Author Topic: Interesting articles on brands  (Read 2264 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Interesting articles on brands
« on: September 15, 2013, 05:05:11 pm »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mariansalzman/2013/01/08/when-should-branding-begin/

"As jobs become harder to find, early branding will give your offspring a competitive advantage over non-branded children. So I ask you. What brand is YOUR child? How will you achieve your branding goals? Which brands will be most employable in the future?"

This ties into another theme that has been coming up in recent conversations about branding our children: the importance of naming. An English writer named Andy Williams blogged on Koozai about baby names on the occasion of the death of the legendary American singer Andy Williams (no relation) in September. His lament was that on the day of the musician’s death, his personal website was knocked out of its No. 1 spot in search engine results.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/branding-everything-putting-a-new-spin-on-language-culture-politics-1.1710424

[Brand] has traditionally referred to companies selling goods or services in the marketplace.  Nike has always been a brand, but you weren’t. Until now.

The CEO of Coca-Cola declared on one company video that "for companies today, having a valid social purpose is as important as having a valid business purpose."
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Interesting articles on brands
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 05:52:27 pm »
... *checks the booze cabinet*

... ... I'm gonna need to stock up.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 08:04:43 pm »
I have trouble discerning what exactly this person means by "brand". Name appears to be a big part of it, as the point on choosing your baby's name illustrates, but it doesn't seem to be the entirety of it (otherwise, they wouldn't speak of "non-branded children").

My opinion at this point is "Why the fuck are you even considering deciding major aspects of a child's life at an age when you have no idea what sort of person they'll grow up to be?".

More elaborate opinions are contingent on finding out what the fuck they are talking about in greater detail.
Σא

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 08:39:35 pm »
I got the impression that it meant "Names can have a huge impact on the success of your children's financial future"
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 09:01:05 pm »
I read it as not only being that your name can have a significant impact on your future, but also, for instance, where you buy coffee (Starbucks vs Tim Hortons is noted at one point in the CBC article). Your brand is who you choose to associate yourself with, from where you buy clothes (say Sears vs Lululemon) to what political party (or parties) you follow on Facebook or Twitter, or what social media services you use (if any). All of these things say something about you to others and have an impact on you personally, and so succeeding in the world as it is now requires careful management of all these things.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 02:33:03 pm »
My brand!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 02:43:12 pm »
I got the impression that it meant "Names can have a huge impact on the success of your children's financial future"

That is one of their points, yes. But they extend the concept of 'brand' further than just names.
Σא

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 03:25:59 pm »
This article is really old hat, as to the concept. Branding. Heh. It's just social climbing, renamed. Forbes is aimed at the one per centers, just to put it in context.

Give the kid a conservative first name, plus groom your kid with the social plumage and reputation needed to "succeed", to eventually be noted and mentioned within the highest echelon social and business networks possible, which in the terms of the OP, is ideally all about getting up the corporate ladder or multi millionaire-level success as an entrepreneur.

So, grade school at the nation's top boarding academies or at least the best local private day school you can afford. Same with high school, or better yet, off to England or Switzerland, then on to an Ivy League or top European or British university. In the meanwhile, the kid wears clothes from Abercrombie & Fitch at the worst, or custom tailored and/or high couture designer label clothes. His first car will be a Jag, Porsche, or Bentley roadster, or at least a lowly but acceptable BMW or Cadillac. Rich liberal kids can get this golden street cred with a Tesla, though. Kids need to know how to ball room dance, and play a mean game of golf, tennis or be an able hand aboard a sailing yacht. Polo or lacrosse at school helps as much as football.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 03:43:09 pm »
My brand!

And I instantly knew which meme you were referencing.

I need to get a life.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 04:27:00 pm »
This article is really old hat, as to the concept. Branding. Heh. It's just social climbing, renamed. Forbes is aimed at the one per centers, just to put it in context.

Give the kid a conservative first name, plus groom your kid with the social plumage and reputation needed to "succeed", to eventually be noted and mentioned within the highest echelon social and business networks possible, which in the terms of the OP, is ideally all about getting up the corporate ladder or multi millionaire-level success as an entrepreneur.
Reince, Rand, Mitt, and Newt are clearly winners when it comes to names.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 04:50:35 pm »
My brand!

And I instantly knew which meme you were referencing.

I need to get a life.

So you saw that with your special eyes too eh?

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 04:59:22 pm »
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov