Author Topic: The One Sentence Tax Code Challenge  (Read 5441 times)

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
The One Sentence Tax Code Challenge
« on: January 24, 2012, 08:01:19 am »
So Mitt released his tax returns for the last two years, and lo and behold, he made more than $40 million and paid less than 15% in taxes. He amassed vast wealth when he worked for Bain and ever since then that wealth has been generating more wealth without the slightest bit of effort on his part. Mitt is utterly unapologetic about this, saying "I will not apologize for being successful" and "I paid every dime in taxes I owed and not a penny more." Gee, Mitt, that's nice, but you, and everyone else, is missing the damn point.

The point is that the system is broken. The current tax code is designed so that if you have a lot of money, you can use that money to generate even more money exponentially, and this new money is taxed at a significantly lower level than any other form of income. But the only way to access this is to already have vast wealth to start with. Now, the system was originally intended to stimulate investment, growth, and innovation, and it probably did that at first. Now the only real practical effect of the system is to allow the wealthy access to special rules that make them more and more wealthy, ever widening the gap between the haves and the have-nots. And since there is only a finite amount of wealth to go around, as the rich get richer, everyone else gets poorer. Which is great if you happen to be rich, but it sucks balls if you don't, because it has become an essentially closed system.

The challenge here is to re-write the tax code into a single sentence. It can be a compound-complex sentence, but no run-on sentences allowed. You may write a brief explanation of your one-sentence tax code following your proposal. Please place your one-sentence tax code at the top of your response in bold, skip a line or two, then add an explanation if you so choose.
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
Re: The One Sentence Tax Code Challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 08:04:51 am »
The first $200,000 of earned income shall be exempt from taxation with all income over that taxed at a flat 50% rate.

I know it's overly simplistic, but under this system, Mitt would still have made more than $20 million over the last two years. He would still be incredibly wealthy. Newt would have still made more than $1.5 million over the same time period and he would still be very rich. None of the rich will suddenly become poor, but the average schmuck on the street would see their income jump by between $3,000 and $10,000 a year. And since the only way to stimulate a consumer economy is to get money in the hands of people who actually spend it....that would stimulate the economy.
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 08:44:32 am »
The first $200,000 of earned income shall be exempt from taxation with all income over that taxed at a flat 50% rate.

I know it's overly simplistic, but under this system, Mitt would still have made more than $20 million over the last two years. He would still be incredibly wealthy. Newt would have still made more than $1.5 million over the same time period and he would still be very rich. None of the rich will suddenly become poor, but the average schmuck on the street would see their income jump by between $3,000 and $10,000 a year. And since the only way to stimulate a consumer economy is to get money in the hands of people who actually spend it....that would stimulate the economy.

Which you'll never see happen. The'll just scream "trickle down economics" or some such and continue hoarding wealth.
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 10:55:48 am »
The thing is, I can't make it in one sentence. Hell I can't even make one in one page, or 10 pages. The mathematical savant in mine prevents simplicity, but also I recognize some of the credits and benefits in there are put there for a reason. To start with, what is "earned income"? As opposed to unearned? Can I call capital gains unearned, and thus untaxed? And we're back to where we started.

Every tax code needs to start with a progressive tax base. No one earning below the poverty line should pay income or payroll taxes, and the floor on taxes on retirement funds should be kept lower than the standard cap gains. There should be credits on items like children, books, education, and other things we know to assist the family in making a better life. A simplistic tax code will remove many of these basic things that shield poor families, and much more. Simplification of the tax code in this case is a bald conservative ruse to eliminate most of the benefits given to poor people via the tax system.

The other side, however is where the "benefits" need to be reviewed and/or eliminated. The biggest problem with Romney's tax rate is cap gains; He earns  almost 75% of his income through investments, as do most successful businessmen and affluent people, and are taxed at only 15%. A significant number are from blind trusts, which Romney has no control over, but are making money anyway. He makes money in his sleep, basically. In addition to that, he gets a small amount in foreign tax credit. The actual amount of earnings through wages (and thus taxed at a schedule similar to us average wageslaves)? Zero. Because even his speaking fees are run through corporations, he himself escapes most of the tax through loopholes. And I'm not even pointing out the loopholes for corporations (see: GE's 0% tax rate). It is the top end of the tax code that needs simplifying, cutting, to a point where at least, the millionaires don't pay a tax rate lower than the guy working in middle management.

