Author Topic: Rolling Stone Glorifies The Boston Bomber  (Read 21770 times)

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Rolling Stone Glorifies The Boston Bomber
« on: July 17, 2013, 01:33:47 pm »
This is the culture we've created. Our biggest names are the celebrities and the murderers. We glamorize murderers, making them into sex objects. This isn't new. One only needs to look back at Richard Ramirez, the Night Stalker. However, this is a new level of things. We'll give fifteen minutes to anyone, so long as they're in front of a camera. We'll make anyone into a celebrity, and give them a platform, so long as we're interested. Who they are doesn't matter. What they've done doesn't matter. They make you money, so you promote them. You sell them. I'm going to let someone else rant now. Be warned, David Draiman leaves caps lock on, but he makes a good point.

Quote from: David Draiman (of Disturbed and Device)
‪#‎RollingStone‬

HOW FAR THE MIGHTY HAVE FALLEN,

I USED TO DREAM OF MAKING THE COVER OF ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE, AS IT USED TO BE THE ULTIMATE STATEMENT OF LEGITIMACY FOR AN ASPIRING MUSICIAN AND IT MEANT THAT YOU HAD REALLY MADE IT. OVER THE PAST 5 YEARS, ROLLING STONE HAS BECOME LESS AND LESS ABOUT MUSIC, AND HAS BECOME MORE AND MORE ABOUT BULLSHIT, POP CULTURE NONSENSE. EVEN THOUGH MANY OF US MAY NOT CARE FOR IT, WE WERE ABLE TO LIVE WITH IT...UNTIL THIS.

YOU...DARE...TO...PUT...THE...IMAGE...OF...THE...BOSTON...BOMBER...ON...THE...FUCKING...COVER...OF...YOUR...MAGAZINE!!­!!?­??­?
ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR ULTRA-LIBERAL, SYMPATHETIC TO A FAULT, FUCKING MINDS??­­?
YOU HAVE NOT ONLY SUCCEEDED IN BLATANTLY INSULTING AND DISHONORING THE VICTIMS AND FAMILIES WHOSE LIVES WERE FOREVER EFFECTED BY THIS RABID ANIMAL, BUT YOU HAVE NOW GLORIFIED HIS COWARDLY AND UNFORGIVABLE ACT. WHY? BECAUSE IT WILL SELL MAGAZINES? BECAUSE IT WILL CREATE CONTROVERSY? BECAUSE YOU ACTUALLY DO SYMPATHIZE WITH THIS ABHORRENT, COWARDLY, PIECE OF SHIT? YOU HAVE MADE IT ATTRACTIVE AND VALIDATED THE ACT, TO A WHOLE NEW GENERATION OF WANNA BE TERRORISTS SEEKING MARTYRDOM AND INFAMY. YOU, AND YOUR KIND ARE THE REASON WHY PEOPLE THINK THAT THEY CAN GO OUT "IN A BLAZE OF GLORY" WHILE MURDERING INNOCENTS. HONESTLY, AND I MEAN THIS FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART...GO...FUCK...YOURSELVES.

THE NEXT TERRORIST/MURDERING INCIDENT, BE IT ANOTHER BOMBER, OR A MADMAN WITH AN ASSAULT RIFLE, UNLEASHING FIRE UPON A SCHOOL FULL OF CHILDREN, IS ON YOU.

MAY YOUR CONSCIENCES (IF YOU EVEN HAVE THEM) WEIGH IMMEASURABLE HEAVY ON YOU FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIVES. I CONDEMN THIS ACT, THIS NOTION, AND THIS WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT FUCKING RAG OF A MAGAZINE. MAY THE POWERS THAT BE HAVE MERCY UPON YOUR SOULS, BECAUSE THE NEXT TIME SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPENS, I ASSURE YOU, THE WORLD WONT.

-GO TO HELL

-DAVID

And, he is right. In the end, music, television and film aren't at fault for these crimes, the media are. The media who put the Columbine killers on Newsweek and Time's covers. The media that turned Richard Ramirez into a rock star. The media that focus on guts, gore, tits and asses. The media elevates murder to the same level as celebrity, and we wonder why everyone sees murder as a viable option. One final quote from the 90s.

