Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2070757 times)

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #7770 on: August 16, 2014, 09:36:43 pm »
How about those special people who live up to every definition of judgmental, pushy, arrogant, ect, yet when you call them out on it, they say they're NOT (capitalized for emphasis) being that.  Okay fine, you're not being judgmental, pushy, arrogant, you're being a mother fucking cocksucking piece of shit asshole.  Better?

Depends on what they're being judgmental about. Irrational beliefs deserve constant ridicule.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #7771 on: August 16, 2014, 09:41:59 pm »
How about those special people who live up to every definition of judgmental, pushy, arrogant, ect, yet when you call them out on it, they say they're NOT (capitalized for emphasis) being that.  Okay fine, you're not being judgmental, pushy, arrogant, you're being a mother fucking cocksucking piece of shit asshole.  Better?

Depends on what they're being judgmental about. Irrational beliefs deserve constant ridicule.

Feel like sharing something with the class?

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #7772 on: August 16, 2014, 09:44:43 pm »
I'm always up for a good Flame'n'burn. Lay it on me.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
« Reply #7773 on: August 16, 2014, 09:49:13 pm »
I'm always up for a good Flame'n'burn. Lay it on me.

Just curious why you seemed to take umbrage with his annoyance, most people tend to not unless they feel it is something against them. Being so "jump-to-the-gun" with that post certainly doesn't help to persaude me otherwise.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #7774 on: August 16, 2014, 11:53:26 pm »
Just curious why you seemed to take umbrage with his annoyance, most people tend to not unless they feel it is something against them. Being so "jump-to-the-gun" with that post certainly doesn't help to persaude me otherwise.

His post annoyed me so I posted a response in things that annoy [me].

[/dontexplainthejoke]

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #7775 on: August 17, 2014, 08:08:48 pm »
That my tuition is more expensive because schools give people full scholarships for being sufficiently talented at fucking football. Other sports, too, but mainly football, around here. And then the same people who were arbitrarily passed through middle/high school and got those free college educations that they'll never use get paid millions/year and are adored by tens of millions of people. For being good at any one of tackling people, running, and passing or catching a ball. Fucking deification of athletes...
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
« Reply #7776 on: August 17, 2014, 09:24:01 pm »
In addition to my left hand being basically useless 90% of the time now, my right one is starting to go to shit.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #7777 on: August 17, 2014, 09:40:27 pm »
That my tuition is more expensive because schools give people full scholarships for being sufficiently talented at fucking football. Other sports, too, but mainly football, around here. And then the same people who were arbitrarily passed through middle/high school and got those free college educations that they'll never use get paid millions/year and are adored by tens of millions of people. For being good at any one of tackling people, running, and passing or catching a ball. Fucking deification of athletes...

And meanwhile, basically can't take any jobs, have their scholarship completely subject to the whim of their coach (unlike those who receive awards based on academic merit), really don't have that great a chance at going professional, especially for any decent length of time, and are usually pushed into easy degrees so that their coursework doesn't distract from playing their sport that will be more or less useless after they graduate, not to mention the risk of injury that would end whatever career they might have had in their sport before it even really began.

And for that matter, consider this: Nick Saban, football coach at Alabama, receives a salary of $7,300,000. (Source.) By contrast, the 85 scholarships the University of Alabama can award its football players total, at most, probably $2,000,000. You want to get mad about money being dumped on sports? Don't look at the athletes.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
« Reply #7778 on: August 17, 2014, 09:48:28 pm »
Athletes are also usually free-floated because sports tend to be big money for schools.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #7779 on: August 17, 2014, 10:13:05 pm »
Athletes are also usually free-floated because sports tend to be big money for schools.

True. Unfortunately much of that money is rolled back into the sports programs rather than into the university's general revenues.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
« Reply #7780 on: August 17, 2014, 10:18:41 pm »

True. Unfortunately much of that money is rolled back into the sports programs rather than into the university's general revenues.

That would be a basic investment move, you put more into something that earns you even more money.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #7781 on: August 17, 2014, 10:33:35 pm »

That would be a basic investment move, you put more into something that earns you even more money.

Of course, it's just that it never stops. It's not for no reason that it's said that it can be hard to say whether a university is an academic institution with a sports program attached or a sports program with an academic institution attached.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
« Reply #7782 on: August 17, 2014, 10:36:09 pm »

Of course, it's just that it never stops. It's not for no reason that it's said that it can be hard to say whether a university is an academic institution with a sports program attached or a sports program with an academic institution attached.

Oh, no doubt. A lot of schools have caught onto what sells as well (In their minds, you'd have to be stupid to not continue a good thing), which is sad with how little actually translates into helping the students or non-sports related faculty.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #7783 on: August 17, 2014, 10:46:52 pm »
Oh, no doubt. A lot of schools have caught onto what sells as well (In their minds, you'd have to be stupid to not continue a good thing), which is sad with how little actually translates into helping the students or non-sports related faculty.

Well, with the students (the student-athletes at least) the NCAA is partly to blame for it, as they restrict what schools can give them and restrict what they can do outside of their activities with their school's teams (at least so long as they want to preserve their eligibility). They want to keep agents and pro teams from having too much influence over the students, but it just puts them in a sh*tty situation.

NCAA D-I FBS football players might well be the most underpaid athletes relative to revenue in all of sport.

And since this is a thread for things that annoy me, I hate people who say that the NCAA D-I FBS regular season is the greatest in all of sports. I would refer them to multi-tier leagues, say in football in Europe, where teams are playing hard the entire season to get into promotion spots and keep out of relegation spots.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #7784 on: August 18, 2014, 12:36:02 am »

And meanwhile, basically can't take any jobs, have their scholarship completely subject to the whim of their coach (unlike those who receive awards based on academic merit), really don't have that great a chance at going professional, especially for any decent length of time, and are usually pushed into easy degrees so that their coursework doesn't distract from playing their sport that will be more or less useless after they graduate, not to mention the risk of injury that would end whatever career they might have had in their sport before it even really began.

And for that matter, consider this: Nick Saban, football coach at Alabama, receives a salary of $7,300,000. (Source.) By contrast, the 85 scholarships the University of Alabama can award its football players total, at most, probably $2,000,000. You want to get mad about money being dumped on sports? Don't look at the athletes.

I know. I just find it annoying that this one specific asshole I know who can't spell squirrel or basket, and once asked me if Windows '95 or '98 came out first without a hint of irony (I was talking computers while he was in the room and he overheard). And he gets a full ride through college.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".