Author Topic: Pope Quits: Following God too much hard work...  (Read 27670 times)

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
Re: Pope Quits: Following God too much hard work...
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2013, 08:53:13 am »
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2013, 09:10:24 am »
I dunno about Louis Tagle's policies but he's way too young
42% of the world's 1.2bn Catholics come from Latin America, as do a sixth of the electors.
So it's hardly even

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2013, 11:01:02 am »
It still amuses me that the man who is supposed to represent god and lead the catholic church is elected by people.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2013, 01:09:58 pm »
It still amuses me that the man who is supposed to represent god and lead the catholic church is elected by people.

Not as much as the fact that they decided on the books of the Bible by popular vote.  Few of which were unanimous.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2013, 04:08:57 pm »
Some of you seem to think that the Catholic Church is reactionary.  But let's be fair to the Church when it moves swiftly to acknowledge wrong.  It wasn't that many years ago, for example, that JP the Eye-Eye asked forgiveness for the Crusaders' sack of Constantinople.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2013, 04:26:15 pm »
Then there was that time when the pope forgave the great sinners, the altar boys

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2013, 01:50:13 pm »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/16/pope-conclave-change_n_2701306.html?ncid=webmail1

The conclave for election is looking to be starting earlier than normal in an attempt to get a new pope elected by March 17th, to have someone in place in time for Holy Week.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Itachirumon

• The Buzzing Digital Uke
  • Pope
  • The Highly-Caffinated Borderline Insane Uke
« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2013, 07:25:46 pm »
I don't know why it didn't occur to me before to make this joke but...I know why he has to leave now.
He met the Pope Lick monster...

Then there was that time when the pope forgave the great sinners, the altar boys

Bu-but...they seduced ME! They brought me wine and crackers! Clearly they wanted a romantic evening. It's not my fault! Its not my fauulllt, I'm the penis-haver!!! (okay okay I should seriously stop, it's getting a bit morbid even for me)
"Sleep is for the weak
Caffeine is my sacrament
Are those spiders real?"

I do NOT have a dubious relationship to sleep. We had a perfectly ambicable seperation

Ask me about the knife in your back!

When I die, they should process my blood into an energy drink - it'll be called Vampiric, and one dose will cause diabetes... Also, you might see noises.

"No.. can't eat... I'm fucking my catboy"

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2013, 09:54:03 pm »
I fully support any efforts to remove the church's very strict affirmative action policy in favour of white Italians.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2013, 05:19:43 pm »
Lt Fred are you going to bat for the non-tibetan buddhists at getting a shot at Dalai Lama as well.

Offline Julian

• Pope
« Reply #130 on: February 18, 2013, 04:46:25 am »
I assume that largely depends upon whether you're talking about "the Chinese Government passing a law to say that they get to pick the next Dalai Lama, and they must be Chinese" or not. OUTSIDE TIBET: - WORRISOME.

Tenzin Gyatso's changed his position from hoping to not "reincarnate", to advocating that the next Dalai Lama should be chosen from a free country... OUTSIDE TIBET: - ENLIGHTENED(?) POSITION.

Although back on topic, there's no issue with the Bishop of  Rome being Italian. There's a huge issue with the Bishop of Rome being all that other shit on top of it.... (Mind you, if they're going to go nuts with that whole apostolic succession thing, shouldn't there be a round dozen or so "Popes"?)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2013, 10:21:09 am »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/02/26/pope-emeritus.html

So now he's going to be called "Emeritus Pope" and still have a number of the privileges:

The Vatican has answered some of the outstanding questions about Pope Benedict XVI's future once he's retired, saying he will be known as "emeritus pope," keep the title of "His Holiness," and continue to wear a white cassock.

Vatican spokesman the Rev. Federico Lombardi said Tuesday that Benedict himself made the decisions in consultation with others.

While he will no longer wear his trademark red shoes, Benedict, 85, has taken a liking to a pair of hand-crafted brown loafers made for him by artisans in Leon, Mexico and presented to him during his 2012 visit. He will wear them in retirement.

Emperor... Emeritus... there's got to be a joke in there somewhere.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2013, 11:06:39 am »
No red shoes but still allowed to wear a white cassock? BLASPHEMY! BURN DOWN THE VATICAN!
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2013, 11:43:20 am »
He can't wear the red shoes because Dorothy took them when the flying house crushed the last Pope. Or whatever.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #134 on: February 27, 2013, 03:28:50 pm »
Lightning struck St. Peter's Basilica shortly after the Pope announced his resignation. Timing!