Quote from: Marilyn Manson
Is adult entertainment killing our children? Or is killing our children entertaining our adults?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 01:35:19 pm by PosthumanHeresy »
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
Re: Rolling Stone Glorifies The Boston Bomber
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 02:56:34 pm »
Huh.

I'm sure I have a response for this tucked away somewhere, but that's about the best I can do right now.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 03:08:34 pm »
I like this comment on the page
It does serve the purpose of showing that every monster does not necessarily look like a monster.
Is everyone objecting to them using that photo, or that they are writing an article about him in the first place?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 03:14:55 pm »
Yes

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 03:17:46 pm »
It does serve the purpose of showing that every monster does not necessarily look like a monster.
Is everyone objecting to them using that photo, or that they are writing an article about him in the first place?
Well, the article about the Rolling Stone article says that the RS one seems like a good idea, and it is logical to try to understand what lead to this, so it's mainly the photo.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 03:22:00 pm »

I think the outrage is because the cover AND the article are in extremely poor taste.

Offline Iconic Komodo Dragon 2

• Bishop
  • Try not to bleed to much.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 06:27:01 pm »

Quote from: David Draiman (of Disturbed and Device)
‪#‎RollingStone‬

HOW FAR THE MIGHTY HAVE FALLEN,

I USED TO DREAM OF MAKING THE COVER OF ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE, AS IT USED TO BE THE ULTIMATE STATEMENT OF LEGITIMACY FOR AN ASPIRING MUSICIAN AND IT MEANT THAT YOU HAD REALLY MADE IT. OVER THE PAST 5 YEARS, ROLLING STONE HAS BECOME LESS AND LESS ABOUT MUSIC, AND HAS BECOME MORE AND MORE ABOUT BULLSHIT, POP CULTURE NONSENSE. EVEN THOUGH MANY OF US MAY NOT CARE FOR IT, WE WERE ABLE TO LIVE WITH IT...UNTIL THIS.

YOU...DARE...TO...PUT...THE...IMAGE...OF...THE...BOSTON...BOMBER...ON...THE...FUCKING...COVER...OF...YOUR...MAGAZINE!!­!!?­??­?
ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR ULTRA-LIBERAL, SYMPATHETIC TO A FAULT, FUCKING MINDS??­­?
YOU HAVE NOT ONLY SUCCEEDED IN BLATANTLY INSULTING AND DISHONORING THE VICTIMS AND FAMILIES WHOSE LIVES WERE FOREVER EFFECTED BY THIS RABID ANIMAL, BUT YOU HAVE NOW GLORIFIED HIS COWARDLY AND UNFORGIVABLE ACT. WHY? BECAUSE IT WILL SELL MAGAZINES? BECAUSE IT WILL CREATE CONTROVERSY? BECAUSE YOU ACTUALLY DO SYMPATHIZE WITH THIS ABHORRENT, COWARDLY, PIECE OF SHIT? YOU HAVE MADE IT ATTRACTIVE AND VALIDATED THE ACT, TO A WHOLE NEW GENERATION OF WANNA BE TERRORISTS SEEKING MARTYRDOM AND INFAMY. YOU, AND YOUR KIND ARE THE REASON WHY PEOPLE THINK THAT THEY CAN GO OUT "IN A BLAZE OF GLORY" WHILE MURDERING INNOCENTS. HONESTLY, AND I MEAN THIS FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART...GO...FUCK...YOURSELVES.

THE NEXT TERRORIST/MURDERING INCIDENT, BE IT ANOTHER BOMBER, OR A MADMAN WITH AN ASSAULT RIFLE, UNLEASHING FIRE UPON A SCHOOL FULL OF CHILDREN, IS ON YOU.

