Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2077323 times)

Even Then

Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #9135 on: October 03, 2015, 01:11:21 pm »
Were they also whining about "reverse racism" or whatever?

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #9136 on: October 03, 2015, 02:10:57 pm »
Were they also whining about "reverse racism" or whatever?
Yes

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #9137 on: October 03, 2015, 02:55:22 pm »
Now, to be fair, there might be something of a double standard in how the media is hyping this up while similar cases are dropped.  But there are other factors to consider, such as racism and/or Islamophobia playing a role in this.  I'd say that would account for at least some of this story's endurance.

Even Then

« Reply #9138 on: October 03, 2015, 03:38:48 pm »
When I have to clean up my computer and my save files disappear.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #9139 on: October 03, 2015, 05:48:49 pm »
Interestingly, I read in Distind's post where he says that FSTDT has been declining the last few years. Almost as if cutting the forum loose may have had an effect? It would be fitting indeed if a small group of us took the old site on board.

Both the forums and the FSTDT site seemed to feed off each other symbiotically.  When one was removed, the other went downhill.  Maybe recombining the two would foster a resurgence of new members in both places.

Even Then

« Reply #9140 on: October 03, 2015, 05:57:27 pm »
When people use in-universe justification for skeevy/bigoted/problematic elements in fiction. Fiction. Is. Designed. By. Real. People. It doesn't just form magically in the mystical Fictionland, FUCK this apologist bullshit.

(And no, this time it isn't about Quiet.)

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #9141 on: October 03, 2015, 06:23:03 pm »
When people use in-universe justification for skeevy/bigoted/problematic elements in fiction. Fiction. Is. Designed. By. Real. People. It doesn't just form magically in the mystical Fictionland, FUCK this apologist bullshit.

(And no, this time it isn't about Quiet.)

can you be more explicit? i can't seem to grasp what you're getting at.

i've got a pen and paper rpg that's set in post-apocalyptia and things like cannibalism, homosexuality, and bloodsports are common practices. hell, one "race" of those people are to a t polyamorous, forming clans instead of families. another race is so patriarchal as to mirror saudi arabia. that doesn't mean that me and my friends are sociopathic misogynists. we enjoy that universe precisely because it puts our worldview on its head. (that and because we've got a running game of genealogy that borders on the surrealistic thanks to the in-game concepts of filiation). but yeah, it's mostly about it being so "out-there" that we enjoy this group thought excercise.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Even Then

« Reply #9142 on: October 03, 2015, 06:27:26 pm »
It's actually past midnight over here so I'm not at my most coherent, I'll get back to this.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #9143 on: October 03, 2015, 06:45:36 pm »
It's actually past midnight over here so I'm not at my most coherent, I'll get back to this.

past midnight for me too, but whenever you're ready. just remember there's a world of difference between prejudice and make-believe.  :)

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #9144 on: October 03, 2015, 08:12:48 pm »
When people end their (often nonsensical) comments with "just sayin." As if that absolves them entirely.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #9145 on: October 03, 2015, 09:23:34 pm »
Now I have to call on Monday and cancel that appointment, and then call the Medicaid office because I didn't turn the renewal form in on time. Fuck this healthcare system.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 09:26:08 pm by nickiknack »

Even Then

« Reply #9146 on: October 04, 2015, 06:24:23 am »
can you be more explicit? i can't seem to grasp what you're getting at.

i've got a pen and paper rpg that's set in post-apocalyptia and things like cannibalism, homosexuality, and bloodsports are common practices. hell, one "race" of those people are to a t polyamorous, forming clans instead of families. another race is so patriarchal as to mirror saudi arabia. that doesn't mean that me and my friends are sociopathic misogynists. we enjoy that universe precisely because it puts our worldview on its head. (that and because we've got a running game of genealogy that borders on the surrealistic thanks to the in-game concepts of filiation). but yeah, it's mostly about it being so "out-there" that we enjoy this group thought excercise.

A'ight, I'm gone and I'm back. I speedwrite, and my loose leaf's my launch pad.

First off, no, your thing isn't what I'm talking about. I get the appeal of making characters go through horrible things (I am an RPer, after all XD), and from my point of view, misogyny and the like can have a narrative purpose if used right. I also like thought experiments of the "horrible, but narratively compelling" variety.

But here's the thing, condensed into a pithy Tumblr-style dialogue:

person: this episode of <show> is transphobic because the humour mostly and unironically consists of "hahaha this masculine-looking person is doing something associated with femininity, that's the punchline, that's the joke"
jackass: um actually it's NOT transphobic because in-universe the character...

See what I mean? There's even a video about it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxV8gAGmbtk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxV8gAGmbtk</a>

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #9147 on: October 04, 2015, 11:58:52 am »
Had a fight with mom about the house, it's like she doesn't even give a shit about losing it. Wish I knew why I care more about than her, I think it's because she doesn't have to start over again as bad as I do if we move in with my sister, because she's of retirement age, while I have to completely start over again, and  have had a very bad experience being unemployed in the past.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 12:13:45 pm by nickiknack »

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #9148 on: October 04, 2015, 12:20:45 pm »
right, i get where you're coming from, and i agree to an extent. i haven't been too confronted to it, so i can't say it annoys me like it seemingly does you.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Even Then

« Reply #9149 on: October 04, 2015, 12:39:45 pm »
Well, to be honest, I've just seen this being talked about by trans people (being cis myself). So I might be off base.