Author Topic: Far-right *narrowly* loses Austrian election  (Read 7991 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Far-right *narrowly* loses Austrian election
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2016, 01:06:34 am »
Are you referring to the Green president or the Right-wingers?

Because it is starting to look like you support "close the borders and deport the refugees" type of fear-mongering unless I am just not getting your sarcasm.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2016, 01:09:46 am »
Hes determined to fist fuck Austria with rapist migrants and wedge their national identity in the EU. Pieces of shit like him will be punted out of the country when the people get sick of their country being dismantled and start putting heads of state that actually give a damn about the nation.

Did you join reclaim Austria Hof?

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 04:05:48 am »
What percentage of migrants are rapists?  What percentage of native born Europeans are rapists?  Cite your sources.

Generally speaking people who callously leave other to die out of bigotry and paranoia are seen as the pieces of shit by history.

The only thing I disagree with the book, and Cas Mudde on, is that far-right populism here in Canada has died. It is weak, yes, but what happened is the far-right populist party merged with the Conservative Party, and they adopted neoliberal views. Stephen Harper started out in the far-right populist Reform Party and his government very much had those traits to it. But, he sold out to the corporations and dropped many aspects of his populism. So Canada is a unique situation, though it wasn't a leftist alternative that killed it, it was more neoliberal capitalism that killed it (even though it was neoliberal capitalism that caused their misery). Dunno, maybe Trudeau's embrace of Keynesian deficit spending is a good idea considering the far-right is getting worse in other countries where trickle-down economics and austerity are still the norms.

I'd also argue that the Bloc Quebecois has been borrowing from the populist right too lately.  They don't fully count, being left wing in a lot of other respects, but they've been taking up the whole "Scary foreigners are coming to get you!" angle.  It was the Bloc that started that bullshit about banning "ostentatious" religious symbols like Hijabs while allowing "non-ostentatious" ones like crucifix necklaces.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2016, 04:28:01 am »
Hof's just a blackshirt. What he described will never come to be, because "the people" remember the 20th century's horrors of fascism and the world will NEVER allow such a mistake to be repeated.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 04:29:38 am »

Because it is starting to look like you support "close the borders and deport the refugees" type of fear-mongering unless I am just not getting your sarcasm.
Tortoise has made similar pronouncements against Muslim refugees in the past, he's also declared his disinclination to argue his case.

Won't get much more than the odd "toss the muzzy rapey rapefugees into the sea" I'm afraid.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 08:01:08 am »
Pray we never get a Muslim member.  All hell will break loose.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Souriquois

• Apprentice
  • Laurentian Elite
    • Playing the Race Card
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2016, 09:16:32 am »
What percentage of migrants are rapists?  What percentage of native born Europeans are rapists?  Cite your sources.

Generally speaking people who callously leave other to die out of bigotry and paranoia are seen as the pieces of shit by history.

The only thing I disagree with the book, and Cas Mudde on, is that far-right populism here in Canada has died. It is weak, yes, but what happened is the far-right populist party merged with the Conservative Party, and they adopted neoliberal views. Stephen Harper started out in the far-right populist Reform Party and his government very much had those traits to it. But, he sold out to the corporations and dropped many aspects of his populism. So Canada is a unique situation, though it wasn't a leftist alternative that killed it, it was more neoliberal capitalism that killed it (even though it was neoliberal capitalism that caused their misery). Dunno, maybe Trudeau's embrace of Keynesian deficit spending is a good idea considering the far-right is getting worse in other countries where trickle-down economics and austerity are still the norms.

I'd also argue that the Bloc Quebecois has been borrowing from the populist right too lately.  They don't fully count, being left wing in a lot of other respects, but they've been taking up the whole "Scary foreigners are coming to get you!" angle.  It was the Bloc that started that bullshit about banning "ostentatious" religious symbols like Hijabs while allowing "non-ostentatious" ones like crucifix necklaces.

Well, some Far right parties in Europe are often somewhat social democratic like the Bloc. It's called welfare chauvinism. Although Pierre Karl Pelideau is quite a right-winger (he owned the network of right-wing rags The *insert city here* Sun before selling them to PostMedia, and Sun News. They took a more right turn under him. They seemed to have borrowed the Charte de valeurs from France. French-Canadian nationalists used to be sympathetic with Muslims, the switch is strange.

