Author Topic: Mysterious priest appears at crash scene  (Read 5149 times)

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
Re: Mysterious priest appears at crash scene
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 10:21:19 pm »
Standard (rural) protocol around here is to block off the road at the nearest intersection so that cars just hang a left or right and jog over to the next concession rather than force everybody to make a u-turn. In the right place an accident could have a close to two mile perimeter set up using four whole cars.  The other thing that is likely to happen is that those police manning the roadblocks are going to be letting the volunteer firefighters and other people qualified to render assistance (like maybe a priest) through without too much fanfare.

Hell, one guy could do it by driving around and dropping some cones and caution tape.

Sounds like it was a slow day and someone decided to play up a priest coming to help at a car accident. I'll give them that if it was a real guy and this really happened, the priest might have genuinely helped save her life. Not with a miracle of course, but by helping the woman remain calm and not go in to shock or such.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 10:45:04 pm »
My response to the article in the OP (spoilered for size):

(click to show/hide)

Of course, this author would probably be like:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 10:46:40 pm by Osama bin Bambi »
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 11:14:58 pm »
Christ, I hate the "god works in mysterious ways" and "everything happens for a reason" nonsense. Stop using tragic events to attempt to validate your own beliefs.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU. I've just about had enough of that shit already. Almost every adult in my family, older than my half-aunt says this and I don't even have the guts to tell them I've had enough of you assholes saying the same shit all the time.

(Sorry. I just wanted to get it off my chest, but I feel like I'm the black sheep of the family because I am extremely skeptical of the existence of a deity, and even if I still believed in a deity or more, I consider the concept of miracles and prophesy so full of shit.)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:16:32 pm by Alehksunos »

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 11:18:52 am »
MYSTERY SOLVED!

JUST CLICK THE SNOPES LINK!

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/priest.asp

This is close to what MadCatTLX & my own speculation was.

It's nice story, even if the gentleman isn't a celestial deva. In my personal belief system, "angels" & "devils" are basically the souls of really noble & really psychopathic people, respectively. Perhaps the notion of "Angel Priest" can actually be spot-on for this still-mortal gent, from a certain point of view, of course.

Now, I don't know what the good Father is like elsewhere but it seems he's a really good guy doing nice, wholesome, priestly things (instead of molesting kids or being a fundie jerk).

That said, nothing miraculous or paranormal, just a beautiful human-interest story of a priest who went beyond the call of duty to provide prayers, inner strength & comfort for a very injured young woman.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 11:27:52 am by SpukiKitty »

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 01:50:20 am »
So you mean he's not actually an angel? Everything I've ever known is a lie. How could I have been so blind?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 03:05:36 am »
Actually, I like the true version of the story. I am not terribly disappointed that this was not a proof of the existence of angels, and a story of a random priest being at the right place at the right time. She was asking for someone to pray for her so this wasn't unsolicited and after barely surviving a car crash I can understand her needing some consolation.

Yay.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 06:38:11 am »
Wow, and here I was doubting that the priest existed in that location at that time at all.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 08:31:37 am »
It was pretty much what I figured it was.  That crap about the perimeter and no one being able to get in was what I had problem with.  There usually is a logical explanation for these types of things.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 09:28:35 am »
Folks tend to exaggerate to make it sound more miraculous.

A two mile perimeter for a random car accident? No way! A manhunt for a dangerous fugitive, yes, but not some random car accident.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, 12:33:22 am »
That was the official Last Rites/Troubleshooter Priest.  There's one assigned to each state.  They work in mysterious ways.

"Troubleshooter Priest."  Sounds like an awesome name for a band...or the nickname of a particularly good debugger.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2013, 12:43:33 am »
That was the official Last Rites/Troubleshooter Priest.  There's one assigned to each state.  They work in mysterious ways.

"Troubleshooter Priest."  Sounds like an awesome name for a band...or the nickname of a particularly good debugger.

He's on a mission from God! ...To remove all bugs from software.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2013, 04:40:03 am »
As I said on Yahoo, "Most of you seem to think that there was no one physically there. Why is it so shocking to go one step further & believe that no one was there at all?"

That said, I'm not disappointed that there was some well-meaning priest out there, & have no reason to find fault with his actions. It's all of the "It must be an angel & anyone who says otherwise is horrible for harshing my buzz!" that I dislike.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2013, 05:57:59 am »
Also that misinformation about the tools suddenly working, that annoys me too.

That being said, I do like it when something seemingly unexplainable happens, just to watch people try to explain it before getting all of the facts.

Sadly, it wasn't amusing this time.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2013, 05:03:17 pm »
He seems like a priest who actually understands what Jesus was saying. So, high five.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.