Author Topic: Campbellsville University about to have first female defensive back for football  (Read 3810 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/12/female-football-player-gets-college-scholarship_n_5484617.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

While looking for colleges, [Shelly Osborne] got in contact with schools in Kentucky, Florida and North Carolina. But then, when the schools found out she was a girl, the conversation quickly dissipated.

"No more emails, no more calls, no more anything," Osborne told Fox 8.

That was until last Wednesday, when Campbellsville University had a recruiting visit with Osborne and she signed her letter of intent.

Since this actually is relevant, her build is 5'6" at 140 pounds.

I'm excited for her, despite my general distaste of American football.  Let's hope she does well.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Now for the MRA backlash.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Another glass ceiling broken.   :)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Incidentally someone in the comments was talking about how it won't be long before she's put in a wheelchair.

...Funnily enough, I think these people tend to forget that women are more resistant to pain than men (to the point where if a man was to actually go through the birth process, he would die from shock due to the pain) so... I don't understand why women WOULDN'T be fit to compete, especially if they actually meet the physical requirements (because I doubt a university would just up and allow her into a physically demanding position without her being able to do it)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
A special reminder that fanpeople of professional sports are typically meatheaded and are typically offended by the presence of women not being sexualized cheerleaders. I expect any backlash to be particularly nasty, and I mean as nasty as Sandra Fluke running for Senator of California (having previously been vilified for using birth control).

We live in a society where men are trained and raised from boyhood to despise women.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
She wouldn't be the first woman to play college football, but she would, as far as I know, be the first to play at a non-kicking position.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
She wouldn't be the first woman to play college football, but she would, as far as I know, be the first to play at a non-kicking position.

Hence my very specific topic title.

Which unfortunately left no room for further information XD

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Another glass ceiling broken.   :)
Well, cracked.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
She'll probably get a ton of shit from the fans, but if she turns out to be great, I bet a lot of the complainers will suddenly say they were always supportive of her :P

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Eh...she's kinda small for a DB but if she can use that to her advantage to basically swerve through lines and HIT someone hard I'm not gonna judge.

Ironbite-gonna be interesting though.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
She's got a better center of gravity being shorter.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
No doubt.  Might have her switch to cornerback once she gets to collage.  DeAngelo Hall who is an amazing cornerback for the Washington, is only 5'10".

Ironbite-but if she wants DB, let her.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
Incidentally someone in the comments was talking about how it won't be long before she's put in a wheelchair.

...Funnily enough, I think these people tend to forget that women are more resistant to pain than men (to the point where if a man was to actually go through the birth process, he would die from shock due to the pain) so... I don't understand why women WOULDN'T be fit to compete, especially if they actually meet the physical requirements (because I doubt a university would just up and allow her into a physically demanding position without her being able to do it)

It's like they forgot how often serious physical injury occurs in male players, yet that's just attributed to "the game".  If she gets hurt, it'll be attributed to "being a woman".  Kind of reminds me how, in movie circles, there's the saying of "If a movie with a male lead fails, it's because it's a bad movie; if a movie with a female lead fails, it's because there's a female lead".

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard

It's like they forgot how often serious physical injury occurs in male players, yet that's just attributed to "the game".  If she gets hurt, it'll be attributed to "being a woman".  Kind of reminds me how, in movie circles, there's the saying of "If a movie with a male lead fails, it's because it's a bad movie; if a movie with a female lead fails, it's because there's a female lead".

Someone even brought that up and they bullshitted it away.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
Seeing as she played high school football in the same position, I guess it is a question of whether she can make the step up to college football. Which is the question that troubles most high school footballers. Anyway good on her.