Author Topic: Quinnspiracy  (Read 59801 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Quinnspiracy
« Reply #225 on: September 17, 2014, 10:58:01 pm »
So you admit that the misogynists in Gamergate are only a minority?

Elaborated.

Okay, maybe that was.  However, it's the obvious logical conclusion.

The fact that the anti-Gamergate faction keeps relying on logical fallacies and censorship demonstrates that they haven't got a leg to stand on and they know it.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #226 on: September 17, 2014, 11:02:26 pm »
......REALLY?

Ironbite-wow.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #227 on: September 17, 2014, 11:05:08 pm »
By the way, WikiLeaks has exposed unethical behavior among Reddit's mods:

(click to show/hide)

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #228 on: September 17, 2014, 11:37:19 pm »

This thread's looks like it's about to get real fun.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #229 on: September 17, 2014, 11:39:37 pm »

This thread's looks like it's about to get real fun.
The fun has already begun!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 12:08:34 am by I am lizard »

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #230 on: September 18, 2014, 01:18:24 am »
REALLY!?  JUST FUCKING REALLY!?  YOU'RE GOING TO FIND PLENTY OF REASONS TO IGNORE DEATH AND RAPE THREATS BECAUSE OF WHO'S SAYING THEY'RE GETTING THE THREATS!?

Ironbite-*explodes*
Bah, those cunts probably enjoyed it.

Offline WatermelonRat

• Apprentice
« Reply #231 on: September 18, 2014, 08:36:41 am »
Given the fact that it is somehow a massive deal compared to other events of taint and corruption within game journalism, I rather disagree.

I mean. Where is #MachinimaGate for example? The essence of that particular scandal was no different, yet it didn't generate anything like the spectacle that #Gamergate and this Quinnspiracy rubbish has generated.
What propelled this drama to such heights wasn't so much the merits of the original scandal itself, but the mass suppression of discussion of it, the vitriol being spewed by gaming journalists, and the release of fourteen articles in the span of two days declaring the "death of gamers".

Offline Danarth

• Apprentice
« Reply #232 on: September 18, 2014, 08:39:38 am »
No doubt they are numerical a minority, the problem is that, as with anything on the internet, their voices can be projected louder because it is easier. The other problem being is that a number of gamers don't want to be bothered by this situations, they just want to enjoy their games.

And we all know what is said about what evil needs to truimph

As for Gamersgate itself, in principal it is a good idea. There are so many problems with publishers and reviewers that something should have happened, but it should have happened a great deal earlier. For example, during the Machinima/Microsoft situation or during Sega round of takedowns on people reviewing their older shining force games, or the nonsense revolving the early demonstrations of Aliens : Colonial Marines. These are events that desire this sort of blow out that Gamersgate seems to have come about.

But Zoe Quinn getting a passing reference to her game after sleeping with a reviewer? And this game in particular was free to play (while there was a pay what you think situation going, it doesn't change the fact that it is free) so she could have no reasonable expectation of gaining much in the way of profit.  Why was it that this was the tipping point for the blow out when in comparison it is so relatively minor?

Now, from what I can see of the evidence of censorship and supression of the discussion? Yes, that is just as much of a problem because it serves no purpose other than to infruriate and annoy people who believe they have a valid point to make. I imagine a fair amount of the censorship and supression in regards to Zoe Quinn comes from an overly heavy-handed attempt to stop abusive, aggression and trolling just because certain people feel they should be allowed to be abusive. Should it happen? I'm not entirely sure, I don't agree with the supression of discussion and disagreement, on the other hand, if it is purely abuse than I don't see why people should be given a forum for it, as it is neither productive or helpful

Could the criticism of what Zoe Quinn 'might' have done have been orginally valid? Possibly, and personally, if she did that then she needs to take a serious look at her own ethics, but given the rather sketchy evidence presented as to her actions, a jilted ex- and some rather unclear disagreement with a group of female gamers? I am rather reluctant to say much either way.

The bigger problem is that the focus on Zoe Quinn actually gets away from the larger problem at hand. The messed up state of game reviewing, how so much of it is just PR and advertising for the industry at large, and the lack of ethics in general. If people want to examine the behaviour of an individual, there needs to be a major overhaul of the system first
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:32:51 am by Danarth »

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #233 on: September 18, 2014, 10:34:06 am »
No doubt they are numerical a minority, the problem is that, as with anything on the internet, their voices can be projected louder because it is easier. The other problem being is that a number of gamers don't want to be bothered by this situations, they just want to enjoy their games.

As for Gamersgate itself, in principal it is a good idea. There are so many problems with publishers and reviewers that something should have happened, but it should have happened a great deal earlier. For example, during the Machinima/Microsoft situation or during Sega round of takedowns on people reviewing their older shining force games, or the nonsense revolving the early demonstrations of Aliens : Colonial Marines. These are events that desire this sort of blow out that Gamersgate seems to have come about.

But Zoe Quinn getting a passing reference to her game after sleeping with a reviewer? And this game in particular was free to play (while there was a pay what you think situation going, it doesn't change the fact that it is free) so she could have no reasonable expectation of gaining much in the way of profit.  Why was it that this was the tipping point for the blow out when in comparison it is so relatively minor?

