Community > Religion and Philosophy

Local Homophobia

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sylvana:
I remember school being pretty ok. Unfortunately there were no openly gay people, and to be honest I was so far in the closest and self denial that I didn't even count. Now that I think about it, here in South Africa, you don't get teenagers who come out as gay because it is just not done, there is this unspoken social stigma around it. There must have been kids that were gay, but in school everyone was good Christian children.
What makes it odd is that there was no real hate speech against gay and lesbian kids. No one openly expressed any hatred or made threats. Yet gay kids either were strongly in denial (a solid possibility) or just knew or felt that they had to remain hidden. In the Afrikaans communities there is a strong dislike for gays, people will voice how they think its an abomination against god and how gays are sick and basically all the usual stereotypes. A couple will even claim that they will punch a gay, but never extreme violence.
The only real case of hate violence of against homosexuals is corrective rape, which is a huge problem but only for lesbians. I don't know of any real action taken against male homosexuals.

Old Viking:
Consider the source.

VirtualStranger:
For the entire time I have been in public school, Not once has a staff member reprimanded a student for making a homophobic comment, even when it was loud enough to be heard by everyone in the immediate vicinity.

...And I live in an east coast blue-state, for Christ's sake.

Captain Jack Harkness:

--- Quote from: MadCatTLX on January 24, 2012, 08:37:42 pm --- By the way I live in rural Oklahoma
--- End quote ---

I am so so sorry.  You truly have my deepest condolences.

Now, on the matter of homophobia.  There were douchy comments in high school, and my mom likes to bitch about gay people very once in a while, but is usually only provoked when she sees them on TV.  Ellen Degeneres is not exactly her favorite person.

MadCatTLX:
I think you can imagine why a straight male does NOT want to discuss being non-homophobic, being a brony, and definitely being an atheist in public around here. That might be why my excess brony-ness spills out here. When really pushed about what religion I am I say I'm a member of The Order of the Invisible Pink Unicorn, which seems to tie all three of those aforementioned things together nicely.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version