Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2072615 times)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #4320 on: July 08, 2013, 07:08:26 am »
I woke up this morning to a fucking beetle biting me. That was pleasant.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #4321 on: July 08, 2013, 09:10:59 am »
I woke up this morning to a fucking beetle biting me. That was pleasant.
Ewwww. I once woke up by rolling onto a palmetto bug (basically, a roach).
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

wrightway

« Reply #4322 on: July 08, 2013, 12:01:10 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knohDiCp9fg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knohDiCp9fg</a>
I'm calling fake on that one. The guy screams like a stuck pig just from turning around and seeing the guy with the camera walk through the doorway. He didn't even get particularly close or yell "boo". Even the most timid people in the world aren't that jumpy.

My gram is that timid. She's gotten chest pain just from finding someone has walked up behind her without her knowledge.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #4323 on: July 08, 2013, 12:52:46 pm »
Most of my scares, fears, and creep-outs come from video games like the Silent Hill series or games like Fatal Frame.  In Silent Hill, the earlier ones anyway, there was always this tension that rose and fell and sometimes you dreaded doing something as simple as open a door or pull a switch.  Can hear things in the dark or fog, but can't see them.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #4324 on: July 08, 2013, 01:50:08 pm »
My t key broke. I have to copy+paste a t to type this.

Blahhh.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4325 on: July 08, 2013, 02:37:33 pm »
Most of my scares, fears, and creep-outs come from video games like the Silent Hill series or games like Fatal Frame.  In Silent Hill, the earlier ones anyway, there was always this tension that rose and fell and sometimes you dreaded doing something as simple as open a door or pull a switch.  Can hear things in the dark or fog, but can't see them.

This is generally how good horror works. One of the reasons I like Amnesia as a horror game so much is that it doesn't just fling jump scares and monster closets at you like Cry of Fear. It keeps you on edge by implying "This is the corner where something is going to happen!" and then either nothing happens or it was something relatively benign. If I remember correctly, it not only takes quite a while to see a monster, but the first one you see is damn far away. But it still ends up freaking you out because he's just there when he wasn't before.

Proper horror makes you scared of your own imagination more than what's on the screen. Nothing will ever terrify anyone as much as what their mind invents as possibilities. This is why you stick to ambiguity, Nothing Is Scarier, and unseen sounds or glimpses of things and people in the background.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4326 on: July 08, 2013, 02:43:56 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knohDiCp9fg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knohDiCp9fg</a>
I'm calling fake on that one. The guy screams like a stuck pig just from turning around and seeing the guy with the camera walk through the doorway. He didn't even get particularly close or yell "boo". Even the most timid people in the world aren't that jumpy.

Nope, I'm that jumpy.

When someone is right next to you AND YOU DIDN'T EXPECT THEM TO BE RIGHT NEXT TO YOU, it's just as startling as a sudden noise.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #4327 on: July 08, 2013, 02:44:38 pm »

This is generally how good horror works. One of the reasons I like Amnesia as a horror game so much is that it doesn't just fling jump scares and monster closets at you like Cry of Fear. It keeps you on edge by implying "This is the corner where something is going to happen!" and then either nothing happens or it was something relatively benign. If I remember correctly, it not only takes quite a while to see a monster, but the first one you see is damn far away. But it still ends up freaking you out because he's just there when he wasn't before.

Proper horror makes you scared of your own imagination more than what's on the screen. Nothing will ever terrify anyone as much as what their mind invents as possibilities. This is why you stick to ambiguity, Nothing Is Scarier, and unseen sounds or glimpses of things and people in the background.