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 11:02:23 am »
Taxes on income will be done away with; all purchases of non-essential items will be subject to a tax rate of 40%, non-essential items meaning things not necessary for survival (food, clothes, houses under $70,000, basic transportation, etc., would be considered essential and therefore not taxed, houses over $70,000 and second homes, luxury cars, jewelry, yachts, plane tickets, etc., would be non-essential).

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 11:04:18 am by Kali »

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 11:17:49 am »
Taxes on income will be done away with; all purchases of non-essential items will be subject to a tax rate of 40%, non-essential items meaning things not necessary for survival (food, clothes, houses under $70,000, basic transportation, etc., would be considered essential and therefore not taxed, houses over $70,000 and second homes, luxury cars, jewelry, yachts, plane tickets, etc., would be non-essential).
That's a fantastic way to kill the middle class and do absolutely nothing to the very rich.

Offline Auri-El

• Pope
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 11:18:52 am »
Um, last I knew, the middle class wasn't buying luxury cars and yachts, the rich were.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 11:26:39 am »
The middle class is buying plane tickets, for example.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 11:28:00 am »
Um, last I knew, the middle class wasn't buying luxury cars and yachts, the rich were.
The middle class buys a lot of things that are not strictly necessary to survival*. A home under $70,000 is not an expensive house. The middle class spends a fair bit of their money on luxuries so they would eat quite a tax burden. Whereas even if the rich spend more on luxuries on an absolute scale, it's not so much when you view it as a proportion of income. Finally, what that tax code would do is absolutely kill demand and mean there would not be jobs because people would not buy shit due to wanting to avoid taxation. Do you know why unemployment is so high right now? It's due to a lack of demand for goods and services.

ETA: One thing I just thought of, companies. Your tax code completely ignores them and they can claim everything they buy is essential for day to day operations. They will thank you for freeing them of taxation completely.

*One such example is my parents owning a motorboat and a 5th wheel camper and live in a house that cost >$100k 10 years ago . Wanna know what they do for a living? My mother teaches elementary school and my father works for a car dealership and sells used parts. My aunt and uncle have similar luxuries; my aunt is a nurse and my uncle is a custodian for a school system. If you want to call them rich, feel free, but that would be asinine.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 11:36:19 am by Vene »

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 11:28:13 am »
Hmm. A fun thought. Ok. Well, then, let me see what I can do. This will be personal taxes. I don't see how I can fit corporate taxes, 501(c)s, or anything else into one sentence, no matter how complex.

Every dollar made between $20,000-$40,000 will be taxed 6%, $40,000.01-$60,000 will be taxed 9%, and so on with another three percent added to every $20,000 until the maximum rate of 38%

First of all, the percentages were pulled out of my ass. I have no idea how much it would take to keep the wheels of the United States turning. But I think the principle would still apply. So, in the Rookie Tax Plan, someone making, say, $50,000 a year, the taxes would break down thusly. The first $20k would not be taxed. Dollars $20k-$40k would be hit with six percent. The remaining $10k would be 9%. I know, it's very simplistic and probably bad for, well, everyone. But I am not an economist or accountant.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Auri-El

• Pope
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 11:36:46 am »
Fine, point taken.

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 12:58:15 pm »
Those making at or below a living wage (to be reevaluated each year to adjust for inflation and prices of food and whatnot) shall pay no income taxes. Just above that line to lower middle class pay 5% income tax, middle to upper middle (and small businesses) pay 10%, and the wealthy and corporations pay 20%; in addition, investment gains, inheritances, and other "unearned" money (money that was not actually earned by the beneficiary) shall have a flat 7% tax.

I have no concept of tax brackets or what "middle class" actually is, and the percentages are also pulled out of my ass, but I think the concept is clear enough?

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 01:42:17 pm »
(snipped)
middle to upper middle (and small businesses) pay 10%, and the wealthy and corporations pay 20%; in addition, investment gains, inheritances, and other "unearned" money (money that was not actually earned by the beneficiary) shall have a flat 7% tax.

Corporations can be small businesses. All it takes to be a corporation is to file the proper paperwork with your state. So if two people want to incorporate their computer repair service, they can. The entire corporation is the two of them, but they are a corporation.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 02:28:30 pm »
All gross personal income and net business profits shall be taxed at an increasing rate of 0.5% per $10,000 with caps of 75% and 25% respectively.

That would put the tax rate for a person, or family making $30,000 per year at 1.5% and a person making a $1 million at 50%.

Businesses get a much lower cap because the effective corporate tax rate is much lower now; this would be an increase for most, but spare smaller businesses.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 02:30:38 pm »
That's very interesting m52n. I like yours better than mine.