Now, from what I can see of the evidence of censorship and supression of the discussion? Yes, that is just as much of a problem because it serves no purpose other than to infruriate and annoy people who believe they have a valid point to make. I imagine a fair amount of the censorship and supression in regards to Zoe Quinn comes from an overly heavy-handed attempt to stop abusive, aggression and trolling just because certain people feel they should be allowed to be abusive. Should it happen? I'm not entirely sure, I don't agree with the supression of discussion and disagreement, on the other hand, if it is purely abuse than I don't see why people should be given a forum for it, as it is neither productive or helpful

Could the criticism of what Zoe Quinn 'might' have done have been orginally valid? Possibly, and personally, if she did that then she needs to take a serious look at her own ethics, but given the rather sketchy evidence presented as to her actions, a jilted ex- and some rather unclear disagreement with a group of female gamers? I am rather reluctant to say much either way.

The bigger problem is that the focus on Zoe Quinn actually gets away from the larger problem at hand. The messed up state of game reviewing, how so much of it is just PR and advertising for the industry at large, and the lack of ethics in general. If people want to examine the behaviour of an individual, there needs to be a major overhaul of the system first
What abuse? Haven't you heard? Zoe Quinn and Anita actually faked all the death and rape threats they received DURRRRRRRRR?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #234 on: September 18, 2014, 10:36:11 am »
Given the fact that it is somehow a massive deal compared to other events of taint and corruption within game journalism, I rather disagree.

I mean. Where is #MachinimaGate for example? The essence of that particular scandal was no different, yet it didn't generate anything like the spectacle that #Gamergate and this Quinnspiracy rubbish has generated.
What propelled this drama to such heights wasn't so much the merits of the original scandal itself, but the mass suppression of discussion of it, the vitriol being spewed by gaming journalists, and the release of fourteen articles in the span of two days declaring the "death of gamers".
What mass suppression? I mean, besides some dumbasses on obscure blogging sights the thing got pretty big pretty fast.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #235 on: September 18, 2014, 10:58:35 am »

What mass suppression? I mean, besides some dumbasses on obscure blogging sights the thing got pretty big pretty fast.
Haven't you been paying attention?  MiniJust has been banning users who disagree with them, silencing their critics with false DMCA-takedowns, and doing a lot of other censorship.

What abuse? Haven't you heard? Zoe Quinn and Anita actually faked all the death and rape threats they received DURRRRRRRRR?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
There is evidence to suggest that they faked their threats.  I already discussed Anita, and here's an image that raises serious doubts about Zoe's story:

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #236 on: September 18, 2014, 12:37:20 pm »
You know when UP decided to agree with someone who wanted to append a but to the statement "Nobody deserves to be threatened", I nearly lost my shit.  Now I wanna see something.  Hey UP, defend the Gamergate scum who tried this please.

An anonymous e-mailer threatened to blow up a bomb at the Game Developers Choice Awards this past March unless the hosts rescinded an award recognizing feminist critic Anita Sarkeesian, the organizers of the event have confirmed to Kotaku.

"We can confirm that approximately 25 of GDC's organizers received an anonymous email early in the morning of Wednesday, March 19th, 2014 during GDC 2014," the organizers said in a statement.

"The email stated the following: 'A bomb will be detonated at the Game Developer's Choice award ceremony tonight unless Anita Sarkeesian's Ambassador Award is revoked. We estimate the bomb will kill at least a dozen people and injure dozens more. It would be in your best interest to accept our simple request. This is not a joke. You have been warned.'"

The threat merited the attention of the San Francisco Police Department's Explosive Ordinance Disposal Division, which sent officers and bomb-sniffing dogs to the Moscone Center, where GDC is held.

Ironbite-but Anita totally deserved this didn't she?  She did get more money then she asked for and therefore is a scam artist.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #237 on: September 18, 2014, 12:55:48 pm »
You know when UP decided to agree with someone who wanted to append a but to the statement "Nobody deserves to be threatened", I nearly lost my shit.  Now I wanna see something.  Hey UP, defend the Gamergate scum who tried this please.

An anonymous e-mailer threatened to blow up a bomb at the Game Developers Choice Awards this past March unless the hosts rescinded an award recognizing feminist critic Anita Sarkeesian, the organizers of the event have confirmed to Kotaku.

"We can confirm that approximately 25 of GDC's organizers received an anonymous email early in the morning of Wednesday, March 19th, 2014 during GDC 2014," the organizers said in a statement.

"The email stated the following: 'A bomb will be detonated at the Game Developer's Choice award ceremony tonight unless Anita Sarkeesian's Ambassador Award is revoked. We estimate the bomb will kill at least a dozen people and injure dozens more. It would be in your best interest to accept our simple request. This is not a joke. You have been warned.'"

The threat merited the attention of the San Francisco Police Department's Explosive Ordinance Disposal Division, which sent officers and bomb-sniffing dogs to the Moscone Center, where GDC is held.

Ironbite-but Anita totally deserved this didn't she?  She did get more money then she asked for and therefore is a scam artist.

1.  The alleged incident took place in March, months before Gamergate was a thing.

2.  Why are we only hearing about this now?  Something's fishy.

3.  Even if it did happen, it has very little bearing on Gamergate.

4.  I never said they deserved it, I just doubted their stories.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #238 on: September 18, 2014, 01:04:28 pm »
So did he defend it?  Cause I'm not clicking on show me the post anymore with him.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #239 on: September 18, 2014, 03:02:13 pm »
So did he defend it?  Cause I'm not clicking on show me the post anymore with him.
He claims it didn't happened and that it has no bearing on gamergate.