Author Topic: Paul Ryan Requested Obamacare Funding!  (Read 14006 times)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Re: Paul Ryan Requested Obamacare Funding!
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2012, 11:14:28 pm »
This is why I prefer party list or whatever they do in Netherlands where everyone gets their party. 

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2012, 11:17:26 pm »
I 100% agree. The European multi-member electorate thing rocks shit.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2012, 11:25:15 pm »
The oddest election system is Japan's which is somehow the only democratic one party system.  Basically it forces people of the main party to compete against each other creating basically permanent era of good feelings.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2012, 05:36:54 am »
No, it isn't. The Republicans have a relatively strict party loyalty system. Your theory that the US voting system- which is basically the same as Australia's or Britain's anyway- determines the weak party structure is therefore wrong.

The GOP is not strict at all by your standards.  Every major piece of Democratic legislation that has passed has had some members of the GOP vote for it at some point.

You can't say the two systems are the same since one side of the Australian parliament is voted for by party and the Prime Minister is not elected at all.  Those are major differences.  Add those to preferential voting and compulsory voting down under and the US primary system and the two look nothing a like. 
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2012, 05:56:20 am »
No, it isn't. The Republicans have a relatively strict party loyalty system. Your theory that the US voting system- which is basically the same as Australia's or Britain's anyway- determines the weak party structure is therefore wrong.

The GOP is not strict at all by your standards.  Every major piece of Democratic legislation that has passed has had some members of the GOP vote for it at some point.

It's certainly sub-optimal, but they're far better organised than the Democrats. And they're winning elections and passing policy they otherwise wouldn't because of it.

You can't say the two systems are the same since one side of the Australian parliament is voted for by party and the Prime Minister is not elected at all.  Those are major differences.  Add those to preferential voting and compulsory voting down under and the US primary system and the two look nothing a like.

Until you can explain how this effects what we're talking about in the slightest, you can stop saying this. As far as I'm concerned it's just a red herring.

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2012, 03:34:41 pm »

It's certainly sub-optimal, but they're far better organised than the Democrats. And they're winning elections and passing policy they otherwise wouldn't because of it.

Until you can explain how this effects what we're talking about in the slightest, you can stop saying this. As far as I'm concerned it's just a red herring.

We could start with this paper Perils of Presidentialism which is summarized by one of the author's critics:
Linz argues that the presidential office introduces an undesirable element of winner-take-all politics into societies that need mechanisms of conciliation instead. A presidential candidate is either elected or not, whereas in parliamentary systems many shades of outcome are possible. Moreover, a directly elected president may think he has a popular "mandate," even if he has been elected with only a small plurality of the vote, perhaps even less than 40 percent. The potential for conflict is accordingly enhanced. Conflict is promoted, in Linz's view, by the separation of powers that divides the legislature from the president. The fixed term of a separately elected president makes for rigidity between elections. By contrast, parliamentary systems are able to resolve crises at any time simply by changing leaders or governments. Separate presidential election also produces weak cabinets and fosters electoral contests in which extremists either have too much influence or the whole society becomes polarized.
Source

(Horowitz feels this is unsubstantiated because of selectivity in picking governments to compare among other criticisms not particularly pertinent to this discussion)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2012, 05:20:36 pm »
Okay, arguably that's a thing (though I think it's wrong). Explain how it isn't a red herring.

-FDR

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2012, 06:58:22 pm »
Okay, arguably that's a thing (though I think it's wrong). Explain how it isn't a red herring.
It throws your 'you don't vote for an individual' mantra right out the window, but it also highlights a larger problem based on the structural differences.

The American system is very rigid and inflexible. By its very nature it is a polarizing force. Following strict party control would only exacerbate the situation and create more extremism. Member dissent is a safety valve that tries to keep these things in check.
Our parliamentary systems allow for a much greater deal of flexibility when it comes to governing and is better able to deal with rigid parties provided there are a lot of them at the table so that a variety of views are represented.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2012, 09:03:16 pm »

Name a major piece of legislation they (the GOP) have passed in the last 4 years.  Than look at what the Democrats have passed. 

In addition to what Canadian Mojo posted the US system also makes it that politician are often more apt to side with the voters in their state or district than the party.  That is why you had Dems like Bill Nelson not wanting to vote for health care reform.  It was unpopular in his state, if for nothign else than wanting to keep his job he was representing the voters in his state. 

The US system normally can't move as fast as a parliament system but in turn it is also less likely to have wild knee jerk changes in legislation.  If the US was a parliament system it is likely the Dems could have gotten true universal health care, it is also just as likely that the GOP would be able to do away with it.  Right now the GOP would have to keep the House, take the Senate with a super majority and most likely also take the White House to kill Obamacare.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2012, 09:53:15 pm »
If you look at it from the perspective of Ralph Nader, sure you can be more of a pain in the arse if you draw off half a dozen Democratic votes from an important state. But you're never going to win anything- you're a spoiler

How is this not demonstrating political influence? If another party wants your votes than they have to make a compromise with you. In IRV a third party does not have control over its own votes as they are taken and tallied into another party's total.

, not a real political force in a FPTP system.
In a preferential system, you can actually win and get in parliament and then dick with shit there.

What is a "real political force" because I am calling you out on a No True Scotsman Fallacy right now.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*