Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2072381 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #4335 on: July 08, 2013, 06:00:38 pm »
I will say that from my experience at Halloween Horror Nights, people can be terrified of the tiniest thing. As a scareactor, I seriously don't need to do much more than start walking at some people to get them to go "NOPE" and run for the hills. I've literally caused people to sprint, trip, and faceplant simply by standing in their path when they turned around, or following them down the street while still staying about 20 yards behind them the whole time.
That sounds like an awesome job.

It's fun, but very difficult. Obviously it's quite physically demanding (you work 45 minute shifts, and actors working on the street need to be in character 100% of the time and scaring as many people as they see), but Universal sells a TON of alcohol. There's a lot of drunks that harass or attack the employees, then have to get literally chased down by police and security that are notorious for not paying nearly enough attention to the guests. Universal also tends to bend over backwards to avoid lawsuits, so non-drunks who act like assholes can threaten lawsuits and HR will panic, give them free stuff or refunds, and punish the actors.

Oh, and you only make minimum wage over the course of 4 or 5 of those 45 minute sets. Meanwhile, the face characters who work the park in the daytime make over twice as much as you and only need to work 10 or 20 minute sets. The irony is that many of those actors continue to complain about it being "too hot to work" or whining about it being too hard. Never mind that we're making less than half of your paycheck on longer shifts and don't even get full employee benefits because we're seasonal!
I feel bad for you, but I do admit, I have pity for anyone that has to wear a hot costume in a Florida summer. Wearing shorts alone was too hot. Hell, it could be too hot while swimming with nothing on in our pool. I can only imagine the smell in those costumes.

The good news is that it's done at night in September and October, when it starts to cool down. The problem is that my costume last year was a heavy robe with a latex full head mask and gloves PLUS a long-sleeved black shirt and pants under the costume. My entire body was 100% covered except for eye, mouth, and nose holes.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4336 on: July 08, 2013, 06:06:02 pm »
The shortest horror story in the world:

The last human on earth is sitting alone in a room. There's a knock on the door.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4337 on: July 08, 2013, 06:13:27 pm »
The shortest horror story in the world:

The last human on earth is sitting alone in a room. There's a knock on the door.

There's a shorter one:

Turn around.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #4338 on: July 08, 2013, 09:37:19 pm »
I will say that from my experience at Halloween Horror Nights, people can be terrified of the tiniest thing. As a scareactor, I seriously don't need to do much more than start walking at some people to get them to go "NOPE" and run for the hills. I've literally caused people to sprint, trip, and faceplant simply by standing in their path when they turned around, or following them down the street while still staying about 20 yards behind them the whole time.
That sounds like an awesome job.

It's fun, but very difficult. Obviously it's quite physically demanding (you work 45 minute shifts, and actors working on the street need to be in character 100% of the time and scaring as many people as they see), but Universal sells a TON of alcohol. There's a lot of drunks that harass or attack the employees, then have to get literally chased down by police and security that are notorious for not paying nearly enough attention to the guests. Universal also tends to bend over backwards to avoid lawsuits, so non-drunks who act like assholes can threaten lawsuits and HR will panic, give them free stuff or refunds, and punish the actors.

Oh, and you only make minimum wage over the course of 4 or 5 of those 45 minute sets. Meanwhile, the face characters who work the park in the daytime make over twice as much as you and only need to work 10 or 20 minute sets. The irony is that many of those actors continue to complain about it being "too hot to work" or whining about it being too hard. Never mind that we're making less than half of your paycheck on longer shifts and don't even get full employee benefits because we're seasonal!
I feel bad for you, but I do admit, I have pity for anyone that has to wear a hot costume in a Florida summer. Wearing shorts alone was too hot. Hell, it could be too hot while swimming with nothing on in our pool. I can only imagine the smell in those costumes.

The good news is that it's done at night in September and October, when it starts to cool down. The problem is that my costume last year was a heavy robe with a latex full head mask and gloves PLUS a long-sleeved black shirt and pants under the costume. My entire body was 100% covered except for eye, mouth, and nose holes.
Yeah, I know. I was referring to them having to work in the summer. Besides, it's still not fun in September and October. Just better.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #4339 on: July 08, 2013, 10:02:19 pm »
That moment when the high of making fun of fangirls losing their shit expires, and you realize you're just as lonely as they are...now I'm going to go over to a corner and cry.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #4340 on: July 08, 2013, 10:12:25 pm »
When people think simply tagging 'spoilers' on a post is good enough.

No.

Title+spoilers.

Example:
Teen Wolf spoilers

Goddamn it's not a hard concept.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4341 on: July 08, 2013, 10:25:41 pm »
That moment when the high of making fun of fangirls losing their shit expires, and you realize you're just as lonely as they are...now I'm going to go over to a corner and cry.

