Author Topic: Tumblr: Ask Me Anything  (Read 45004 times)

Distind

Re: Tumblr: Ask Me Anything
« Reply #135 on: November 22, 2012, 05:53:03 pm »
Well, if you take the definition at it's wording rather than the implied meaning, any of those people in places of significant power could be considered racist. As the church is often a reasonably powerful force in a community regardless of it's racial makeup.

That said, I'd love to see what someone who actually believes in the definition thinks about it. Personally I don't think it works even then, as it's still an institution forcing through racism based on the racist beliefs of those who make it up. It takes the actions of individuals to create institutional racism, as such no individual racist should be dismissed from concern.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #136 on: November 22, 2012, 08:08:20 pm »
What I find interesting about this whole line of reasoning is that it holds white people to a different moral standard than everyone else--which, if you stop to think about it, is far more racist than what you hear out of even most white supremacists these days.
This has always bugged me as well. It's like you shouldn't expect the same standards of behaviour from non-whites, because the poor dears just don't know any better.

It reminds me of the time some Christian twit held a "Burn a Koran Day" and some Muslim nutters shot and/or blew some people up in response. It seems every liberal-leaning person was blaming the Koran-burner for the actions of the terrorists. It's a rather patronising attitude if you ask me.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #137 on: November 23, 2012, 12:20:35 am »
Semi-philosophical question.

So since we have the whole "black people can't be racist" trope going around, this crossed my mind. My boss refuses to hire African Americans, referring to them as either lazy or drug dealers. However, my boss himself is black. So would it be racism because he's buying into and perpetuating a power structure that holds black people back or is it not racist because he himself is black?

Actually the claim is blacks can't be racist to whites (in a white privileged nation) but they can be racist to blacks.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #138 on: November 23, 2012, 01:53:03 am »
Semi-philosophical question.

So since we have the whole "black people can't be racist" trope going around, this crossed my mind. My boss refuses to hire African Americans, referring to them as either lazy or drug dealers. However, my boss himself is black. So would it be racism because he's buying into and perpetuating a power structure that holds black people back or is it not racist because he himself is black?

Actually the claim is blacks can't be racist to whites (in a white privileged nation) but they can be racist to blacks.

The situation mentioned falls under what is called 'self-loathing/internalized racism'. If you can forgive the horrid use of Godwin, it would be like when a Jewish person would work for the Nazis and 'tell on' their fellow Jews. That's not a hypothetical, by the way. It's documented.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #139 on: November 23, 2012, 02:16:32 am »
What I find interesting about this whole line of reasoning is that it holds white people to a different moral standard than everyone else--which, if you stop to think about it, is far more racist than what you hear out of even most white supremacists these days.
This has always bugged me as well. It's like you shouldn't expect the same standards of behaviour from non-whites, because the poor dears just don't know any better.

It reminds me of the time some Christian twit held a "Burn a Koran Day" and some Muslim nutters shot and/or blew some people up in response. It seems every liberal-leaning person was blaming the Koran-burner for the actions of the terrorists. It's a rather patronising attitude if you ask me.

Well, that same "patronising attitude" is part and parcel of the disingenuous form of liberalism preached by the Tumblrites.  Rather than behaving like normal, rational people and trying to "take each man/woman and s/he comes", they try to put on a show of how totally non-racist/non-homophobic/etc. they are...and they end up getting mocked on forums like this one (and 4chan of course).

It's been my experience that people who have grown up in relatively non-privileged backgrounds (in the economic sense, anyway) generally tend to appreciate authenticity, honesty, and realness.  They can tell when someone is lying or putting up a front to cover their true feelings--in such environments, it is a useful survival skill.  As W.C. Fields once said, you can't cheat an honest man, but never give a sucker an even break.

White people who make a show out of being "like, totally multicultural" will get scoffed at by people who actually do have to interact with people from many different backgrounds--even more so if they act that way around people who aren't white.  Literally no one of any intellect or self-worth takes such people seriously.  It's really easy to read ethnic studies/feminist textbooks and think you "get" people of different backgrounds.  But in the real world, you find out really quickly that what some ivory-tower academic has to say doesn't quite jibe with ground-level reality.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #140 on: November 23, 2012, 11:29:15 am »
Okay the burn the Koran day was special.  IE it was made with the idea of causing violence in an area without law. 

