Author Topic: Quinnspiracy  (Read 59785 times)

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
Re: Quinnspiracy
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2014, 11:51:52 pm »
You know why I take offense to the Quinnspiracy? Because I AM a game journalist. Sure, I'm not paid for it, but I still do work in the field. People are calling it the biggest scandal in game journalism history, which is absurd, not just because there are other, REAL scandals, but because it's not about game journalism. If it was, Nathan Greyson would be the one that it was focused on. He's the one who allegedly agreed to take sex as payment for a positive review, he's the one who's actually IN the field of journalism. But it's not. The Quinnspiracy isn't about journalism, it's about slut shaming a woman for not acting how she's "supposed" to act. Who she sleeps with and why is no one's business but her own. If the allegations are true, then it IS a conflict of interest, but not for her.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 11:57:19 pm by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2014, 11:56:55 pm »
You know why I take offense to the Quinnspiracy? Because I AM a game journalist. Sure, I'm not paid for it, but I still do work in the field. People are calling it the biggest scandal in game journalism history, which is absurd, not just because there are other, REAL scandals, but because it's not about game journalism. If it was, Nathan Greyson would be the one that it was focused on. He's the one who allegedly agreed to take sex as payment for a positive review, he's the one who's actually IN the field of journalism. But it's not. The Quinnspiracy isn't about journalism, it's about slut shaming a woman or not acting how she's "supposed" to act. Who she sleeps with and why is no one's business but her own. If the allegations are true, then it IS a conflict of interest, but not for her.

There are some assholes slut-shaming her, true, but you can't tar all her critics with the same brush.  And it focuses on her because of the influence she holds and what she represents.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2014, 12:21:38 am »
And it focuses on her because of the influence she holds and what she represents.
Also, she actively shifted the goalposts of this issue from simple cronyism to Tumblrina brand feminism. She's not innocent by any stretch of the imagination.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2014, 12:38:25 am »
And it focuses on her because of the influence she holds and what she represents.
Also, she actively shifted the goalposts of this issue from simple cronyism to Tumblrina brand feminism. She's not innocent by any stretch of the imagination.

Still a lot more innocent than most of her detractors.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2014, 12:56:29 am »

Still a lot more innocent than most of her detractors.

Maybe so, but the detractors (I assume you just mean the MRAs here) are largely irrelevant to the actual issue at hand. MRAs and Tumblrinas will take any excuse to fling poo at each other, it's just what they do. Of course it's wrong, and it should be addressed, but that's a whole other topic. Like any group who'd hijack a discussion to suit their agenda, the correct response is to just ignore them. Quinn hiding behind the loons screaming "slut" and "check your privilege" at each other and letting them hijack the entire discussion and shift the goalposts away from the cronyism is a lot less irrelevant. It very strongly implies that she knows she's in the wrong, and yet is too cowardly to actually address it. Not to mention fucking a reviewer for the sake of some positive press in the first place.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2014, 03:06:05 pm »
So, outside of the DMCA takedown, what did Quinn do that is anyone's business but her own?
Who needs a signature?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2014, 03:16:39 pm »
So, outside of the DMCA takedown, what did Quinn do that is anyone's business but her own?
Well, for one, she sabotaged a pro-woman charity.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2014, 03:23:52 pm »

For one, please elaborate. For two, what does that have to do with her alleged role in the alleged journalism controversy?
Who needs a signature?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2014, 03:30:15 pm »

For one, please elaborate. For two, what does that have to do with her alleged role in the alleged journalism controversy?

1.  Watch this video:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d6Q3VpqXyk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d6Q3VpqXyk</a>

2.  That wasn't the question you originally asked.  Don't move the goalposts.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2014, 03:59:06 pm »
1.  Watch this video:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-fine-young-capitalists--2#home Project's still on. However, fair enough. Here's the thing, though: I DON'T FUCKING CARE ABOUT ZOE QUINN. As I'll get to, the only investment I have in this is how it relates to game journalism as that's the alleged heart of the controversy.

I'm not. I'm asking for relevance. The claim is that the "Quinnspiracy" is about corruption and ethics in game journalism, but everything about it has nothing to do with that. It's all about Quinn, who, I might add, is not involved in journalism. I want to know why it's being called a journalism scandal as any real controversy involved has nothing to do with journalism.

The closest thing we have to it being about game journalism is the allegations that Quinn slept with a journalist for positive coverage (as far as anyone can tell, he wrote a grand total of one article that mentioned Quinn and it was only in passing). The thing is, if the allegations were true, it IS a conflict of interest... for Nathan Greyson. Who Quinn sleeps with and why is completely and totally none of anyone's business but her own. Like I said, if the "Quinnspiracy" was actually about journalism and not about who a woman slept with, it would be focused on Nathan Greyson.

No, this does not excuse anything Quinn HAS done, but like I said, I don't fucking care about her. My point is that this controversy is absurd, at least in the area where the alleged heart of it is.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2014, 04:16:25 pm »
1.  Watch this video:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-fine-young-capitalists--2#home Project's still on. However, fair enough. Here's the thing, though: I DON'T FUCKING CARE ABOUT ZOE QUINN. As I'll get to, the only investment I have in this is how it relates to game journalism as that's the alleged heart of the controversy.

