Author Topic: Why college?  (Read 3464 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Why college?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 01:58:56 pm »
Fuck that shit.  Dude your tone was like that of UP at his most Gooberlygator.  I have no idea what the hell happened but you suddenly changed.

Ironbite-and I don't like the change.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 03:51:02 pm »
Respectfully don't see what you mean, Ibbs. Rookie clarified in detail in several posts. Personally, I saw no rancor or disrespect in any posts. I will offer that sometimes rookie's punctuation and/or spelling can give the impression that an auto-correct is undermining him at times. Or, he can be quick and a little messy when he edits. Example, the first sentence of his initial post. There is a biggish space bar gap in there along with the repeated word and comma that leads me to guess it was a sloppy bit of editing, not a deliberate repetition to emphasize derision.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 03:54:38 pm »
Then I guess I must be crazy then because all I saw in rookie's OP was this Gooblygook shit stirring question.

Ironbite-lock me up.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 04:22:06 pm »
Maybe working ones way up is the wrong turn of phrase. I meant working your way up to a comfortable life. I know you aren't going to start entry level and rise to CEO. But I can cover my needs and a good deal of my wants. That's all I meant.

I won't speak for anyone but myself, but I meant that, as well, when I said its a near-impossible pipe dream that died with my generation.  You'll work your ass off, but you're much more likely to live hand-to-mouth than you are to have anything at all resembling comfort.  You and some others got lucky, but overall, your chances of having that happen are very, very slim to the point that relying on it is tantamount to financial suicide.  Even with a shit degree, you'll still make more than people who don't have one at all, that's the point.  The debt is crippling, but honestly, most people don't have a choice.  For example, I don't have a choice.  I'm a software engineer.  To move up, I need a degree, otherwise, I'd be stuck in a junior position, and that's best-case.  So, I either sit at the bottom, or take on debt, but gain the ability to get meaningful promotions and, with them, more money and all the benefits that brings.

Sleepy, if I can give you a piece of advice I had to experience to learn. If your unsure what career path to take, one will find you. If one doesn't make that decision, that person will find themselves somewhere looking around going "Well shit".

Taking a passive role is a good way to end up destitute, if that's what you're saying.  You have to seek it out and, sometimes, you have to do things you don't necessarily like to make the money to enable you to pursue a hobby you enjoy.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 08:07:17 am »
That's exactly what I was saying in response to not knowing what you want to do, Sleepy.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.