Author Topic: Five Nights at Freddy's  (Read 20832 times)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2014, 01:50:04 am »
GIVE THEM CHAINSAW ARMS AND HAVE THEM SAY THINGS LIKE "BET YOU NEVER SAW THAT ONE COMING!"

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2014, 11:22:15 pm »
I'm not going to be able to take the game seriously thanks to the anthro drawings of the characters.

As usual, furries ruin everything.

That's Tumblr for you. Oh, the wonderful/horrible memories of the Bishoen Anthropomorphism of the characters of Don't Hug Me, I'm Scared.

I swear, whatever becomes popular, they always have to sexualize the shit out of it, even if the cast are like... 10 year olds in one work. Fuck that site.

(I know you're not just talking about Tumblr.)

---

As for the game, I am honestly not interested because Horror games usually are not favorites of mine and my impression on Indie Horror games are even less favorable.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2014, 12:21:26 am »
I'm not going to be able to take the game seriously thanks to the anthro drawings of the characters.

As usual, furries ruin everything.

That's Tumblr for you. Oh, the wonderful/horrible memories of the Bishoen Anthropomorphism of the characters of Don't Hug Me, I'm Scared.

I swear, whatever becomes popular, they always have to sexualize the shit out of it, even if the cast are like... 10 year olds in one work. Fuck that site.

Uhhhhh, i meant that there was a bunch of chibi and kawwaii drawings of the characters, the "furries ruin everything" part was just a joke.
Also, i actually did just mean Tumblr in this case.
As for the game, I am honestly not interested because Horror games usually are not favorites of mine and my impression on Indie Horror games are even less favorable.
I wil fucken rek u m8
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 12:24:22 am by I am lizard »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2014, 12:33:15 pm »
After watching a few videos of this game being played, to say that I'm underwhelmed would be an understatement.  After some thought, I came up with an apt metaphor: this is the Tim and Eric of horror games.  This game has literally one note, and that's "oooh, spooky animatronics and dead kids."  It gets a scare in once or twice, and then you quickly become immune to it; it stops being weird and creepy and starts becoming a boring slough through increasingly difficult levels for a little gamer street cred.  There's so little backstory that I'm not drawn in, I'm not immersed.  I'm stuck, apparently physically welded to a chair for six hours with magic security doors that somehow lift themselves when they run out of power, not to mention the fact that they consume power while sitting there doing absolutely nothing.  I get that it was for game balance, but its crap like that...it destroys my immersion.  I'm more focused on the complete idiocy of the doors and less on giving a shit where the killer animatronics are and where they're going.

Its...boring.  I wouldn't even pirate the damned game, its that boring.  I'd rather watch a Chuckie movie than install this game and play it.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2014, 11:42:43 pm »
After watching a few videos of this game being played, to say that I'm underwhelmed would be an understatement.  After some thought, I came up with an apt metaphor: this is the Tim and Eric of horror games.  This game has literally one note, and that's "oooh, spooky animatronics and dead kids."  It gets a scare in once or twice, and then you quickly become immune to it; it stops being weird and creepy and starts becoming a boring slough through increasingly difficult levels for a little gamer street cred.  There's so little backstory that I'm not drawn in, I'm not immersed.  I'm stuck, apparently physically welded to a chair for six hours with magic security doors that somehow lift themselves when they run out of power, not to mention the fact that they consume power while sitting there doing absolutely nothing.  I get that it was for game balance, but its crap like that...it destroys my immersion.  I'm more focused on the complete idiocy of the doors and less on giving a shit where the killer animatronics are and where they're going.

Its...boring.  I wouldn't even pirate the damned game, its that boring.  I'd rather watch a Chuckie movie than install this game and play it.

The doors opening is actually a pretty common safety precaution, while the power draining with the doors open... Ever notice the fan running on the desk?

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2014, 12:11:52 am »
I think his complaint was that closing the doors causes an increase in power consumption rate even though, once the door is closed, there's no reason it should continue to consume power.

Of course, once you're asking that, you might as well wonder how much they could possibly be saving by limiting power at night and if the costs of night watchmen regularly dying doesn't totally outweigh it.
Σא

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2014, 12:40:09 am »
It only costs them as much as it costs to file a missing persons report.

Also, Ravy did mention the "magically opening doors", so Mechtaur's counterargument is related to that.

That being said, Ravy's rant is very rude to those of us who did find the game legitimately scary even after research.  Which is a lot more than I can say for games like Amnesia or Silent Hill, which I found rather boring even though they were celebrated for their "excellent atmosphere."
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2014, 04:36:43 am »
I think his complaint was that closing the doors causes an increase in power consumption rate even though, once the door is closed, there's no reason it should continue to consume power.

Of course, once you're asking that, you might as well wonder how much they could possibly be saving by limiting power at night and if the costs of night watchmen regularly dying doesn't totally outweigh it.