Distind

« Reply #141 on: November 23, 2012, 03:59:47 pm »
I think the burn the koran dick was more that we already expected the violent pricks, just not that people would intentionally provoke them. They're all poor excuses for humanity.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #142 on: November 24, 2012, 03:14:21 pm »
So I've been thinking about this thread and I kind of realized that many of us are confused as to what parts of the social justice beliefs you agree with (general you  that are answering questions). Since the title of the thread is to ask you (again, general, since it evolved into such) anything related to tumblr, we have to assume you agree with all the craziness or have no idea where you stand and what to ask you. The problem is, when this happens, it sounds like we are trying to play these "gotcha" games with you (and I'm sure some people are) because we really don't know the more reasonable stuff you agree with. So, I don't know if this will help, but I'll post the difference I see between reasonable social justice tumblr accounts and the lunatics. Now, I haven't read anyone's blog (except Gyeonghwa's, but it wasn't lunatic) so if I say "X idea is lunatic" and you believe in X, please don't get upset. I think this could be a good way to explain things you find more reasonable to people who find it less reasonable without people ascribing radically stupid theories to you or trying to play gotcha games.

The first sign that someone's is a lunatic to me is whether or not they see trans-species, otherkins, or transethnics (in addition to all the new trans fat & abled, etc.) on par with being transgendered. This goes from championing things like the wolf picture in the F&B thread, about how wearing a wolf hoodie is species appropriation, to answering a blog questionnaire "I identify as human." The latter being because I find it a tacit acceptance of such lunacy. Now, these groups are generally a bunch of middle class hipsters who want to be so different that they try to shoe horn a trans moniker on themselves. I think someone who is legitimately concerned with social justice should tell these nut jobs to shut up or leave whatever they want to call their internet movement. I believe when people start championing these causes, its not done because it's "the right thing to do" but because individuals want to be more openminded than thou. Further, I think the quiet social justice people who let these people pass themselves off as legitimate need to speak up. Until then, I will continue to laugh at a group of people (and their movement) who want the emotional pain and suffering I've endured over the first 20 years of my life or consider their religious beliefs on par with such. I will again re-state, people meditating as a unicorn in their garage do not constitute a marginalized group nor do they have struggles on par with marginalized groups.

Second, headmates. The social justice group as a whole needs to tell these people to get serious help. I'm tempted to offer this advice for the prior group too. Again, quietness in this area only leads to a tacit acceptance. Further, it's easy to choose many of these "headmates." Many people weigh pros and cons on things and have reservations about doing something. This doesn't mean there are two or more entities in your mind, it means you're normal and need to stop finding problems.

The third thing I see is using privilege as a weapon. I've seen over the blogs "check your privilege" or "your privileged opinion doesn't count here." Now, I agree with the concept of privilege, heck I see it in my day to day life. However, I've always felt that patience is a great virtue in trying to win people to agree with or accept you. I.E. don't use it as a weapon. When I try to explain such things to people in real life, I start with my own experiences. I explain how I have to work harder because people see me and think (directly or covertly) that I'm a sexual deviant, a freak, or crazy. I've seen so many people that when they find out I'm trans, they look, roll their eyes, and make a smirk thinking "Oh, you're one of those people." (including the dean of admissions for Washington & Lee Law). I thinking telling FPQXZ or Distind "you're white and straight, you have privilege, shut up" puts them on the defensive and less likely to understand how privilege mainly relates to the hardship or injustices various marginalized groups have to face that they don't.

I also don't take the sapiosexuals or demi-sexuals seriously. It's difficult to when 80 percent of people have such properties that would make them either of the two. Which leads me to...