Right-wing populism (and left too) has always had appeal in both Alberta and Quebec. They used to work together: Social Credit was popular in both provinces. Then the Bloc rose to prominence at the same time as the Alberta-based Reform Party. They split then, because of Reform's antagonism towards French-Canadians. Stephen Harper, formerly feom Reform and more a right-wing populist than a Conservative, kind of managed to unite the Quebec and Alberta populists after becoming Conservative Party leader.
Let us overthrow the totems, break the taboos. Or better, let us consider them cancelled. Coldly, let us be intelligent. - Pierre Elliott Trudeau

If you're not uncomfortable, you're not growing - Thomas J. Watson

The best defense against bullshit is vigilance, so if you smell something say something - Jon Stewart

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2016, 09:18:14 am »

I think Radiation is Muslim. If not, then it was a phase she went through back in the day.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Souriquois

• Apprentice
  • Laurentian Elite
    • Playing the Race Card
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2016, 09:23:03 am »

Tortoise has made similar pronouncements against Muslim refugees in the past, he's also declared his disinclination to argue his case.

Won't get much more than the odd "toss the muzzy rapey rapefugees into the sea" I'm afraid.

European? Seems lots of Europeans are like that. Previously reasonable people too. People I knew for years I've had to cut out of my life because of the bile they spew and they cannot be reasoned with. I actually talked to a German about it, and said to her that talking to someone from Europe these days is like talking to an American in the mid to late 2000s.
Let us overthrow the totems, break the taboos. Or better, let us consider them cancelled. Coldly, let us be intelligent. - Pierre Elliott Trudeau

If you're not uncomfortable, you're not growing - Thomas J. Watson

The best defense against bullshit is vigilance, so if you smell something say something - Jon Stewart

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2016, 09:40:06 am »

I think Radiation is Muslim. If not, then it was a phase she went through back in the day.

True, but Rad hasn't been around in forever, unless I missed somethin.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2016, 10:00:36 am »

Being a movement centered around creating their own little fiefdom there is a need to create an 'us and them' paradigm. If Canada won't do anything about 'them' then the Bloc will. It's a good double whammy because not only does it create a sense of community it directs that community towards supporting an independent Quebec. When the winds change it will be a different target, but remember they lost the 1995 referendum because of "money and ethnic votes" according to one of their leaders (Jacques Parizeau) so this is nothing new for them. They're just re-emboldened by the political climate that says it's okay to openly hate.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2016, 02:54:28 pm »

True, but Rad hasn't been around in forever, unless I missed somethin.
She pipes up once in a while. Family challenges and time constraints curtail her. I believe she lurks pretty regularly, still.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

pyro

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2016, 11:11:27 pm »
Hof's just a blackshirt. What he described will never come to be, because "the people" remember the 20th century's horrors of fascism and the world will NEVER allow such a mistake to be repeated.

If only I had your optimism.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2016, 06:19:08 pm »
Keep in mind that the Austria is a parliamentary republic, and the President of Austria is almost as much a figurehead as the monarch is in a constitutional monarchy. Unlike, say, the President of France, he has essentially no influence over the country's foreign relations. As for domestic affairs, his veto power is practically nonexistent, even compared to the President's veto power in, say, Germany* or Ireland**--he can only veto a bill if it wasn't introduced and passed according to the proper procedure. (All bills must originate in the lower house of the legislature. The upper house can either pass it--in which case it goes to the President for his signature--take no action for eight weeks--in which case it goes to the President for his signature--or vote against it--in which case the lower house must merely pass it again with a higher quorum requirement than when they first passed it for it to go to the President for his signature. The President's signature is a certification that the bill originated in and was passed by the lower house, and that all applicable quorum, time, and other procedural requirements were met, rather than any indication of what the President thinks of the bill.) The President's role is that of "dignified elder statesman" rather than someone with any real power.

So the election of a far-right candidate as President, while certainly not a good sign, would not have been the sort of disaster electing, say, David Duke would be as US President.

*Germany's President can only veto a bill if he thinks it's unconstitutional, and that power is almost never exercised.

**Ireland's President cannot normally veto a bill, but can refer it to the courts before signing it; if the courts rule that it is unconstitutional, he must veto it.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2016, 04:05:50 pm »
Sounds like fun.

Europe is slowly voting in the far-right.  Which is a scary racist thing we should all be afraid of.
But the British electorate should definitely vote to stay in a political union with them because the leave campaign are scary racist people we should be afraid of.

That lego brick I stood on when I was 8 is probably an evil far-right scary racist too.  I disagreed with the concept of it, which seems to be all it takes these days ^_^

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."