Hence why the Doctor Who episode Midnight works so well for horror.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4328 on: July 08, 2013, 02:48:20 pm »
I will say that from my experience at Halloween Horror Nights, people can be terrified of the tiniest thing. As a scareactor, I seriously don't need to do much more than start walking at some people to get them to go "NOPE" and run for the hills. I've literally caused people to sprint, trip, and faceplant simply by standing in their path when they turned around, or following them down the street while still staying about 20 yards behind them the whole time.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #4329 on: July 08, 2013, 02:50:26 pm »
I will say that from my experience at Halloween Horror Nights, people can be terrified of the tiniest thing. As a scareactor, I seriously don't need to do much more than start walking at some people to get them to go "NOPE" and run for the hills. I've literally caused people to sprint, trip, and faceplant simply by standing in their path when they turned around, or following them down the street while still staying about 20 yards behind them the whole time.
That sounds like an awesome job.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #4330 on: July 08, 2013, 02:52:43 pm »
Wow, really? I've been to Halloween Horror Nights a few times when I was a preteen or in my early teens. Nothing legitimately was scary to me, jump scares worked as usual, though. Perhaps it was because at that point I was desensitised to violence and gore, or because my general reaction to horror movies is to root for the villain. Still, my favorite part was that they don't close the Mummy rollercoaster. I've always been a huge fan of it, but the line is evil. Utterly, sadistically, evil.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4331 on: July 08, 2013, 03:10:07 pm »

It's fun, but very difficult. Obviously it's quite physically demanding (you work 45 minute shifts, and actors working on the street need to be in character 100% of the time and scaring as many people as they see), but Universal sells a TON of alcohol. There's a lot of drunks that harass or attack the employees, then have to get literally chased down by police and security that are notorious for not paying nearly enough attention to the guests. Universal also tends to bend over backwards to avoid lawsuits, so non-drunks who act like assholes can threaten lawsuits and HR will panic, give them free stuff or refunds, and punish the actors.

Oh, and you only make minimum wage over the course of 4 or 5 of those 45 minute sets. Meanwhile, the face characters who work the park in the daytime make over twice as much as you and only need to work 10 or 20 minute sets. The irony is that many of those actors continue to complain about it being "too hot to work" or whining about it being too hard. Never mind that we're making less than half of your paycheck on longer shifts and don't even get full employee benefits because we're seasonal!

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #4332 on: July 08, 2013, 03:32:45 pm »
Halloween "Haunted Houses" and whatnot have no effect on me mainly because the strobe lights blind me, and the person with the mask on who's supposed to jump out and scare you always end up helping me out the dead end corners, that I seem to get stuck in.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #4333 on: July 08, 2013, 03:34:35 pm »

It's fun, but very difficult. Obviously it's quite physically demanding (you work 45 minute shifts, and actors working on the street need to be in character 100% of the time and scaring as many people as they see), but Universal sells a TON of alcohol. There's a lot of drunks that harass or attack the employees, then have to get literally chased down by police and security that are notorious for not paying nearly enough attention to the guests. Universal also tends to bend over backwards to avoid lawsuits, so non-drunks who act like assholes can threaten lawsuits and HR will panic, give them free stuff or refunds, and punish the actors.

Oh, and you only make minimum wage over the course of 4 or 5 of those 45 minute sets. Meanwhile, the face characters who work the park in the daytime make over twice as much as you and only need to work 10 or 20 minute sets. The irony is that many of those actors continue to complain about it being "too hot to work" or whining about it being too hard. Never mind that we're making less than half of your paycheck on longer shifts and don't even get full employee benefits because we're seasonal!
I feel bad for you, but I do admit, I have pity for anyone that has to wear a hot costume in a Florida summer. Wearing shorts alone was too hot. Hell, it could be too hot while swimming with nothing on in our pool. I can only imagine the smell in those costumes.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4334 on: July 08, 2013, 04:47:39 pm »

Hence why the Doctor Who episode Midnight works so well for horror.

Not to mention Paranormal Activity, the first one...and, to a slightly lesser degree, the second one.  It was a slow, almost painful, buildup from random, odd things happening to doors slamming and the latter bits, which I shan't spoil for any who've not seen it.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.