Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1514790 times)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4755 on: July 22, 2014, 05:50:49 pm »
Maybe they could do a spin-off for it, like a proper RPG instead of a sandbox RPG.  But with a custom character.

I say this because this way, they don't have to render every square inch of Akavir, and we could explore the best spots of it.

Unfortunately, this would make it a bit more linear, and people hate linearity for some reason.

Well, actually, I understand the reason, I just think that linearity can be refreshing.  Too many choices in a video game can be tiresome.

I think the the decision to make a linear entry in a franchise that's known for it's open-world sandbox nature and for exploration would probably be as well received as a vomit flavoured lollipop.

Hence "spin-off".

You've seen how people react to just about any announcment in the entertainment industry (especially video games), do you think it being a spin-off would really make much difference to the reaction? 

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4756 on: July 22, 2014, 05:53:53 pm »
Maybe they could do a spin-off for it, like a proper RPG instead of a sandbox RPG.  But with a custom character.

I say this because this way, they don't have to render every square inch of Akavir, and we could explore the best spots of it.

Unfortunately, this would make it a bit more linear, and people hate linearity for some reason.

Well, actually, I understand the reason, I just think that linearity can be refreshing.  Too many choices in a video game can be tiresome.

I think the the decision to make a linear entry in a franchise that's known for it's open-world sandbox nature and for exploration would probably be as well received as a vomit flavoured lollipop.

Hence "spin-off".

You've seen how people react to just about any announcment in the entertainment industry (especially video games), do you think it being a spin-off would really make much difference to the reaction? 

Well no, but then I think people are stupid.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4757 on: July 22, 2014, 05:56:52 pm »

Hence "spin-off".

Well that's only because they are.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4758 on: July 22, 2014, 06:03:26 pm »

Hence "spin-off".

Well that's only because they are.
To be more precise:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-K_Cyxjf8A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-K_Cyxjf8A</a>

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4759 on: July 22, 2014, 06:05:18 pm »
I do like that scene but sadly I've met, and know, a depressingly high number of individually dumb people too.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4760 on: July 22, 2014, 09:15:51 pm »

Hence "spin-off".
And spinoff games with different genres have been well-received before.  Just look at Mario Kart.

Yes because 8 games later, the series is still going strong de.....yeah what I thought.

Ironbite-go to a corner and think about what you've done.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4761 on: July 23, 2014, 08:05:25 am »
Honestly, I think Bethsoft should stick to what they know and do best.  Gimmie a sandbox in Akavir.  I mean, what are options for new provinces in the next Elder Scrolls?  The only one that sounds even remotely interesting is Hammerfell, and that's if you don't count Redguard's centering around Stros M'kai.  The only other ones we've got left are Black Marsh, Elsweyr, and Valenwood...dunno if the Orsimer have their own little state or whatever.  Black Marsh would be dull as fuck because wandering around every day in a mosquito-infested shithole of a swamp isn't exactly my idea of excitement.  Elsweyr might be a little interesting, but if memory serves, its largely a desert area and we've already got massive deserts in Fallout.  Valenwood is full of elves, and the less said about that, the better.

Besides, we've spent five games, not counting spinoffs and expansions, in Tamriel.  If you didn't bother reading the books in the game, you'd be forgiven for thinking that it was the only landmass on the entire planet.  Hell, if you wanted to, you could throw a bone to the hardcore Morrowind fans and make it so your character is actually the Nerevarine, since the Nerevarine is confirmed to have made a journey of unknown success to Akavir prior to the events of Oblivion.  It'd be a perfect chance for a direct callback to a previous installment and give us a chance to see an entirely new land.  They wouldn't even have to stat any new races for player characters, so that'd make it that much easier.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:07:25 am by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #4762 on: July 23, 2014, 11:50:57 am »

Hence "spin-off".
And spinoff games with different genres have been well-received before.  Just look at Mario Kart.

Yes because 8 games later, the series is still going strong de.....yeah what I thought.

Ironbite-go to a corner and think about what you've done.

Errrr, Mario Kart is still going strong. Hell MK8 is SELLING Wii Us. And the online is always busy.

So yea, id say its still going strong.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #4763 on: July 23, 2014, 11:55:11 am »
I misread that terribly somehow

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4764 on: July 23, 2014, 01:22:48 pm »
I misread that terribly somehow

That's why knee-jerk reactions suck.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #4765 on: July 23, 2014, 02:00:09 pm »
Wasn't even a knee-jerk.  My brain somehow was able to insert words in there that weren't there.  I have no clue what that was all about.

Ironbite-just....wow.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #4766 on: July 23, 2014, 03:46:05 pm »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4767 on: July 23, 2014, 09:50:37 pm »
Until the end of the month you can pick up The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection from Origin for free with a code

Just tried it a few moments ago and it does indeed work.
Since it's free, I'd say there's nothing morally wrong with getting from, say, Pirate Bay instead. For those of us who'd rather rip our dicks off than install Origin.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4768 on: July 23, 2014, 10:10:43 pm »
Until the end of the month you can pick up The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection from Origin for free with a code

Just tried it a few moments ago and it does indeed work.
Since it's free, I'd say there's nothing morally wrong with getting from, say, Pirate Bay instead. For those of us who'd rather rip our dicks off than install Origin.

You rebel
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4769 on: July 24, 2014, 04:25:20 am »
You know what's a lot of fun? Losing several hours worth of progress because you forgot the game you're playing doesn't have autosave. Real fucking joy, that.