I'm not. I'm asking for relevance. The claim is that the "Quinnspiracy" is about corruption and ethics in game journalism, but everything about it has nothing to do with that. It's all about Quinn, who, I might add, is not involved in journalism. I want to know why it's being called a journalism scandal as any real controversy involved has nothing to do with journalism.

The closest thing we have to it being about game journalism is the allegations that Quinn slept with a journalist for positive coverage (as far as anyone can tell, he wrote a grand total of one article that mentioned Quinn and it was only in passing). The thing is, if the allegations were true, it IS a conflict of interest... for Nathan Greyson. Who Quinn sleeps with and why is completely and totally none of anyone's business but her own. Like I said, if the "Quinnspiracy" was actually about journalism and not about who a woman slept with, it would be focused on Nathan Greyson.

No, this does not excuse anything Quinn HAS done, but like I said, I don't fucking care about her. My point is that this controversy is absurd, at least in the area where the alleged heart of it is.
How is it any different from condemning gaming companies for bribing reviewers?

Besides, this stopped being about Zoe Quinn some time ago.  Now the focus is on gaming journalism.  Its hashtag on Twitter is #GamerGate, not #Quinnspiracy.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2014, 04:36:50 pm »
1.  Watch this video:

How is it any different from condemning gaming companies for bribing reviewers?

Because 1, sex isn't a currency. 2, the allegations that publishers bribe reviewers are mostly exaggerated and rarely actually based on factual evidence. Usually it's "I don't agree with this positive review, the publisher must have bribed them." 3. It's not. Again, the conflict of interest is on the journalists, no one else. In regards to alleged bribes, the responsibility is on the journalist to refuse the bribe and in regards to sex for coverage, the responsibility is, again, on the journalist.

Ethics are one of the first things they teach you in journalism classes. There's a reason for this. Game journalism does have issues with ethics, that's not needed to be debated. But that doesn't change the fact that it is the responsibility of the journalists to have ethics, not the responsibility of the people around them to make them breach those ethics.

Besides, this stopped being about Zoe Quinn some time ago.  Now the focus is on gaming journalism.  Its hashtag on Twitter is #GamerGate, not #Quinnspiracy.

Except that it was NEVER about journalism in the first place. If you're referring to outlets refusing to talk about it, THAT'S WHY. It's muckraking bullshit, not actually journalism.

Not to mention that no, the tag about it isn't #GamerGate. #Quinnspiracy is still the most popular tag and #GamersGate and #GameGate are both about the same thing. It never stopped being about Zoe Quinn and shouldn't have been about her in the first damn place because, in regards to journalism, there is no real controversy.

EDIT: Here's the irony, the "Quinnspiracy" could have actually sparked actual conversation about game journalism, but because it was so focused on someone who has zero relevance to game journalism, that conversation will never happen in regards to this controversy. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if this was about journalism, it would have been focused on Nathan Greyson.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 05:04:59 pm by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2014, 06:20:42 pm »
Ya know, you say that sex isn't currency, but I've seen folks treat it an awful lot like money.  Fuck the professor, get good grades.  Fuck your boss, keep from getting fired.  Fuck a politician, get their vote or even get famous enough to get a book deal so you can seal your financial success for the rest of your life.  If you claim "sex is just a means to an end," then...so is money.  Money is a means to get food, shelter, water, and pretty much everything but the air you breathe.  There are more forms of currency than just money.

Also, gaming journalism has been corrupt since long before it became a big thing in the internet.  Hell, journalism in general has been fucked for generations.  It'd be nice if all journalists were honest, hard-working people who wouldn't take a bribe, but alas, we live in the real world.  However, calling this bullshit out when it happens is perfectly acceptable, if you ask me.  Shine a light on the mold, maybe you'll do some damage to it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 06:23:27 pm by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2014, 06:30:34 pm »
Ya know, you say that sex isn't currency, but I've seen folks treat it an awful lot like money.  Fuck the professor, get good grades.  Fuck your boss, keep from getting fired.  Fuck a politician, get their vote or even get famous enough to get a book deal so you can seal your financial success for the rest of your life.  If you claim "sex is just a means to an end," then...so is money.  Money is a means to get food, shelter, water, and pretty much everything but the air you breathe.  There are more forms of currency than just money.

Also, gaming journalism has been corrupt since long before it became a big thing in the internet.  Hell, journalism in general has been fucked for generations.  It'd be nice if all journalists were honest, hard-working people who wouldn't take a bribe, but alas, we live in the real world.  However, calling this bullshit out when it happens is perfectly acceptable, if you ask me.  Shine a light on the mold, maybe you'll do some damage to it.

Even by journalism standards gaming journalism is corrupt. Most newspapers don't have all their advertising being for the stuff they're supposed to be reviewing/reporting on. Not to mention lack of editors/oversight etc.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2014, 09:46:14 pm »

Even by journalism standards gaming journalism is corrupt. Most newspapers don't have all their advertising being for the stuff they're supposed to be reviewing/reporting on. Not to mention lack of editors/oversight etc.

I just now thought about a newspaper having an ad for Enron on the same page that covered the company's major scandal.  ...That's both scary and hilarious.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.