Author Topic: RIP George H. W. Bush  (Read 2315 times)

Online dpareja

• The Beast
RIP George H. W. Bush
« on: December 01, 2018, 12:22:26 am »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Art Vandelay

Re: RIP George H. W. Bush
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 12:31:53 am »
That gets a big old meh from me.

Online dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 12:38:45 am »
That gets a big old meh from me.

But just think how much worse off the world will be with one less famous old guy groping young women and telling them that his favourite stage magician is David Cop-a-Feel.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 01:09:00 am »
^On the other hand an alternate history where he beat Reagan in 1980 primary would be a far better place.  I wouldn't call myself a fan of the guy or anything but as far as republican presidents go he wasn't that bad.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 01:54:07 am »
^On the other hand an alternate history where he beat Reagan in 1980 primary would be a far better place.  I wouldn't call myself a fan of the guy or anything but as far as republican presidents go he wasn't that bad.

This. I'm neither mourning nor celebrating Bush's death, but at least he wasn't Reagan.
Who needs a signature?

Online dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 03:52:26 am »

If that continues with, "And then he lost in the general to Carter," it would definitely be a far better place.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 06:37:36 am »
If the best you can really say about him is that he's less shit than Reagan, well then that pretty much says it all.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:35:29 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 10:30:33 am »
Art, that he wasn't Reagan was far from the best thing one can say about him. Sweet Jeebus, remember all the goofy things he'd say on tv? Dubya got it from somewhere.

Something else, too. Say what you will about the man, but he really truly loved Barbara. I don't know, this era of "David Cop-a-feel", when of all my friends' marriages 2 have lasted for than 5 years, I really think that says something.

Bush the president may have left much to be desired. But Bush the husband, him I may miss. As well as Bush, the WWII navy fighter pilot. But that last one may be more personal than anything.
ETA: the WWII thing is very personal. That was my grandfather's war. And at my last job Vietnam was the median Grandfather's war. Let's mr know that very soon Iraq and Afghanistan will be the Grandfather's war.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:41:46 am by rookie »
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 10:37:17 am »
Art, that he wasn't Reagan was far from the best thing one can say about him. Sweet Jeebus, remember all the goofy things he'd say on tv? Dubya got it from somewhere.
Not really. Though in my defence, I was a little too not yet alive to really appreciate his brain farts.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 03:31:34 pm »
Bush the man was what we should all strive to be.  Bush the President was a monster with a lot of blood on his hands.

Ironbite-Carter outlived another one.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 01:45:09 am »
^What's the source of that blood?

Cause on the one hand yeah he did typical republican racist, classist shit, which was still bad even if Reagan was much worse.

But if we're talking about the Gulf war, I'd honestly defend him a bit and say I think a bunch of liberals take a stance of "I don't like his domestic policies, so anything bad that happened on his watch is all his fault."  The war was Saddam's fault, he choose to break international law and invade another country setting off a potential giant regional crisis and Bush responded by simply driving him out of Kuwait and stopping their,unlike his idiot son.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 08:18:11 am »
Skybison, the man was head of the CIA during the height of the Cold War. I have no doubt the blood on his hands was there. Comes with the job.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 07:28:21 am »
Yeah, I don't mind his Gulf war as much as the second one. The second one was Jr trippin out and trying to be a hero like daddy and going head first into places that barely had anything to do with 9/11 in the first place. Then he decided it was a good idea to stay and continue mucking around when the "mission" was accomplished.

That then led to Obama not being able to fix it and then now we're still over there and it's been literally 75% of my life or some shit that we've been in there.