Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1519037 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #6240 on: November 20, 2015, 04:55:27 am »
And I'm done. Finished every mission in Hitman: Blood Money on Pro difficulty with a Silent Assassin rating. I must say, that really was a lot easier than I expected. In fact, I finished the last two perfectly on my first try.

Congrats!  The last few missions are some of my favorites. 
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6241 on: November 20, 2015, 09:19:47 am »
Thanks for using the spoiler tags, I guess I'll stay away from this thread until I can afford a new computer and F4.

Btw, the western BoS also acted out in the open until they started a stupid war with NCR, got their shiny metal asses kicked and detonated a nuke or two as a final fuck you message.

And I like the way BoS evolved during the games. In F1 they were the big fish in the pond but were content to stay out on the sidelines. In F2 they faced a first real enemy that could outgun them and had better tech (2 was also the only game where most of them weren't dicks, people forget this often.) and then they kicked out everyone who wasn't an isolationist, tech hoarding, prick. We saw them in Tactics and F3.

...And then NV showed how well the remaining bunch had been doing...

I know!  Its so sad, because I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Brother of Steel.  They saved the god damned wasteland countless times, both on the East and West coasts, but in New Vegas, they're so sad, but I can never bring myself to hurt them.  They're my Brothers, I can't help but stick by them.  Hopefully, this one will give you more than just "help them or kill them" as options.  Bring back the Brotherhood I know, the saviours of the fucking wasteland.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
« Reply #6242 on: November 20, 2015, 03:31:04 pm »
Resident Evil 4-5 are on XBox Live for under $10 each.  Now I played 4 and wasn't a fan of the controls, but has anyone played 5 or 6?  If so, did you enjoy either one?  Which do you prefer? 
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #6243 on: November 20, 2015, 09:34:03 pm »
Resident Evil 5 is a perfectly competent game. It's not a great Resident Evil game and is an even worse horror game, but it's a solid action game.

Resident Evil 4, however, is a fantastic game, even if it abandons the survival horror elements that put the series on the map, opting for action horror instead. Though the controls do take some getting used to. I wouldn't mind seeing a version of RE4 that uses the RE5 controls.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
« Reply #6244 on: November 21, 2015, 04:59:03 am »
Resident Evil 5 is a perfectly competent game. It's not a great Resident Evil game and is an even worse horror game, but it's a solid action game.

Resident Evil 4, however, is a fantastic game, even if it abandons the survival horror elements that put the series on the map, opting for action horror instead. Though the controls do take some getting used to. I wouldn't mind seeing a version of RE4 that uses the RE5 controls.

I really wanted to like RE 4, but I found the controls incredibly annoying.  Are the controls in 5 better?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6245 on: November 21, 2015, 08:22:17 am »
They took RE4 controls and now that's the standard.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #6246 on: November 21, 2015, 11:17:34 am »
They did refine them a bit. They put the fire button and put it on the trigger and let you move while aiming, but it still feels a lot like the RE4 controls.
Who needs a signature?

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #6247 on: November 21, 2015, 12:55:08 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83FP3nRKECc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83FP3nRKECc</a>

looks like microsoft and 343 industries actually put a lot of thought into making the mjolnir armor. really cool vid.

still, i've got a soft spot for odsts, basically asked to tackle spartan jobs armed with smg's and titanium-cored balls of steels.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6248 on: November 21, 2015, 01:00:20 pm »
ODST's are the shit, I mean don't get me wrong I love the Spartan I,II,III and IV's but when your job is to get inside a metal coffin and be shot out of from orbit onto a planet into the thick of Covenant forces there's something extremely  badass about that. Also the most famous ODST is played by Nathan Fillion you can't get more awesome than that.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
« Reply #6249 on: November 21, 2015, 04:00:58 pm »
They did refine them a bit. They put the fire button and put it on the trigger and let you move while aiming, but it still feels a lot like the RE4 controls.

Both seem like improvements to me.  I went ahead and downloaded it.  It's only $6 so it's no huge loss if I dislike it.  Thanks for the info.

Even Then

« Reply #6250 on: November 21, 2015, 06:35:45 pm »
I'm going to say something controversial.

I like Final Fantasy X-2.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #6251 on: November 21, 2015, 06:52:42 pm »
I'm going to say something controversial.

I like Final Fantasy X-2.

what i liked about x-2. a slight departure from the turn-based combat that annoys me to no end with all things final fantasy, and the clothes-swapping for different abilities (soft-spot for gambler yuna, loves me some rng). what i didn't like: over the top fanservice and a very poor story by ff standards (which is the main reason i play them with my friend in the first place)

my question: what makes you like ffx2? admittedly, i played it when it came out, so my memory's fuzzy.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Even Then

« Reply #6252 on: November 21, 2015, 07:05:33 pm »
The more lighthearted, campy tone, the battle system, being able to swap jobs mid-battle, the openendedness, Paine, the music (I like J-Pop, eat me)... it's just a fun game that's not meant to be taken so seriously.

I hate all the holes in the story, though. (What do you do when there's a giant deathmachine waiting to activate and skullfuck the entire world? Throw a concert!) That and the fact that 99% of the monsters were just directly CPed from the previous game.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #6253 on: November 21, 2015, 07:14:02 pm »
The more lighthearted, campy tone, the battle system, being able to swap jobs mid-battle, the openendedness, Paine, the music (I like J-Pop, eat me)... it's just a fun game that's not meant to be taken so seriously.

I hate all the holes in the story, though. (What do you do when there's a giant deathmachine waiting to activate and skullfuck the entire world? Throw a concert!) That and the fact that 99% of the monsters were just directly CPed from the previous game.

i'm not one to knock j-pop in moderate doses, and all your points do jog my memory. it was fun, but because i've always forced myself to play final fantasy for the story (while hating the gameplay), having a subpar story and too much fanservice didn't cut it for me. oh well.

as an aside, i'm struggling in the binding of isaac rebirth, and moreso because i'm frustrated to not have the ten bucks it'd cost to get the dlc. don't get me wrong, struggling is the point of the game, but i'm at the point where i've got some good items, but it's becoming too luck-based to actually get game-breaking combos to beat the game to unlock final-tier items. arg. the frustration is immense.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
« Reply #6254 on: November 24, 2015, 05:07:20 am »
All right, I got RE5 and am enjoying it.  Not a fan of not being able to move and shoot, but at least the trigger is where it should be. 

I did have a face-palm moment early on; "Ooh, a switch.  I like pressing switches!  Uh, oh, the lights are flashing and a siren is blaring.  I better duck into that doorway before it closes.  Wait, did I see the word, 'Furnace?'"