Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1515797 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #6060 on: September 19, 2015, 01:29:55 am »
It's one area in which devs like to play moral guardian, so naturally any games that defy that stupid trend should be applauded.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #6061 on: September 19, 2015, 01:30:56 am »
I would also like a Pokemon game where I can straight up steal the Pokemon from trainers. Colosseum and XD were huge steps in this direction, but I'd like to steal any Pokemon.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6062 on: September 19, 2015, 07:23:34 am »
As part of my current Professor Layton kick, I just finished Padora's Box (at least the story, still have to do the bonus and weekly puzzles, as well and hunt down one of the fuckers that I apparently missed). You know, one thing strikes me as rather odd.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 09:47:17 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6063 on: September 19, 2015, 09:38:28 am »
Ah, child killing video games.

Enter Richard Garriott. You know, this guy:

He made the Ultima series!

And in several games in said series, you are actually *forced* to kill one or several children. This can include dropping them into a pit of lava, killing a giant group of child soldiers, having a random-ass child mage in a world where magic doesn't work start throwing fireballs at you, opening a cage allowing a large group of monsters to eat a group of children...

And, of course, Garriott did all this simply because he received letters from his family telling him not to do it during the creation of the series.

[/historylesson]

Actually, you're not forced to.  During his interview with Spoony, he points out that there's multiple solutions to the problem that don't involve killing: running away, casting Charm, Sleep, Paralyze, or Fear on them.  You had options.  Just goes to show how many RPG players automatically see an enemy and decide to just kill them, instead of finding an alternate solution to the problem.

Also, killing children is one of those things that's been taboo ever since a bunch of moral guardians pissed and moaned about the "horrible violence in games turning our kiddles into trained murderers."  Wasn't too long after that when children all but disappeared from games and, if they were present, they were conspicuously immortal.  Think of it like this: with children that could come to real, actual harm, gamers could be forced to think about their choice of attacks and approach far more effectively than just random adult NPCs.  Protecting kids is an instinct most of us have.  With mortal kids, you now have to look out and think "should I use this fireball of apocalyptic power or not?"  It gives their presence weight and gravitas that is missing when they're either simply not there or immortal.  I sure as hell know that I stopped using the minigun in Fallout whenever kids might be in the line of fire.  Besides, look me in the eye and tell me you haven't wanted to punch some of the little shits you come across (like in Skyrim) just once and have it actually do something.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6064 on: September 19, 2015, 01:31:12 pm »
There was supposed to be a peaceful solution to the kids in The Den. It was left out because Fallout 2 was released as an unfinished and buggy game by the order of the parent company and against the protest of Black Isle...

And Killapp's Fallout 2 restoration project returns much of that lost material (which was in fact stored on the game CD it just wasn't quite finished.) and with that mod you can find a new home to those kids. (You also get several other new quests and Myron at least has new voice files unlocked relating to those quests.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6065 on: September 19, 2015, 01:47:56 pm »
Just curious...who would be interested in playing a modded Minecraft server, if I got/hosted one?  I ask because the server I play on is having long downtime due to stability issues, and I just want something I can play on with some homies.  It'd likely be a somewhat large pack, but not all that hardcore.  Think of it like the old FSTDT Minecraft server, only not creative and with more shit to do than what vanilla can offer.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #6066 on: September 19, 2015, 02:25:11 pm »
Just curious...who would be interested in playing a modded Minecraft server, if I got/hosted one?  I ask because the server I play on is having long downtime due to stability issues, and I just want something I can play on with some homies.  It'd likely be a somewhat large pack, but not all that hardcore.  Think of it like the old FSTDT Minecraft server, only not creative and with more shit to do than what vanilla can offer.

i'd be in, although i don't have a mic and headset, and if i got a semi-stable connection.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6067 on: September 19, 2015, 03:16:39 pm »
Don't matter if you have a headset or mic, don't really plan on hosting a TS server.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #6068 on: September 19, 2015, 04:13:36 pm »
Having child soldiers in the game that has mercenaries fighting in Africa is among the more realistic parts of the game.

And the "horrors of war" seem to be a major theme so it fits that as well.
Pretty much true. You feel sorry for them, and treating them right is one of the few things the main 3 (Big Boss, Ocelot and Miller) agree on.
(click to show/hide)

Saw a story on the BBC today about ai controlled bionic legs which made me think of the leg walker things(?) Huey has in this. (random)

I don't get gamers obsession with killing kids in games.
Im not? I was just making an observation about it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 05:04:16 pm by IanC »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6069 on: September 19, 2015, 08:11:25 pm »
I'd at the very least poke my head in a few times. Though I haven't played Minecraft in years, so I'm probably just a little rusty.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6070 on: September 19, 2015, 11:13:39 pm »
Hasn't really changed much, at its core.  Think I might just end up doing this.  Don't fancy playing alone unless I just can't help it.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #6071 on: September 20, 2015, 11:50:33 am »
Sure, I'd pop in from time to time. haven't played Minecraft in ages and this would be a good excuse to start again.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6072 on: September 20, 2015, 01:09:57 pm »
Sweet!  I think I've found one that's got decent horsepower for a decent price.  I've got the altered FTB Infinity instance I have in mind starting up, I'm just tinkering with the configs a bit and waiting on permissions for Reika's stuff...though, I technically don't need it since its a private add-on pack for Infinity.  I'll start a new thread for it in a little bit.  Comes with a few instructions, lol.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #6073 on: September 20, 2015, 06:39:41 pm »
Steins;Gate 0 visual novel opening movie - http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-09-20/steins-gate-0-visual-novel-opening-movie-previews-kanako-itou-theme/.93171

I really want to read this. I really hope it gets a English release sooner than the original did

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #6074 on: September 27, 2015, 07:47:46 am »
Seems Steam is blocking certain tags? Trying to tag A Kiss for the Petals - Remembering How We Met, a yuri visual novel with suitable tags and well, look at the two that get greyed out and aren't searchable? Yeah. Wtf is up with that, huh?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 08:40:51 am by IanC »