Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1518827 times)

Distind

Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #1830 on: February 25, 2013, 10:53:39 am »
Honestly I'm thinking that breaking from the current real time 3d games and going back to turned based things could let us take another look at the more complicated mechanics that the old games couldn't implement. We've tossed everything into graphics and physics and ignored the bit about games being games. Rather than having half assed real time ai, work it out in a turn based system and see about turn it into something real time.

The new X-Com did a pretty damn good job of that all around, and still had effective graphics for what it was doing. Dwarf fort has it's moments, but it's so effectively strangled by it's UI it's hard to sell people on.(I say this having just fully armed and armored a squad of steel clad dwarves)

I know I'm not saying much new, but with the lack of noticeable graphical improvement may force people to think about the game itself again, which would be kinda nice.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #1831 on: February 25, 2013, 11:12:47 am »
I know I'm not saying much new, but with the lack of noticeable graphical improvement may force people to think about the game itself again, which would be kinda nice.

One could only hope. I'm not very convinced after watching Sony's recent PS4 announcement

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #1832 on: February 25, 2013, 11:33:01 am »
The good news is that as graphics improve, games with that huge level of complexity will gradually look better and better. The AAA titles like Call of Duty and Uncharted will always be at the forefront of graphical and physics technology, possibly to the detriment of gameplay (the public has their preferences, and the best selling games will almost always be the ones that have the most appeal to the gaming community at large), but indie games have much more access to advanced graphical and physics capabilities. The sequel to Slender: The Eight Pages looks utterly brilliant and has graphics that could compete with big budget titles from a few years ago, but it's an indie title with exactly one homegrown game concept to its name beforehand. Haunt: The Real Slender Game is a free title that expands on the original Slender concept of minimalist horror by including a deeper storyline and has graphics that would have gotten rave reviews from major publications in 2010.

And indie games have much greater freedom for creativity, because they're not spending $100 million on development and having to sell 50 million copies to be considered a success by their corporate publisher. They can't use expensive development kits, but they don't have to because technology is ever improving. Dwarf Fortress is brilliant and all, but it's in desperate need of at least an improved UI and controls. I don't find it unbelievable that by the end of this decade, a game with the complexity of Dwarf Fortress will be in the full 3D while remaining free to play and made by a handful of amateurs.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #1833 on: February 25, 2013, 04:40:53 pm »
There's a game on Steam called Towns that seems very similar to Dwarf Fortress, except with, well, with actual graphics and an arguably better controls. Not free, obviously, but it's not expensive either.

Distind

« Reply #1834 on: February 25, 2013, 04:43:45 pm »
There's a game on Steam called Towns that seems very similar to Dwarf Fortress, except with, well, with actual graphics and an arguably better controls. Not free, obviously, but it's not expensive either.
Java fueled crap from what I've heard. Down to a near lack of AI in the initial release, may have gotten better since.

That said, I refuse to install Java on machine due to the security holes, so I'm not exactly impartial.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #1835 on: February 25, 2013, 04:49:47 pm »
Towns from what I gathered was released in a similar state to War Z (not as unfinished)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1836 on: February 25, 2013, 08:07:50 pm »
I really wish I didn't suck so much at stealth.

I lack the patience for stealth but I can snipe just fine. What do.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #1837 on: February 25, 2013, 09:38:59 pm »
Towns from what I gathered was released in a similar state to War Z (not as unfinished)

Oh, you mean the game that blatantly cashed in on the popularity of DayZ to the point where the DayZ developer called them out on it? The one that basically has no idea how to actually make an MMO without screaming and randomly shooting players to make an example of them?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 09:42:03 pm by chitoryu12 »

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #1838 on: February 25, 2013, 10:06:57 pm »
The one with pay to win consumables and a permadeath option.  The one with this steam page http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/20/the-war-z-interview-sergey-titov-backlash/

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #1839 on: February 25, 2013, 10:16:17 pm »
The one with pay to win consumables and a permadeath option.  The one with this steam page http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/20/the-war-z-interview-sergey-titov-backlash/

Yeah, that's what I said.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #1840 on: February 25, 2013, 10:19:25 pm »
That game is illegal I think with the amount of bullshit on the page

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #1841 on: February 25, 2013, 10:51:26 pm »
That game is illegal I think with the amount of bullshit on the page

At least one part is: they got tired of people demanding refunds (and couldn't get away with simply blacklisting them from the store in retaliation), so they edited the Terms of Service so that anyone who accepted (read: anyone who downloaded the game) would be barred from ever receiving a refund. This is actually illegal in a number of countries.

The game was removed from Steam literally 2 days after it was put up. The investors are pretty much as corrupt as possible. They literally care about nothing but getting more and more money in their pockets, no matter the detriment to actual players, and have no qualms about manipulating the playerbase to squeeze more cash out of them and silencing any criticism of their practices.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #1842 on: February 25, 2013, 11:04:23 pm »
And then Valve themselves gave everyone refunds in the developer's stead because they acknowledged that they helped cause it by letting it onto the Steam store in the first place.
Who needs a signature?

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #1843 on: February 25, 2013, 11:33:51 pm »
I meant the steam page being a lie

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1844 on: February 26, 2013, 01:38:40 am »
Kefka, could you please start using puncuation? I sometimes have trouble understanding what you are trying to say.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!