Author Topic: Crowdfunding sites shutting down militia fundraiser  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Crowdfunding sites shutting down militia fundraiser
« on: April 21, 2019, 02:03:36 am »
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/salvadorhernandez/militia-border-crowdfunding-migrants-detain-paypal

So... These guys are wandering around near the southern border of USA, wear badges that have been made to look like police badges and detain people at gunpoint. And since they aren't authorities and merely pretend to be, that's called kidnapping in the civilized world. In USA though it appears that the only ones who have an issue with it are Paypal and GoFundMe who have now shut down their donations for violating site rules.

Known as the United Constitutional Patriots (UCP), the militia has been patrolling a remote stretch of the New Mexico desert near the Mexico border for months with heavily armed members reportedly detaining dozens of migrants a day.

The group has used the thousands of dollars donated online to supply food, gasoline, propane, and a portable toilet at a camp in Sunland, New Mexico, but by Friday members of the militia learned they would no longer be able to use PayPal or GoFundMe to raise money.

"They killed us," Mark Cheney, who described himself as commander of United Constitutional Patriots, told BuzzFeed News in a phone interview. "I have to find some other way for people to donate."

Peter Simonson, executive director for the ACLU of New Mexico, said citizen arrests can only be made in the case of a felony. Illegal entry into the US is a misdemeanor, and not reason enough for a person to carry out a citizen's arrest.

Simonson said he grew concerned about the militia impersonating law enforcement officers after watching videos posted by the group.

"That's one crime that is a federal felony," Simonson told BuzzFeed News. "I also suspect the militias could be guilty of false imprisonment and maybe even kidnapping, and that's just the tip of the iceberg."

...But apparently the border patrol and police are fine with working with these criminals?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Crowdfunding sites shutting down militia fundraiser
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 02:45:57 am »
https://www.theroot.com/class-action-lawsuit-claims-thousands-of-ice-detainees-1793008061

Well when you consider that ICE may well be engaging in literal slavery...
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 08:10:40 am »
Border Patrol also claims these guys are stealing materials.

Ironbite-so really only ICE is ok with Trump's SS.

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 07:40:18 pm »
Didn't they just arrest the leader of these assholes?  Of course, it's only because someone was making CBP and ICE look bad by working with random wackos...

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 02:45:02 am »
Their leader was arrested for gun crimes. Not for kidnapping people or for impersonating a police officer though. Perhaps they are building a case for those charges? ACLU at least appears interested in seeing them behind bars and may bring the story to news in order to force authorities to do something to save their face.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!