Author Topic: F-Bombs for Feminism: Another Terrible Idea from FCKH8  (Read 2862 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
F-Bombs for Feminism: Another Terrible Idea from FCKH8
« on: October 24, 2014, 05:49:45 pm »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2014/10/23/the-many-many-problems-with-fckh8s-potty-mouthed-princess-video/

Most people would agree the gender wage-gap is bad. But is it more or less bad than profit-motivated adults instructing little girls to curse for a viral video?

That is, in a nutshell, the false equivalence at the heart of a new and wildly controversial video by the T-shirt brand FCKH8, which since Tuesday has racked up more than 100,000 views on YouTube alone. The video consists of girls, ages six to 13, dropping frequent F-bombs in a discussion of pay inequality, stereotypical gender roles and sexual violence — a concept far more dangerous to the six-year-old mind, some might argue, than any casual curse words could be. (The swear words in the video below have been bleeped out.)

Presumably, if you do find the girls’ language offensive, you’re not a very good feminist. And if you don’t find the girls’ language offensive, you are — to paraphrase one breathlessly horrified conservative blogger — an Occupy Wall Streeter, an atheist, or a “sexually confused and anti-American angry woman.”

So regardless of your feelings on f-bombs, feminism, and the viral-industrial complex more generally, nobody wins here. Except FCKH8, of course, which is kind of the whole idea.

FCKH8 is, after all, a for-profit company, owned entirely by Synergy Media — a corporate branding studio that specializes in (whaddya know!) marketing. Each T-shirt FCKH8 sells retails for between $15 and $37, five dollars of which the company promises to donate to charity. After FCKH8’s last campaign — in which the company had children from Ferguson, Mo. read statistics on racism to “white people” — that cut went to the Mike Brown Memorial Fund and the NAACP. Critics, of whom there are many, were not impressed.

“Everything, it seems, can distilled, packaged, bought and sold — including racism,” wrote Colorlines’ Aura Bogado, one of many to fault FCKH8 for making money off Ferguson’s tragedy.

This new campaign, with its new feel-good issue, doesn’t stray too far from that script: It’s still about provoking solely for provocation’s sake. There’s the age of the girls in question. The fact that they’re all dressed like “pretty princesses.” The casual deployment of phrases like “pay up, motherf***er,” which just rings gratuitous. (FCKH8 has, for its part, defended the video as a strong statement against sexism.)

Nevermind that the video would have made a far more credible point about rape and gender roles and the wage gap — not to mention, social and moral norms — if adults starred in it instead of little kids.

Good God this is so cringeworthy! I’m all for equality, but this is not how you show your support for equality. You’ll just end up looking like a complete idiot by presenting your arguments this way!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Re: F-Bombs for Feminism: Another Terrible Idea from FCKH8
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 06:38:39 pm »
Good God this is so cringeworthy! I’m all for equality, but this is not how you show your support for equality. You’ll just end up looking like a complete idiot by presenting your arguments this way!
You seem to be under the impression FCKH8 legitimately cares about these kinds of topics and isn't just trying to sell shitty t-shirts.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 06:42:05 pm »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2014/10/23/the-many-many-problems-with-fckh8s-potty-mouthed-princess-video/

Most people would agree the gender wage-gap is bad. But is it more or less bad than profit-motivated adults instructing little girls to curse for a viral video?

That is, in a nutshell, the false equivalence at the heart of a new and wildly controversial video by the T-shirt brand FCKH8, which since Tuesday has racked up more than 100,000 views on YouTube alone. The video consists of girls, ages six to 13, dropping frequent F-bombs in a discussion of pay inequality, stereotypical gender roles and sexual violence — a concept far more dangerous to the six-year-old mind, some might argue, than any casual curse words could be. (The swear words in the video below have been bleeped out.)

Presumably, if you do find the girls’ language offensive, you’re not a very good feminist. And if you don’t find the girls’ language offensive, you are — to paraphrase one breathlessly horrified conservative blogger — an Occupy Wall Streeter, an atheist, or a “sexually confused and anti-American angry woman.”

So regardless of your feelings on f-bombs, feminism, and the viral-industrial complex more generally, nobody wins here. Except FCKH8, of course, which is kind of the whole idea.

FCKH8 is, after all, a for-profit company, owned entirely by Synergy Media — a corporate branding studio that specializes in (whaddya know!) marketing. Each T-shirt FCKH8 sells retails for between $15 and $37, five dollars of which the company promises to donate to charity. After FCKH8’s last campaign — in which the company had children from Ferguson, Mo. read statistics on racism to “white people” — that cut went to the Mike Brown Memorial Fund and the NAACP. Critics, of whom there are many, were not impressed.

“Everything, it seems, can distilled, packaged, bought and sold — including racism,” wrote Colorlines’ Aura Bogado, one of many to fault FCKH8 for making money off Ferguson’s tragedy.

This new campaign, with its new feel-good issue, doesn’t stray too far from that script: It’s still about provoking solely for provocation’s sake. There’s the age of the girls in question. The fact that they’re all dressed like “pretty princesses.” The casual deployment of phrases like “pay up, motherf***er,” which just rings gratuitous. (FCKH8 has, for its part, defended the video as a strong statement against sexism.)

Nevermind that the video would have made a far more credible point about rape and gender roles and the wage gap — not to mention, social and moral norms — if adults starred in it instead of little kids.

FCKH8 are nimrods out to make money, that's all. They have no credibility in the activism world.....
http://stopfckh8.tumblr.com/
FCKH8 are a bunch of insensitive, transphobic, money grubbing losers using LGBT Rights, Feminism & Anti-Ethnicism to hawk T-Shirts. None of it goes to charity. Many who bought stuff from them have yet to receive their merchandise.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 08:02:26 pm »
I liked it!
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 08:26:58 pm »
Fuck FCKH8, yeah, they're d-bags - but whoever wrote and produced the video did a pretty good job. Effective and funny without watering down the message.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 09:48:23 pm »
You seem to be under the impression FCKH8 legitimately cares about these kinds of topics and isn't just trying to sell shitty t-shirts.

Gotta make the cash, gotta make the dough.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 10:18:29 pm »
And if you don’t find the girls’ language offensive, you are — to paraphrase one breathlessly horrified conservative blogger — an Occupy Wall Streeter, an atheist, or a “sexually confused and anti-American angry woman.”

I am definitely one of those things!

And I don't find the language offensive, but the use of children bothers me. "Hey, look, a child (to whom I told exactly what to say) understands this and you don't! You're dumber than a kid! Haha!" It's cheap and stupid.
Σא

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 01:26:27 am »
And if you don’t find the girls’ language offensive, you are — to paraphrase one breathlessly horrified conservative blogger — an Occupy Wall Streeter, an atheist, or a “sexually confused and anti-American angry woman.”

I am definitely one of those things!

And I don't find the language offensive, but the use of children bothers me. "Hey, look, a child (to whom I told exactly what to say) understands this and you don't! You're dumber than a kid! Haha!" It's cheap and stupid.
I highly doubt that that's what they were trying to say, they're just trying to drum up outrage from people  who are think FCKH8 is in any way cares about equality so those people will get upset thus making FCKH8s bullshit products more "HIP N EDGY!!!"
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 12:19:46 pm by I am lizard »

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 04:50:22 am »
So...this is kind of like Snorg Tees but with politics.

'Kay.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 10:00:43 am »
Well, I used to think FCKH8 was stupid.  Now that I know their true face, I hate them.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 03:52:58 pm »
Well, I used to think FCKH8 was stupid.  Now that I know their true face, I hate them.
Thankfully more and more people are becoming aware of their asshattery.