Author Topic: Arizona Immigration Law at the Supreme Court  (Read 2435 times)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Arizona Immigration Law at the Supreme Court
« on: April 25, 2012, 11:03:39 pm »
The controversial immigration is currently being argued before the Supreme Court

The case centers around four provisions in the Arizona law that have been blocked from going into effect by two lower courts.

Besides requiring law enforcement officers to verify the legal status of everyone they stop whom they suspect might be in the country illegally, the law would give officials the right to arrest foreign citizens they suspect might have committed a deportable offense; make it a state crime for immigrants not to register to be in the country legally; and make it a crime in Arizona for illegal immigrants to work and for employers to hire illegal immigrants.

In a case steeped in election-year politics, conservative and liberal justices alike expressed doubts about the government’s argument that the Arizona law was an unconstitutional intrusion on the federal government’s power to enforce immigration law.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/223659-justices-seem-favorable-to-arizona-immigration-law?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Re: Arizona Immigration Law at the Supreme Court
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 11:05:30 pm »
Sees how the swing vote said that we should assume we are all criminals
we're doomed

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 11:17:54 pm »
My problem with the law is the whole "it's ok to racial profile folks" part. I'll be ok with the law if it wasn't for that part. But it's Arizona, that state has gone down the deep end of craziness.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 03:14:00 am »
The only reason any of this is happening is because the federal government refuses to fix the hopelessly broken immigration and naturalization system (which is unquestionably a federal responsibility under the Constitution).  The states are taking matters into their own hands, despite having little to no expertise on these matters and highly dubious constitutional authority.

This is what you get when you allow issues to become too politicized.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 03:44:55 am »
Besides requiring law enforcement officers to verify the legal status of everyone they stop

seems reasonable so far.
whom they suspect might be in the country illegally
Oh wait there the go and racially profile people.

I don't really mind the police enforcing immigration laws, but when it is not enforced completely and indiscriminately it just becomes a way to harass brown people. I agree that America has a huge immigration problem that really needs to be fixed, but laws like these really just seem to be the usual bout of racism and bigotry.

Offline speshuled67

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 04:14:27 am »
“But does the attorney general come in and say, you know, we might really only want to go after the professional bank robbers?” Scalia said. “If it’s just an amateur bank robber, you know, we’re going to let it go. And the state’s interfering with our whole scheme here because it’s prosecuting all these bank robbers.”

says antonin scalia entirely missing the point.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/04/scalia-likens-undocumented-immigrants-to-bank-robbers.php

no, illegal immigration is nothing like bank robbery.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

-Isaac Asimov

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 12:05:14 pm »
I don't really mind the police enforcing immigration laws, but when it is not enforced completely and indiscriminately it just becomes a way to harass brown people. I agree that America has a huge immigration problem that really needs to be fixed, but laws like these really just seem to be the usual bout of racism and bigotry.

THIS. You can have decent immigration laws without being a douche and finding an excuse just to harass brown people. But we are the ones bringing up the racial bigotry, so says the right wing...

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 01:17:50 pm »
My apologies to sane residents of Arizona, but your state makes me feel like this:

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 02:11:31 pm »
My apologies to sane residents of Arizona, but your state makes me feel like this:

No no no, that's not the right attitude!  Try this, instead.

Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 07:15:27 pm »
The US does not have an immigration problem. The US has net 0 immigration from Mexico, trending downwards.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 07:32:37 pm »
The US does not have an immigration problem. The US has net 0 immigration from Mexico, trending downwards.
But who will pick our fruit?  Seriously when they kicked out Mexicans out of Alabama then no crops were harvested