Author Topic: New Conlang Thread  (Read 13549 times)

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
New Conlang Thread
« on: January 04, 2012, 10:11:47 pm »
To kick off the new conlang thread, I give you Forest Gump speaking FairyLang:

I've defined "varystu" as "good-hearted dullard."

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Re: New Conlang Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 10:21:57 pm »
It looks like a cross between Swahili and Welsh, which is pretty awesome. Nice work, can't wait to read moar....
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

shykid

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 11:51:13 am »
Looks like a cross between Welsh, Japanese, and Proto-Germanic to me. I love it!

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 05:03:16 pm »
I had a thought today. What conlangs have contractions? I know at least German, English, French, and Greek to have contractions, and am quite sure that almost every does, but conlangs are always spoken/written with flawless grammar. For that matter, dialects.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 07:23:40 pm »
I had a thought today. What conlangs have contractions? I know at least German, English, French, and Greek to have contractions, and am quite sure that almost every does, but conlangs are always spoken/written with flawless grammar. For that matter, dialects.

Dialects and flaws require a lot more time. A lot of conlangs which are not intended as naturalistic languages attempt to remove all flaws. This a common mistake. Flaws and dialects make languages seem more real, especially if it's a part of a world-building project.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 01:12:22 am »
It depends what you want to do with the language. For some applications, like auxiliary languages, irregularities, redundancies, etc. are best avoided. Languages for fiction should usually mimic natural languages though, so a certain amount of imperfection is desirable. My fault as a conlanger is my perfectionism. I have a hard time letting flaws into my languages.

On the subject of contractions, I include instructions in my languages for words that can be dropped in casual conversation. For example, in FairyLang, the verb "ni" (to be) is often redundant and can be dropped, unless you're being formal.

Re: dialects: A lot of conlangers create dialects of their fiction languages, although to what extent those dialects are described, I don't know. My most complete lang, Oltengo has a high and low dialect, but I don't have the rules for the low dialect written down anywhere. I just have a general idea in my head of how it differs from the high.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 10:01:21 am »
I use as dialects the points where I'm unsure or make mistakes myself. For example, Rophebyrean has the vowel Ã…tÃ¥. It's supposed to be /ɔ/, as it is in Norse etc., but when I try to pronounce it, I often end up with /ã/. So now the Archipelago clans pronounce it that way, while the people of the Moon Sickle Country speak /ɔ/.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 10:03:55 am by Yla »
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 05:48:14 pm »
Right now I'm making a writing system for a conlang of mine. It's not quite a syllabry because letters don't represent syllables - just strings of two or three consonants. (Some letters, mostly vowels, stand alone.) But each of those letters can be modified to "delete" one of those consonants, so that you just get one phoneme. Furthermore, there are different forms of each letter depending on whether it's in the front, middle, or end of a word, and the front, middle or end word of a sentence. It is a language used mostly for religious purposes.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 04:09:48 am »
I wish I had time to be able to make a conlanguage, the farthest I have come is making an alphabet and basic written language. As far as grammar I suck at it so I model most of my languages on the English language.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 01:54:07 pm »
Right now I'm making a writing system for a conlang of mine. It's not quite a syllabry because letters don't represent syllables - just strings of two or three consonants. (Some letters, mostly vowels, stand alone.) But each of those letters can be modified to "delete" one of those consonants, so that you just get one phoneme. Furthermore, there are different forms of each letter depending on whether it's in the front, middle, or end of a word, and the front, middle or end word of a sentence. It is a language used mostly for religious purposes.
That's an interesting idea, marking a script for what's NOT there.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 06:38:21 pm »
That's an interesting idea, marking a script for what's NOT there.

Basically it means there's multiple ways to write the same phoneme, so it's easy to tell written words apart even if they sound similar.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 09:43:12 pm by Wykked Wytch »

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 07:18:10 pm »
As of yesterday, FairyLang has exactly 200 words. I'm aiming for 1,000 by the end of the year.

ETA: In my other conlang, Oltengo, which is the language of my cat people the Leorin, I just coined a word for bath that literally means "big lick." It amuses me.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:51:16 pm by JohnE »

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 08:49:45 pm »
As of yesterday, FairyLang has exactly 200 words. I'm aiming for 1,000 by the end of the year.

ETA: In my other conlang, Oltengo, which is the language of my cat people the Leorin, I just coined a word for bath that literally means "big lick." It amuses me.

xD Do they actually give baths (or used to give baths) like that?

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 09:36:40 pm »
They usually wash their fur with a wet washcloth. Similar to licking but more... dignified.

That gives me an idea. The word for washcloth should also derive from tongue! ;D

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 10:09:04 pm »
They usually wash their fur with a wet washcloth. Similar to licking but more... dignified.

That gives me an idea. The word for washcloth should also derive from tongue! ;D

Seeing this post out of context on the "recent posts" page was the weirdest thing ever.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)