Author Topic: The Winter Olympics: Sochi 2014  (Read 14142 times)

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
Re: Olympics!
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 08:28:25 pm »
(this thread should be merged into the other Olympics thread)

There should be fencing...with katanas...while the combatants ice skate down a luge run...using their swords as the skate runners. I'd watch that.

I'll argue that the following (from Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal) needs to be an Olympic event:

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
Re: The Winter Olympics: Sochi 2014
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 09:00:40 pm »
I nominate ski-jousting for the 2018 winter games.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 01:39:22 am »
James Brown remains my favorite of the figure skaters. I know his wasn't the most technically complex, but he had so much personality that many other dancers didn't add to their performances. Not to mention he incorporated some of his Irish step dancing background into the footwork and had an awesome song.

I won't take away from him for falling, either. The slow motion video showed a chip in the ice that caused it, and at least one other skater was taken out by it too.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 08:27:55 am »
A chip on the ice?  Wow.

Ironbite-Russia has really screwed up these games.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 10:55:02 am »
There's a Vine of it here. You can see how his left skate (the one he lands on) just suddenly stops and seems to hit something with a puff of ice that causes him to fall. It was a great performance and he really won over the crowd, but that fall didn't help him.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 11:00:19 am »
Yeah, at least the 1936 Olympics weren't incompetently done.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 11:58:45 am »
Vice News (one of my favorite independent journalism sites) has an article covering exactly why a small summer resort town in the Caucasus was chosen as the site of the Olympics.

Basically, it's described as the equivalent of George W. Bush proving that he won the Iraq War by holding the Super Bowl in Kuwait.

Many Russians are still pretty upset about the breakup of the Soviet Union; imagine the US losing all of their territory west of the Rockies. The fall of communism meant that Russia was no longer a superpower, and even the ones who don't want to return to the communist government want their power back. The effective tie during the first Chechen war of independence was an embarrassment: the great Red Army beaten bloody by a pack of rebels with homemade submachine guns. Putin is former KGB and practically a James Bond villain, and he wanted revenge. So he started the new Chechen war and turned Grozny into literally the most destroyed city in the world, then rebuilt it.

Holding the Olympic games in Sochi is basically Putin's way of "proving" that he won the war against the rebels. He's mocking them.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 01:15:08 pm »
Yeah, at least the 1936 Olympics weren't incompetently done.

Those Games introduced a fair deal of what we now consider typical trappings, such as the torch relay. Avery Brundage (so take this with a grain of salt) considered them the best Games ever held.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 01:19:10 pm »
It seems likely that the Kim dynasty of PDK got their inspiration for massive crowd synchronized displays from the '36 Olympics, too.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 07:35:15 pm »
You see the story behind the American bobsledder who got locked in his bathroom?

Poor guy's sledding partner thought the mysterious banging noise (read: his teammate trying to get attention for help) was annoying, so he put his earbuds in and just ignored it. So he punched the door to pieces:

His partner said that he turned and just saw the door torn to shreds and Johnny Quinn, wearing nothing but a towel, standing on the other side with a blank look on his face.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 08:51:34 pm »
He and a couple of other guys ended up stuck in an elevator recently, too.

Poor guy can't catch a break.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 09:08:50 pm »
Jesus christ this place is a joke!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 10:26:05 pm »
Jesus christ this place is a joke!

I'm sure you've seen the bevy of Instagram and Twitter pictures from the visitors and athletes. The whole place, Olympic Village included, is barely even first world in quality. I saw a toilet with the seat installed upside-down. How do you even accomplish that?

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 11:58:25 pm »
Interviews with the construction workers, who were shipped in from other regions, indicate that they were getting paid US 10 to 15 dollars a day, were being charged $150 a month per man to live in a trailer, 5 or 6 guys in each. Private construction companies with zero supervision as to how they spent the money (they obviously pocketed most of it). 51 billion dollars. Fucking mobster mentality.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 01:27:14 am »
Assuming the sources provided by a Cracked article on this are correct (they usually are), Putin gave a lot of the jobs for creating the Olympics to his friends. USSR-level corruption still occurs in massive amounts.

Not only did they send in the police to beat the workers for complaining, they apparently invented crimes and deported them as illegal immigrants once the construction was done.

If Putin wanted to use the Olympics as his major sign of glory and power, he's failing miserably. These are some of the absolute most balls-out terrible Olympics ever, both on the athletic side (like the melting snow because it's climbing into the 60s Fahrenheit because they stupidly shoved the games into a summer resort town and trucked in snow just to make a political statement against the Caucasus rebels) and on the guest side. All we need now are serious investigations into corrupt judges and cheating and we'll have the perfect storm.

These might be the most memetic Olympics ever.