Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1653826 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #4755 on: December 11, 2014, 11:30:53 am »

i don't see how that's good. but perhaps i'm being a bit harsh, on account of the fact that i don't believe in the concept of racism (xenophobia, on the other hand is a huge problem). you see, admitting that there is a concept of "racism" is admitting that there are different races of humans. there are none anymore (for example, neanderthal was a different race, but they're extinct). this cartoon is a bunch of strawmen. what should be done is adress the root cause instead of decrying those fallacies.

10 is a moot point. it's over and done, get over it. the more defensive you are, the guiltier you look.
9 is bull. it's not ok to criticize anyone based on origins.
8 is false, seeing as xenophobia is still rampant worldwide.
7 is a no true scotsman.
6 is too near-sighted. let's talk "racism", not "racism against x". target the big problem, not the details.
5 what. cultural myopia combined with political correctness gone silly?
4 it does distract from the point, but it is related, so no, it's not unfair. immigration is a problem: humans should go wherever they feel like going.
3 bull. unless you're a goddamned blessed handyman, give credit where credit is due.
2 no true scotsman.
1 good for you, that however doesn't discount you from helping to kill racism and xenophobia. that's what i'm doing right now.

this comic is as racist as anything: just flip the race card around and it applies to any background. that, and it's racist by recognizing whites as a race. it's not. i'd move this to "worst political cartoons", truth be told.

...I think you're really missing the point.

nah, felt like raging tumblr-style. but imagine not believing in race like i do and seeing humans tear each other apart. it would rankle for you too.

On a side note, I find that random bolding to be kinda funny.  I can't help but imagine these guys talking like William Shatner.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4756 on: December 11, 2014, 12:54:12 pm »

i don't see how that's good. but perhaps i'm being a bit harsh, on account of the fact that i don't believe in the concept of racism (xenophobia, on the other hand is a huge problem). you see, admitting that there is a concept of "racism" is admitting that there are different races of humans. there are none anymore (for example, neanderthal was a different race, but they're extinct). this cartoon is a bunch of strawmen. what should be done is adress the root cause instead of decrying those fallacies.

Except that, y'know, racism is real and there are different races of humans in the relevant sense.

One can argue about whether "race" corresponds to a biologically meaningful concept like "species" or "subspecies" or whatever. I'll leave that to the biologists. But it is a simple empirical fact that there are groups of people with some ethnically related traits, be it shape of eyes or melanin content or something else*. And people treat other people differently based on which groups they belong to. The argument that it's not really racism because you choose to define race as "subspecies" is semantics. The word has a clear meaning in common usage; that it doesn't match the "subspecies" definition is a problem with that definition, not proof that the concept doesn't exist.

*not necessarily sharply distinguished groups, there are obviously going to be edge cases, but that doesn't change the argument.
Σא

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #4757 on: December 11, 2014, 01:09:48 pm »

Except that, y'know, racism is real and there are different races of humans in the relevant sense.

One can argue about whether "race" corresponds to a biologically meaningful concept like "species" or "subspecies" or whatever. I'll leave that to the biologists. But it is a simple empirical fact that there are groups of people with some ethnically related traits, be it shape of eyes or melanin content or something else*. And people treat other people differently based on which groups they belong to. The argument that it's not really racism because you choose to define race as "subspecies" is semantics. The word has a clear meaning in common usage; that it doesn't match the "subspecies" definition is a problem with that definition, not proof that the concept doesn't exist.

*not necessarily sharply distinguished groups, there are obviously going to be edge cases, but that doesn't change the argument.

indeed, it is semantics, yet therein lies the problem: if we attack the root cause as different "races", then it implies that people are indeed different, whereas if we attack the problem the same way as we fight xenophobia (which it is), then it's easier to handle. for instance, culture shock and fear of the unknown are the root causes of xenophobia, and we can fight that. how do you want to fight a problem that boils down to "i don't like him 'cause he's black"? you can't, so you change your angle of attack. that's what i'm getting at. sigma, you of all people know that words have power. let's drop the pretense that racism is a thing and call it for what it is: xenophobia. sure, it's not ideal (we're on earth and not pixie-land), but at least let's destroy an ennemy we can fight. once xenophobia is curbed, racism will go down as well incidentally.

i'm not being a douche about this, i'm choosing my fights, even if they're tangential, they get the job done in a roundabout way. this comes from a study a friend made in sociology trying to come up with accurate figures of racists. turns out people who study other cultures end up less racist, even if it's for one semester. knowing others is a key to kill xenophobia, and once the fear is gone, the prejudice is too.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4758 on: December 11, 2014, 02:10:53 pm »
indeed, it is semantics, yet therein lies the problem: if we attack the root cause as different "races", then it implies that people are indeed different, whereas if we attack the problem the same way as we fight xenophobia (which it is), then it's easier to handle. for instance, culture shock and fear of the unknown are the root causes of xenophobia, and we can fight that. how do you want to fight a problem that boils down to "i don't like him 'cause he's black"? you can't, so you change your angle of attack. that's what i'm getting at. sigma, you of all people know that words have power. let's drop the pretense that racism is a thing and call it for what it is: xenophobia. sure, it's not ideal (we're on earth and not pixie-land), but at least let's destroy an ennemy we can fight. once xenophobia is curbed, racism will go down as well incidentally.

Hmm. I disagree with your terminology, but I mostly agree with your plan of action.
Σא

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #4759 on: December 11, 2014, 03:12:52 pm »

Hmm. I disagree with your terminology, but I mostly agree with your plan of action.

fair enough, at least we agree on the important bits, that's what matters.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #4760 on: December 12, 2014, 08:45:31 am »

sorry for the double post, this made me chuckle, especially as i enjoy screaming near political activists that the real enemy is the enemy within... i'm a bad person.

edit: i had a dumb and fixed it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 12:24:06 pm by guizonde »

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #4761 on: December 12, 2014, 10:28:51 am »
Cartoons that spark a discussion? Interesting.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4762 on: December 15, 2014, 06:05:18 pm »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4763 on: December 17, 2014, 02:53:36 am »

Quote from: George W Bush
He can’t have it both ways. He can’t take the high horse and then claim the low road.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 01:26:11 pm by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4764 on: December 19, 2014, 10:06:18 am »
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 06:45:35 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4765 on: December 21, 2014, 06:45:47 pm »

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #4766 on: December 21, 2014, 07:10:22 pm »

would "enhanced political activism" be a brick to the face? i hate those people.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #4767 on: December 24, 2014, 05:48:37 am »

would "enhanced political activism" be a brick to the face? i hate those people.

Homestead, surely? Or Kent State?
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #4768 on: December 24, 2014, 12:25:19 pm »

Homestead, surely? Or Kent State?

Police constantly getting away with unnecessary violence and brutality: "enhanced law enforcement."
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4769 on: December 24, 2014, 01:28:41 pm »

Huh?