Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2072331 times)

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #9825 on: March 25, 2016, 08:27:38 pm »

Eh, I don't mind. And what happened between Even then and Dakota is between Even then and Dakota.

ETA: and at least with regards to me, he does have a point.

It's not about the specific incident, really. It's more of a general thing. I don't like seeing that sort of thing in general.

But hey, 's all good now.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9826 on: March 26, 2016, 06:18:11 am »
Dad and his new woman have repainted the room that used to be mine. There is a new floor there as well now.

My wife thinks this is not a problem since it used to look "70s" but a piece of me is crying inside even though the conscious part of me knows this should not be a big deal.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #9827 on: March 26, 2016, 09:27:39 am »
Awww. I can relate, Askold. Years ago, I made the mistake of going to see the old family home where most of my childhood memories were lived. I was visiting the area on trip from Atlanta, and just on a whim, drove over. The same couple that bought the place from us fifteen years before were still there, so they knew who I was, and very graciously let me in for a guided tour and a visit over coffee. They had done a wonderful job of both maintaining and modernizing the house, which my grandparents built in the late thirties. I bet you can guess how weird it felt to be there. Later, I could not stop the tears while driving away. The place was beautiful, but it just was not "home" any more.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 09:55:06 am by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Belloc

« Reply #9828 on: March 26, 2016, 09:35:12 am »
To continue the family thread:

My father has an attitude that everything he's ever given me is still his. When I get rid of an ancient video game system that no longer works, he treats it like I've personally insulted him. Sell cooking supplies the family got me in college, then I've sold the family dog. Sell some movies? I must have a drug problem. I've reached the point of telling him, "Either ask me to write you a check for being born or stop." This is particularly annoying because I am a minimalist and frugalist.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #9829 on: March 26, 2016, 09:46:23 am »
Wow. I can relate, somewhat. My mom was a domineering control freak, too. Not being allowed any real control over your own things can be a big blow to your self esteem while growing up. Our family dog solved the problem by making my mom the only person she ever snarled at, and by hiding her toys and bones in the crawlspace under the house. Even animals understand and honor the concept of personal possessions.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #9830 on: March 29, 2016, 06:57:32 pm »
I haven't eaten since yesterday. Didn't have money when I thought I had when I went to lunch today. And I don't eat breakfast, so...
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Even Then

« Reply #9831 on: March 30, 2016, 05:08:49 am »
So I find this cool, free new RPG Maker game called Fleuret Blanc, right? And I want to install it and play that shit, since it looks really interesting. But every time I try to run the installer, it stops responding as soon as it hits 93%. And the only LP of the game I could find is in freaking German, and I can't be arsed to put up with that even though the game itself would still be in English.

Fucking A.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #9832 on: March 31, 2016, 02:51:24 pm »
When people act like something being a "coping mechanism" makes said thing beyond reproach or criticism.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9833 on: March 31, 2016, 04:08:04 pm »
I have trouble telling apart trolls and racists. I can debate with a racist or conspiracy theorists and other people who disagree with me. I actually like talking with people who disagree over issues because it forces me to justify my own beliefs. But when I find out that the other person was just trolling me all along it just feels like all that time and energy has gone to waste.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #9834 on: March 31, 2016, 04:13:19 pm »
I have trouble telling apart trolls and racists. I can debate with a racist or conspiracy theorists and other people who disagree with me. I actually like talking with people who disagree over issues because it forces me to justify my own beliefs. But when I find out that the other person was just trolling me all along it just feels like all that time and energy has gone to waste.

At least if the debate takes place in public you can take solace in the possibility that, even if your opponent was being completely dishonest, you may have persuaded others who were listening.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #9835 on: March 31, 2016, 04:15:47 pm »
Think of it as batting practice.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #9836 on: April 02, 2016, 11:27:28 pm »
Fucking Tampermonkey updated and broke the really useful script that marked new livejournal and dreamwidth comments as "NEW", which also seems to be the only script of its kind that I can find.  Looking at the reviews, it seems I wasn't the only one today's update fucked over.

EDIT:  After hours of digging around on the internet and fiddling with the code, I finally got the script working again.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 04:16:25 pm by Iosa the Invincible »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9837 on: April 05, 2016, 08:37:25 am »
People forgetting or not realizing that I don't do subtext.  I do my damndest to just say what I mean because people who pussyfoot around the actual issue get fuck all done because they end up communicating poorly and frustrating everyone because they expect people to be fucking psychic.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #9838 on: April 05, 2016, 03:20:27 pm »
IGN's reviews.  I know what you're going to say about game reviews but still, wtf is up with their reviews?  So many of them go like, "This is the best game ever made, it's amazing! It has no flaws!  It will cure your cancer and make you live forever! - 7.2 out of 10".  Obviously hyperbolic but you get the point - review scores that bear little to no relation to the write-up or the positives/negatives box where the score is located and you wonder if they've confused reviews for 2 different games and put the wrong score.  I've genuinely seen reviews with a glowing write-up and literally not a single negative in that red box, just a long list of positives and the game's gotten a 7-point-something score.  If there are no negatives worth speaking of how can it not be a 9-something or 10?  It makes no sense.

I assume they do it on purpose as some kind of controversy for click-bait type of thing?  It's either that or there's way too much crack being smoked at that office.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 03:25:35 pm by Katsuro »

Offline Delirium

• Bishop
  • "i choose my own way to burn." - sophie scholl
« Reply #9839 on: April 06, 2016, 09:17:47 pm »
I'm doing a group project and half the group hasn't shown up for any of the damn meetings.