Special snowflakes. The people who put so much of their life on tumblr that nobody could possible list the same characteristics. The people who identify as a demi-sexual, genderqueer, bobcat kin who worship the planet Omicron Persei 8 and are triggered by the word "water," need to get their head checked. Not to mention the various people who make up their own sexualities, genders, or desired pronouns. Reading many of the tumblr blogs that list all these (and much more longer/bizarre traits), it makes me feel this movement isn't about helping various groups who need it (such as LGBT-folk, the poor, handicapped, or racial/cultural minorities) but about the individuals in the movement themselves.

Finally, radical feminists. That's a given. We all know why.

Now, if you do buy into this, I don't think either of you three (Gyeong, Smurfy, or Wykked) are bad or horrible people. I, also, won't be so crass and say "you're young and malleable and will grow out of it" or something like that. While I may disagree with somethings, I do believe your hearts in the right place when you defend various tumblr things on here, even if I do disagree. Last thing I want is Gyeong to stay exiled from this board, I've always enjoyed him as a poster. Again, I think you have your hearts in the right places, which is far more than I could say for various people on tumblr who use a platform of acceptance-to-an-absurd-degree as a weapon so as to accuse others of bigotry.

Finally, I list these aspects of the tumblr community, again, not to say "its crazy, you must agree with it" but to open myself up so that you can springboard into explaining either 1) your views on such and how, if at all, they relate to the SJ community or 2) how I'm wrong in viewing such things as lunacy. Also, if you could explain the more reasonable things (than this) that the SJ community does discuss, things we would agree with, what would those things be? I've said its hard to take a movement with these lunatics seriously, it's even harder when the rational voices aren't being heard.

TL;DR, I'm on a mid-afternoon rant and IDK. Maybe in a Rousseauian way, by putting myself out there with all my views, other people can explain theirs a bit better.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #143 on: November 24, 2012, 03:49:02 pm »
1. Transethnic, transabled, and transspecies are all appropriative of actual trans* struggles. I obviously don't approve of them, and I can't think of any social justice blog that I personally follow that does.

2. Headmates are a sign of mental illness or desperate attention-seeking to me. Again, not something I commonly encounter (or, heck, have ever encountered) in the SJ blogosphere.

3. I find it a bit rude too TBH, but the intended message is that someone should be aware that they come from a position in society where they don't have to put up with the same struggles that marginalized groups do, so they don't have the same level of authority to speak on those topics when there are real people with real-life experiences who can do that for themselves.

4. I don't take sapiosexuals seriously, but I don't have an opinion on self-proclaimed demisexuals. I think that some of them are legit, some are just speshul snowflakes.

5. I do believe that genderqueer people exist and should be considered part of the LGBT* movement. (I believe that gender, like a lot of other things, exist on a spectrum and should not be considered absolute.) A lot of the speshul snowflakes, however, want nothing to do with the SJ blogosphere beyond the extent to which they can play the victim card on everything, especially when they ignore real struggles in favor of their made-up ones. A lot of them are simply trying to make believe that there are ways in which they are not privileged, as if that mitigates the real privileges they already have. (Hence all the white middle-class teenagers saying that they are "trans-ethnic", "trans-species," and so on.) These people are very easy to spot and I avoid them, but I don't think they're very common either from my experience.

6. Radscums should be killed with fire. I know for a fact that neither I, gyeonghwa, or Smurfette Principle support them in any way.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
« Reply #144 on: November 24, 2012, 04:13:20 pm »
Can I just say that QueenOfHearts is possibly the most reasonable poster on Earth? Well done.
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #145 on: November 24, 2012, 04:43:53 pm »
I dont support radscums either.  Add me on the list

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #146 on: November 24, 2012, 04:54:19 pm »

I don't think anyone supports radscum except other radscum.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #147 on: November 24, 2012, 05:24:36 pm »

I don't think anyone supports radscum except other radscum.

Occasionally the religious right who also hate transsexuals and sex workers
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #148 on: November 26, 2012, 09:24:07 pm »
Something I've been wondering about (putting it in this thread, since I don't know where else to ask it): What's the difference between transphobia and cissexism?
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #149 on: November 26, 2012, 09:25:15 pm »
...I'm not sure myself, actually. I usually just go with transphobia, myself.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!