I assumed the doors consuming more power when closed was some bullshit with electro-magnets holding them shut. Seeing as those types of doors exist (with the aforementioned auto-open mechanism).

I saw Ravy's post as legit, everyone has some things they like and some things they don't with no regard of research. I watched videos about Freddy's before I played and it didn't do anything to hinder me. I also actually adore Silent Hill and Amnesia as well.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2014, 07:41:20 am »
It just confounds me that a game so...simplistic, I guess would be an accurate term, could have gotten so very popular.  While there's something to be said for the simpler forms of horror, my main problem is that its too simple.  Once you figure out the gimmick, it doesn't really work anymore, and its only scare value comes from various kinds of jump scares.  Of course, this could also be because I don't find dead kids as horrifying as most people.  Honestly, they're creepier to me when they're alive...something about so-called "innocence" being distinctly disturbing, I'm sure.

Also, I was rude?  Well, damn.  *snaps*  I guess scathing review is passe now.  Someone better tell TotalBiscuit and Spoony.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2014, 01:33:19 pm »
It only costs them as much as it costs to file a missing persons report.

The first time, maybe, but if people with the same job keep disappearing someone is going to investigate. Bad publicity, lost business, etc. Plus someone will eventually notice the corpses stuffed into costumes... not sure if there's a canon explanation as to why that hasn't happened yet.

But that's not the point I was trying to make. It's a game, its internal logic is tight enough not to break immersion for most people, and the power mechanic works.
Σא

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2014, 02:03:57 pm »
There's a reason the place is getting shut down.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2014, 02:48:56 pm »
It just confounds me that a game so...simplistic, I guess would be an accurate term, could have gotten so very popular.  While there's something to be said for the simpler forms of horror, my main problem is that its too simple.  Once you figure out the gimmick, it doesn't really work anymore, and its only scare value comes from various kinds of jump scares.  Of course, this could also be because I don't find dead kids as horrifying as most people.  Honestly, they're creepier to me when they're alive...something about so-called "innocence" being distinctly disturbing, I'm sure.

Also, I was rude?  Well, damn.  *snaps*  I guess scathing review is passe now.  Someone better tell TotalBiscuit and Spoony.

Considering Spoony's an asshole and the only thing I like about TotalBiscuit are the games he actually plays and not his reviews, yeah.

That being said, that wasn't a "scathing review".  That was more of a "I'm getting hung up on this one little thing and I'm gonna insult everyone who likes this game by comparing it to the shittiest TV show ever."

I'm not saying everyone should like the game or find it scary.  I find some games boring (Amensia, Silent Hill - though that's more pretentious to me) that others find scary.  Different people find different things scary.  But seriously?  Comparing it to Tim and Eric?  That's just rude. :V
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2014, 10:31:53 am »
Perhaps it was a bit much, but seriously.  I can't find anything about the game frightening.  Now Outlast, that was a scary damned game, even just watching it.  I still don't get how its insulting to you, personally.  I didn't say "if you play this game, you're a retard," I said the game is gimmicky, boring, and not at all what it was chalked up to be.  Neither you nor any other fans are or ever have been a part of my post.  If you seriously can't take a little negative hyperbole, then you really need to reexamine your priorities.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2014, 04:08:51 pm »
Perhaps it was a bit much, but seriously.  I can't find anything about the game frightening.  Now Outlast, that was a scary damned game, even just watching it.  I still don't get how its insulting to you, personally.  I didn't say "if you play this game, you're a retard," I said the game is gimmicky, boring, and not at all what it was chalked up to be.  Neither you nor any other fans are or ever have been a part of my post.  If you seriously can't take a little negative hyperbole, then you really need to reexamine your priorities.

Outlast was boring.  I watched someone play it and it was basically just another Amnesia clone in a mental institution.  I was more amused by the guy's reactions.

That being said, the "Tim and Eric" insult was really the only part of your rant I had umbrage with (that and you forgetting what "failsafe" is ;D ).  For one thing, look at Tim and Eric's fans.  Calling a game the "Tim and Eric" of its genre is saying shit as much shit about the fans of the game as it is about the game itself.

It would be like calling... *randomly matches two things together* Amnesia the Sonic the Hedgehog of the horror genre.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2014, 04:42:44 pm »
Do I honestly need to amend that whole post with a gigantic "IN MY OPINION?"  Not trying to be argumentative or contrarian, but I think you took the "Tim and Eric" comment about the game and interpreted it to mean that it also applies to the fans, which it does not.  I'm certain many intelligent, articulate people enjoy Tim and Eric's works, just as I'm sure many intelligent, articulate people enjoy this game.  My critique and comments are solely about the game, unless explicitly stated otherwise.  You are not the game.  I am not critiquing you, my abrasive commentary is not about you, or anyone else who happens to enjoy it.  That's what a good critic does, they talk solely about the work as it pertains to them, their interests, and their own personal opinions.