Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1514073 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #5085 on: October 21, 2014, 12:19:20 pm »
As for your game idea: the problem is that a system that it not only makes it so the player does the right thing just to score points, it's also a fairly cheap way say that what you're doing is wrong.

Alternatively players simply won't care, it just becomes a bar that shifts around on the side.

Good point. The other way around would be to have an invisible meter and have the player's actions be reflected into the game. Different types of news stories and pedestrian talk based on what the player has done.

Actually, I would like to avoid a clear cut good/evil and try to make it something more subtle. Some of the police force is corrupt, some of the gangs are not doing anything illegal (or at least nothing major.) No clear announcements of "YOU HAVE GAINED KARMA!" Army of Two 40th day had a good idea where doing the apparently good thing would sometimes backfire or end up not having any effect. Some people hated it but I like the idea, things weren't as simple as they appeared to be.

Black and White and Infamous games had a good idea of making the morality affect the player and their surroundings. (with variable degrees of success...)

Another important point would be that I would want it to be more than just OH SO EDGYNESSS!!! For example, the game should be dark and have the player characters inevitable death looming on the horizon but the whole point of the game should be about making certain that the death will not be meaningless. Wether it would be because they ensure that their family will have money, that they take out some bad guys with them (Punisher styles crusade against evil that may, or may not inspire others), trying to use the money to get an expensive "miracle" cure or simply that they leave such a pile of bodies that they will be remembered in infamy. So basically, that last possibility would allow the player to do what the HATrED is all about, but it would only be one option. And for the love of L. Ron Hubbard at least there would be some motivation (even if it is I AM AFRAID TO DIE AND WILL LASH OUT AT THE WORLD) rather than "I AM SOOO EDGY AND DARK AND NIHILISTIC!"

...But it is not like I could ever make that game. Not even sure if it has potential.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5086 on: October 22, 2014, 08:15:47 am »
The protagonist could be some disgruntled war vet who slowly spirals into self-loathing and misanthropy, ending at last in the madness that is the genocidal crusade. Just like Rambo, this ends very badly.

@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #5087 on: October 22, 2014, 10:31:10 am »
The protagonist could be some disgruntled war vet who slowly spirals into self-loathing and misanthropy, ending at last in the madness that is the genocidal crusade. Just like Rambo, this ends very badly.
Well, it's better than having some emo get whiny that he couldn't get a nose peircing.

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
« Reply #5088 on: October 23, 2014, 05:44:01 pm »
Guess who downloaded Strife and GZDoom?

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #5089 on: October 23, 2014, 06:36:34 pm »
Downloaded the Evil Within.

Seems ok, looks so much like Re4 though.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #5090 on: October 23, 2014, 08:19:13 pm »
Guess who downloaded Strife and GZDoom?

...Who?

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
« Reply #5091 on: October 23, 2014, 08:23:34 pm »

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #5092 on: October 23, 2014, 10:46:12 pm »
Oh, I've wanted to get into Strife. Could not because of two things:

• GZDoom blurring the graphics to where I can't even stand looking at it.
  • Something that will make me look stupid if I told anyone I'm stuck at this location.

(click to show/hide)

Oh yeah, yes, Ross's Game Dungeon brought me into playing this game.

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
« Reply #5093 on: October 23, 2014, 10:52:18 pm »
You can reconfigure the settings, you know...

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #5094 on: October 23, 2014, 11:46:57 pm »
I've got everything all figured out now. Finally found what I was looking for and I've been able to enjoy the first couple minutes.

This is such a cool game despite the few shortcomings and I'm glad I've discovered this a short while ago. The hub area somehow gives me the Donkey Kong 64 vibes because of its mediocre music sounding all jungley, the stoney textures that were common in Rare games and the now dated 3D graphics (just to let to guys know, unless the graphics were atrocious for its time I never complain about dated graphics in video games).

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #5095 on: October 24, 2014, 06:43:39 am »
Haven't played Strife in years, I remember getting stuck at some point and just giving in. might have to give it a go again.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5096 on: October 24, 2014, 06:54:20 am »
I started playing The Movies. Damn fun, especially for a Molyneux game. The only problem is that my framerate goes through the floor before I'm even through the early game.

I sorely need a new laptop.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #5097 on: October 24, 2014, 08:08:53 am »
I started playing The Movies. Damn fun, especially for a Molyneux game. The only problem is that my framerate goes through the floor before I'm even through the early game.

See if you can find the add-on, 'Stunts and Effects.'  It allows you to copy sets (for example a graveyard at night in the rain), move the camera all over the set, pan the camera across the set during a scene, and move scenes all around in a script, plus more sets and scenes.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5098 on: October 24, 2014, 08:37:45 am »

See if you can find the add-on, 'Stunts and Effects.'  It allows you to copy sets (for example a graveyard at night in the rain), move the camera all over the set, pan the camera across the set during a scene, and move scenes all around in a script, plus more sets and scenes.

I did, and I was quite looking forward to all of that content, the stunts in particular. It's just I can't get past the late 30's/early 40's without my frame rate deciding it's had enough, so no dice.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #5099 on: October 24, 2014, 09:11:30 am »
That sucks.  It's an awesome add-on.  I only wish there was a way to shoot a scene frozen with no movements.  I had a couple ideas for creepy movies, but they relied on shooting some scenes like picture slides.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"