Yeah...I know the feeling.

Ironbite-care to share the corner?

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #4342 on: July 08, 2013, 10:31:55 pm »

I'll be more than happy to

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #4343 on: July 08, 2013, 11:08:49 pm »

I'll be more than happy to
It's okay, you two. You two are awesome.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #4344 on: July 09, 2013, 07:50:38 am »
For a minute there, I read that as "Care to shower in the corner?"

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4345 on: July 09, 2013, 07:58:07 am »
....there's a thought

QueenofHearts

« Reply #4346 on: July 09, 2013, 08:17:22 am »

This reminds me of a story.

So, almost 6 years ago some friends and I decided to go to King's Dominion (a local amusement park) for FearFest (same concept). To make the trip all the more enjoyable, we got high as hell. I mean, we were high as giraffe pussy, walking around an amusement park with a punch of shitty actors in shitty costumes trying to scare us even though we knew what was up. I mean, one of the monsters was an old substitute teacher of ours*. It Rocked!

So, after riding a few rides and feeling pretty near concussed, I decided to let some friends ride another ride while I layed on a brick divider (about a foot off the ground and a foot wide), that separated a garden area from the walk way. Well, I'm laying there and a few of the actors came up trying to scare me. I being high and not feeling like putting up with it usually told them to fuck off while I continued laying there. Well, a few minutes go by and I hear some rustling in the garden area. I start saying "fuck off asshole" while rolling my head to my right and before I could even get out the "-hole" I see a skunk 3 feet from my face, lose my train of thought, and yell "Holy shit!!" instead loud enough for some young children to hear me. Luckily, their parents were understanding seeing the circumstances. Double luckily, nobody got sprayed.

So moral of the story, don't do drugs. Because the top three things you don't want to see when you're baked are police, parents, and skunks. Of course this story only deals with the latter, but details matter not with skunks.

*Funny story about that and I'll express it through dialogue.

Me: Watch, I bet someone gonna jump out when we turn the corner

every walks around corner and someone jumps out

Dude: arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

Friend1: Don't I know you?

Me: Holy shit, that's Mr. So-and-so... he's a substitute teacher at our school.

Friend1: Dude, you ain't scary, you're a substitute teacher.

Mr. So & So: ARGGHH Not anymore I'm not.

We all laughed, found his retort witty, and at that point, he earned our respect.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #4347 on: July 09, 2013, 08:26:10 am »

This reminds me of a story.

So, almost 6 years ago some friends and I decided to go to King's Dominion (a local amusement park) for FearFest (same concept). To make the trip all the more enjoyable, we got high as hell. I mean, we were high as giraffe pussy, walking around an amusement park with a punch of shitty actors in shitty costumes trying to scare us even though we knew what was up. I mean, one of the monsters was an old substitute teacher of ours*. It Rocked!

So, after riding a few rides and feeling pretty near concussed, I decided to let some friends ride another ride while I layed on a brick divider (about a foot off the ground and a foot wide), that separated a garden area from the walk way. Well, I'm laying there and a few of the actors came up trying to scare me. I being high and not feeling like putting up with it usually told them to fuck off while I continued laying there. Well, a few minutes go by and I hear some rustling in the garden area. I start saying "fuck off asshole" while rolling my head to my right and before I could even get out the "-hole" I see a skunk 3 feet from my face, lose my train of thought, and yell "Holy shit!!" instead loud enough for some young children to hear me. Luckily, their parents were understanding seeing the circumstances. Double luckily, nobody got sprayed.

So moral of the story, don't do drugs. Because the top three things you don't want to see when you're baked are police, parents, and skunks. Of course this story only deals with the latter, but details matter not with skunks.

*Funny story about that and I'll express it through dialogue.

Me: Watch, I bet someone gonna jump out when we turn the corner

every walks around corner and someone jumps out

Dude: arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

Friend1: Don't I know you?

Me: Holy shit, that's Mr. So-and-so... he's a substitute teacher at our school.

Friend1: Dude, you ain't scary, you're a substitute teacher.

Mr. So & So: ARGGHH Not anymore I'm not.

We all laughed, found his retort witty, and at that point, he earned our respect.
Why not just get the skunk high? /brilliantlyhorribleideas

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #4348 on: July 09, 2013, 08:54:06 am »
....there's a thought

I'm up for it.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #4349 on: July 09, 2013, 09:13:47 am »

I remember one year my friend and I attended HHN.  Some teenage girls were behind us screaming at the littlist things.  As we exited the attraction, we saw one of the workers standing there, a woman wearing a simple cloak, no mask, no makesup, just normal clothes and a cloak.  The girls, rushing past us, shrieked like they saw a demon when they saw the lady and promptly took off back into the attraction.  My friend and I had a good chuckle but the lady just rolled her eyes.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"