MAY YOUR CONSCIENCES (IF YOU EVEN HAVE THEM) WEIGH IMMEASURABLE HEAVY ON YOU FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIVES. I CONDEMN THIS ACT, THIS NOTION, AND THIS WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT FUCKING RAG OF A MAGAZINE. MAY THE POWERS THAT BE HAVE MERCY UPON YOUR SOULS, BECAUSE THE NEXT TIME SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPENS, I ASSURE YOU, THE WORLD WONT.

-GO TO HELL

-DAVID

Angry

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 10:20:03 pm by Iconic Komodo Dragon 2 »
I support the SCP Foundation.

I'm 91 kilograms, 2.59 meters long; Have 57 strains of bacteria in my mouth, and can eat 80% of my weight in food in a single sitting.
LAAAAYYYYDDDDIIEEES...( ͡° ͜ʖ͡°)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 08:27:19 pm »
I honestly don't see the problem.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 09:06:26 pm »
That's the freaking media for you. I'm glad I stopped watching television so long ago. Or reading magazines.

I for one find it utterly bizarre that children's cartoons offer better entertainment than anything intended for my demographic.

I should not, in a rational world, find that Avatar: The Last Airbender and Justice League are able to portray human nature, politics, and ideological conflict better than Law and Order, newscasters in general, etc.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 12:06:28 am »
That's the freaking media for you. I'm glad I stopped watching television so long ago. Or reading magazines.

I for one find it utterly bizarre that children's cartoons offer better entertainment than anything intended for my demographic.

I should not, in a rational world, find that Avatar: The Last Airbender and Justice League are able to portray human nature, politics, and ideological conflict better than Law and Order, newscasters in general, etc.
So true. About the only television show not for kids that consistently does well at portraying everything is Doctor Who. To be fair, so do Moffat's other works. In fact, British television tends to outdo ours, barring Dexter and Castle (and Castle wins because they didn't do the same thing Bones did). Also, Batman: TAS is just as good as JL.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 12:19:42 am »

Nor do I.  When time put Hitler on it's cover (more than once) was it glorifying him?  No, of course not.  Just as Rolling Stone Magazine is not glorifying Dzhokar Tsarnaev or his actions.  The answer is not to ignore people like Dzhokar but to try and understand them.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 12:35:46 am »

Nor do I.  When time put Hitler on it's cover (more than once) was it glorifying him?  No, of course not.  Just as Rolling Stone Magazine is not glorifying Dzhokar Tsarnaev or his actions.  The answer is not to ignore people like Dzhokar but to try and understand them.
Because they used the rock star-looking glam selfie. The article even shows, it's done the exact same way as other Rolling Stone covers, with actual rock stars.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 01:28:04 am »
I heard about this on the radio.

Apparently The New York Times has already used this photo and there hasn't been any outcry. Furthermore, magazines like Rolling Stone and Time have shown pictures of Stalin, Hitler, and Saddam Hussein on their covers before, and they were frankly much worse than Dzhokar.

Also, I think it is a good reminder that not every monster necessarily has to look like one.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 03:42:25 am »
I heard about this on the radio.

Apparently The New York Times has already used this photo and there hasn't been any outcry. Furthermore, magazines like Rolling Stone and Time have shown pictures of Stalin, Hitler, and Saddam Hussein on their covers before, and they were frankly much worse than Dzhokar.

Also, I think it is a good reminder that not every monster necessarily has to look like one.
The point is, Rolling Stone is not Time. Additionally, Stalin, Hitler and Saddam are nothing like him. This is akin to when Time and Newsweek plastered the Columbine killers everywhere. It sends a message to the world that if you want to be famous, you don't need hard work, or anything like that. No, if you want to be famous, if you want to rise above everyone you think oppresses you and go down in history, kill people. Be more shocking than the last one. Blow minds, literally and figuratively. It tells people that bombers and rock stars are interchangeable. Finally, Rolling Stone is a pop culture magazine, not a hard-hitting, fact filled magazine. When they put an image like that on the cover, it's of a rock star. And now, they've done the same rock star glam shot for a murderer. That just further cements the message. You wanna be somebody? You wanna stop being a nobody? Kill people. That's what it says.