Author Topic: Dumbest Protest Signs  (Read 1115734 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Dumbest Protest Signs
« Reply #3945 on: March 07, 2015, 07:44:21 pm »
Why does the dude on the right have to be wearing a Nightwish shirt?  Damn it, couldn't be wearing a MCR shirt...bah.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3946 on: March 08, 2015, 03:28:47 am »
Why does the dude on the right have to be wearing a Nightwish shirt?  Damn it, couldn't be wearing a MCR shirt...bah.
Because Nightwish invited Dawkins to their album and Christians all over Finland are burning the records of the band in protest?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #3947 on: March 08, 2015, 04:26:43 am »
My sister stopped listening to Nightwish for a while after she heard the kinslayer.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #3948 on: March 08, 2015, 04:33:08 am »
I love that song.

I play it while RPing out mecha battles on a RP forum I frequent.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3949 on: March 08, 2015, 09:40:04 am »
Because Nightwish invited Dawkins to their album and Christians all over Finland are burning the records of the band in protest?

HAHAHAHAHA.  Aah, that's funny.  I swear, people like that don't get that old media is pretty much pointless, nowadays.  Burning a record?  Woooooooooo, its not like I could go on to, say, iTunes and download their songs to my MP3 player...if I happened to have a single Apple product in my house, which I do not.  Hell, if all else fails, I'm all but certain that copies of their new stuff will be on The Pirate Bay within minutes of their release in about sixteen different audio formats.

Seriously, the day the net started going at speeds faster than dial-up was the day shit like that and book burnings became little more than a sideshow.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #3950 on: March 08, 2015, 10:00:45 am »
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #3951 on: March 08, 2015, 10:02:52 am »

Isn't it weird that NO ONE is offended by the flag, but they are pissed at dumb fucks who make these stupid claims?
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #3952 on: March 08, 2015, 11:49:21 am »

No, it's not weird that happens in all those places in the world where that flag has heralded the arrival of death, destruction, and despotism.

The naivety that the mighty U.S. is alone amongst the nations of the word in welcoming immigrants to your shores is pretty fucking funny too, and that is to say nothing of the laughable state of your 'benefits' compared to those of other first world nations.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3953 on: March 08, 2015, 01:04:29 pm »

No, it's not weird that happens in all those places in the world where that flag has heralded the arrival of death, destruction, and despotism.

The naivety that the mighty U.S. is alone amongst the nations of the word in welcoming immigrants to your shores is pretty fucking funny too, and that is to say nothing of the laughable state of your 'benefits' compared to those of other first world nations.

It's the "my country right or wrong" mentality taken to the extreme of "my country is always right".
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #3954 on: March 08, 2015, 06:08:03 pm »

HAHAHAHAHA.  Aah, that's funny.  I swear, people like that don't get that old media is pretty much pointless, nowadays.  Burning a record?  Woooooooooo, its not like I could go on to, say, iTunes and download their songs to my MP3 player...if I happened to have a single Apple product in my house, which I do not.  Hell, if all else fails, I'm all but certain that copies of their new stuff will be on The Pirate Bay within minutes of their release in about sixteen different audio formats.

Seriously, the day the net started going at speeds faster than dial-up was the day shit like that and book burnings became little more than a sideshow.

Book (et al) burnings have been more symbolic than anything for a while now. Arguably since the printing press.
Σא

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #3955 on: March 08, 2015, 07:08:21 pm »

It's the "my country right or wrong" mentality taken to the extreme of "my country is always right".

The extreme? That's always been the meaning I took away from people who spouted that sort of nonsense.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3956 on: March 08, 2015, 07:13:37 pm »

The extreme? That's always been the meaning I took away from people who spouted that sort of nonsense.

I've tended to understand the phrase "my country right or wrong" in the context of this bit from South Park:

No, dude. America may have some problems, but it's our home. Our team. And if you don't wanna root for your team, then you should get the hell out of the stadium.

A lot of people take that a lot farther, but I don't think the phrase automatically extends.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #3957 on: March 08, 2015, 08:55:33 pm »

I've tended to understand the phrase "my country right or wrong" in the context of this bit from South Park:

No, dude. America may have some problems, but it's our home. Our team. And if you don't wanna root for your team, then you should get the hell out of the stadium.

A lot of people take that a lot farther, but I don't think the phrase automatically extends.

I feel like this is an opportune time to point out that the full quote is "My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3958 on: March 08, 2015, 09:57:18 pm »

I feel like this is an opportune time to point out that the full quote is "My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Sounds like a good credo to live by.  Remember: patriotism is a virtue, jingoism is a vice.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #3959 on: March 08, 2015, 10:46:49 pm »

That's a twist on the phrase, not the original quote. A better version, to be sure.
Σא