Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1514989 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #5670 on: April 10, 2015, 07:37:56 pm »
You know, if they make another Metroid game, I hope Anthony Higgs appears again.  He was one of the few good things about Other M.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #5671 on: April 10, 2015, 10:41:53 pm »
Logging in just long enough to say I am loving Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2 SotFS.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #5672 on: April 11, 2015, 12:48:58 am »
According to a study done by the University of Oxford, video games do not cause sexism:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25844719/?ncbi_mmode=std

http://ge.tt/1BUeT0E2/v/0?c
Just because they don't cause sexism doesn't mean their sexism should be ignored.

If I make a video game called "Niggerkiller" where all you do is kill black people and Jews the game would still be incredibly offensive.

Not to mention, the fact games are actually representative of social biases is worth analysis in itself.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #5673 on: April 12, 2015, 02:09:53 pm »
So, uh... I dunno if there's any Diablo players around, but I'm loving the new season. Trying out a Wizard this time, and I gotta say, the bottomless health potion change is well appreciated, to be sure! Also, I got lucky and got a Crown of the Primus as my helmet, so I've been rocking an electric setup with Slow Time, since it gets every rune after all. Only sad part is I got that Crown of the Primus at level 61, so I'll need to get another one for level 70...
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Commissar Kaz

• Tzeentchian Cultist
  • Bishop
  • Just as planned!
« Reply #5674 on: April 12, 2015, 02:34:14 pm »
I went ahead and preordered GTA V on Steam so I can start preloading it, and JESUS CHRIST IS IT A HUGE GAME. 65 gigs. I'm gonna have to be downloading it pretty much nonstop all day and night, and even then it's iffy if I'll be able to get it downloaded before it's released.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #5675 on: April 12, 2015, 03:03:29 pm »
You know, if they make another Metroid game, I hope Anthony Higgs appears again.  He was one of the few good things about Other M.

What, the "REMEMBUH ME" guy?

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #5676 on: April 12, 2015, 09:37:05 pm »
I went ahead and preordered GTA V on Steam so I can start preloading it, and JESUS CHRIST IS IT A HUGE GAME. 65 gigs. I'm gonna have to be downloading it pretty much nonstop all day and night, and even then it's iffy if I'll be able to get it downloaded before it's released.

That'd take me at least a week to download, maybe two.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5677 on: April 12, 2015, 10:16:59 pm »
Yeah, if and when I ever get that game on PC, I'm going with a physical copy. I don't care how much cheaper it gets in a Steam sale a few years down the line, 65 gigs is just too ridiculous.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #5678 on: April 12, 2015, 11:15:52 pm »
The fact they chose to make the Vox Populi be just as bad as Comstock was a stupid. I mean, Comstock is manifestation of colonialism, racism, and militarism in American society, but what are the Vox Populi a manifestation of?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5679 on: April 13, 2015, 02:05:27 am »
The Bioshock series has been about different types of societies that strive for utopia but become dystopian instead.

Ryan tried to create an Objectivist utopia but it failed horribly. Without regulation the few successful members preyed on all others and in an attempt to stop it (or at least, attempt to regain control of his city) he turned to strict regulations and opressive regime.

Lamb tried to create an Collectivist utopia but it failed horribly. She controlled people and tried to change them in order to make her ideal society work and when that failed she tried to create a single "Utopian" in a mad belief that this "Messiah" would be able to change the world.

Comstock tried to create and Utopia made from Nationalism and faith. His failure was different from the previous ones, you see MOST of his people were quite happy with their life and the problem were the downtrodden workers and those who questioned the society's laws. If you were white and middle class or better you would do fine AS LONG AS you agreed with the strict laws (religious and Earthly.) On the other hand if you were black or one of the wage-slaves who were holding up the city and making that utopia possible then you were in for a hard life of being opressed and preyed upon.

Finally we get to Vox Populi. Their main agenda was to end the opression in Columbia. Other than that their original agneda and politics don't get much mention but in either case it could even be that politically they were diverse but all we see are their fight against Comstock and the change that comes when they have won... The opressed immediately become the oppressors. The justice and equality were immediately forgotten when THEY became the ones in power.

The thing is that, even though you could claim that Bioshock series shows ideologies that are horrible the thing is that it might simply be that they are showing HOW ideologies might go horribly wrong (or horribly right) and the point may not be that these particular ideologies could never work.

The Vox started with a good idea, but due to being caught up with their hatred and revenge they became as bad (or worse) than the regime they replaced. Which, when you think about it, is something that has happened in real life as well.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #5680 on: April 13, 2015, 03:08:22 am »
Which is how I interpreted it, but the game doesn't make things as clear as, say, why Comstock's society sucks.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5681 on: April 13, 2015, 04:08:44 am »
Yes it does. It shows the racism and opression in Comstocks society quite clearly. It does not show the society in ruins like the previous ones because this one is worse in a certain way. Ryan and Lamb failed because their utopia did not work with the way people are. Comstock SUCCEEDED because people were ok with the racism and oppression. His town was utopia for the rulers and hell for the slaves and those who did not fit in.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5682 on: April 13, 2015, 08:23:22 am »
The fact they chose to make the Vox Populi be just as bad as Comstock was a stupid. I mean, Comstock is manifestation of colonialism, racism, and militarism in American society, but what are the Vox Populi a manifestation of?

The radical anarchists/communists of the 1900s-1910s.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5683 on: April 13, 2015, 09:31:16 am »
The wiki says that the Red Army Faction were an inspiration for the Vox populi.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #5684 on: April 13, 2015, 11:41:26 am »

The radical anarchists/communists of the 1900s-1910s.
I never actually thought of them like that, the fact there leader was black made me figure they were a floating black panthers metaphor.

That being said, I kinda think they should have gone less for a "both sides are equally evil" and made the Vox to be more a "language of the unheard" kinda deal. I feel that by showing the the options being only two extremes they forget that historically, apathy and unnecessary moderation (I speak of "maybe we wait a bit for your peoples voting rights" moderation), have been just as dangerouse,  if not more so, than outright malice.