of that, it's bad business & PR.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 03:51:49 pm »
Depends on how many people decide to defy them.  If it's just a couple of hundred, I'm sure they can handle it.  Remember, not everyone will care enough to protest.  Some will think it's bad, but not worth going to jail over, or losing their shot at becoming the best in their chosen field.  Others may even agree with the Russian government's position.  And some may believe that the Olympics shouldn't be used to espouse any political/religious belief, even if they agree with it.

You can't always count on people to agree on what the right thing is, let alone to do it.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 04:03:36 pm »
One thing of note is that Moscow is currently hosting the IAAF World Championships, and I haven't heard of any arrests for this stuff as yet.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 06:54:34 pm »
I think we should get as many athletes as possible - including entire teams of prominent nations - to declare their support for gay rights.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 08:03:13 pm »
You mean something like the black power activists at the... which one was it again? '68? I feel really stupid unable to remember that. But back on topic, yeah, I'm pretty sure there's a large number of athletes who would be willing to take a stand, even if they aren't gay themselves. Olympians seem to be more liberal, at least from what I've seen.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 08:10:16 pm »
Whatever the case, I think there's going to be a lot of pro-homosexuality stuff going on at the Olympics purely out of protest at the host country. Russia can do whatever they want, but there's a lot of people who are willing to take a stand and risk arrest if it means they can publicly shame the country arresting them. The fact that they're going to be on such a prominent stage as the Olympic Games only increases the chance that something will happen.

I think if Russia actually had any foreign athletes arrested, it would be a total shitstorm. Especially the ones who came from very liberal or otherwise pro-gay countries.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 08:28:31 pm »
You mean something like the black power activists at the... which one was it again? '68? I feel really stupid unable to remember that. But back on topic, yeah, I'm pretty sure there's a large number of athletes who would be willing to take a stand, even if they aren't gay themselves. Olympians seem to be more liberal, at least from what I've seen.

1968 Mexico City:

(The third guy in that picture, Peter Norman, also saw his career go down the drain because of it.)

It's also worth keeping in mind that Russia is also hosting the FIFA World Cup in 2018. If bad stuff happens at the Olympics, I wonder if FIFA would move it...
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 08:35:54 pm »
The Black Panthers are a tad different from gay rights. They actually had a poor reputation as essentially terrorists. An athlete in 2014 who publicly supports homosexuality is probably going to be praised instead of ostracized.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 09:10:43 pm »
The Black Panthers are a tad different from gay rights. They actually had a poor reputation as essentially terrorists. An athlete in 2014 who publicly supports homosexuality is probably going to be praised instead of ostracized.

Carlos and Smith weren't ostracized as such; Brundage forced the US Olympic team to kick them out (by threatening to kick out the entire US Olympic team, or at least the athletics team). Norman was ostracized in Australia, but that was pretty much because the Australian government was incredibly racist (and he was an outspoken critic of the White Australia policy).

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2013, 09:31:51 pm »

1968 Mexico City:

(The third guy in that picture, Peter Norman, also saw his career go down the drain because of it.)

It's also worth keeping in mind that Russia is also hosting the FIFA World Cup in 2018. If bad stuff happens at the Olympics, I wonder if FIFA would move it...

It was Norman who provided the gloves. They told him beforehand that they were going to do the fist salute so he could decide whether or not to stand there and he came up with the gloves.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2013, 10:21:34 pm »
Kinda.  They were actually Smith's gloves.  Smith and Carlos had planned on wearing gloves for the event, but Carlos forgot his back at the village  Norman suggested they split the pair.  That's why they're using different hands. 
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2013, 11:17:40 am »
Well, here's something more about it.

Summary: Russian pole vaulter (arguably one of the best of all time) says stuff in support of Russia's law. Meanwhile, two Swedes competed with their fingernails painted in the colours of the rainbow.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 06:00:14 pm »
Fret not folks, the Olympics will bankrupt Russia too.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*