Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1652837 times)

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast

pyro

Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #5386 on: November 27, 2015, 07:57:45 pm »
I hear a point in the chick's remark, but "guys" as gender-neutral is getting pretty standard now, especially when it's used in "you guys" --- the plural form of "you".

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #5388 on: November 27, 2015, 08:41:30 pm »
I hear a point in the chick's remark, but "guys" as gender-neutral is getting pretty standard now, especially when it's used in "you guys" --- the plural form of "you".

Bah. Clearly the plural form of you is y'all.

English speakers being all "oh no we contracted all forms of the second person pronoun into one and now we need to make distinctions" is fascinating to me.
Σא

pyro

« Reply #5389 on: November 27, 2015, 08:53:06 pm »
English speakers being all "oh no we contracted all forms of the second person pronoun into one and now we need to make distinctions" is fascinating to me.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #5390 on: November 27, 2015, 09:13:10 pm »

Bah. Clearly the plural form of you is y'all.

you want fun? try teaching an englishman and an american the distinctions between familiar and formal (vous/tu or usted/vos//tu). from experience, an american will adopt the familiar form, an englishman will adopt the formal (strict translation of "you", after all). and us bilinguals get very confused very quickly about which form to use with whom when mental and physical fatigue come into play.

my friends still make fun of me when i address a crowd as "tu" and one of them as "vous" when i'm not thinking clearly. to be fair, it's one crowd, so one entity, so it's a legit mistake. [/smartass]

@pyro: good one, i think there's one floating around about all the false rhymes too, something about only a native speaker being able to pronounce it correctly (although seeing some words, i'm pretty sure you need at least high school education to pull it off).
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #5391 on: November 27, 2015, 09:27:02 pm »
I honestly wish English had a modern "usted" equivalent, because I've felt the need for it several times when speaking to people like professors and bosses.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #5392 on: November 27, 2015, 11:15:33 pm »
Eh, I learned "Sie" in German without much trouble. But, I am Southern. The type of Southern where I would get slapped across the face if I didn't refer to someone as "Mr.," "Ms.," "Sir," or "Ma'am." Probably helped me recognize the formal parts of language a bit easier.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #5393 on: November 27, 2015, 11:21:21 pm »
I honestly wish English had a modern "usted" equivalent, because I've felt the need for it several times when speaking to people like professors and bosses.

It trades against the problem that you'd end up with people where formality standards are unclear and you don't know which to use. I've had professors who objected to overly-formal address, made them feel old.

I'd suggest bringing back 'thou', except given current cultural context it's going to sound more formal than 'you' and not less.
Σא

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #5394 on: November 27, 2015, 11:39:23 pm »
You is a bastardization of thou anyways. See wkikpedia thorn page section "Middle and Early Modern English". Extrapolate from "ye" (as in "ye olde butcherede englishe") being the, and pronounced as such, and, well, you see where I'm going.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 11:44:09 pm by Svata »
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #5395 on: November 27, 2015, 11:48:56 pm »

It trades against the problem that you'd end up with people where formality standards are unclear and you don't know which to use. I've had professors who objected to overly-formal address, made them feel old.

I'd suggest bringing back 'thou', except given current cultural context it's going to sound more formal than 'you' and not less.

that happened to me wednesday. i was with an irish client, so when we first met, i was very polite and formal in french. then the translation started and we switched to english, and it sounded downright casual compared to when we spoke french. turned out it was a blessing in disguise as the session was about some very serious family business, and the family enjoyed the casualness my translation injected into the conversation.

also, first time i met my (american) anglophone coworkers, we instinctively switched to informal in french to try and grab back some of that casual feel from english. we got some odd stares from the russophones, talking with informal construction within minutes of meeting each other. it would seem maghrebi arabic is similar in that regard.

any pretense at knowing what we're doing flies out the window when addressing or getting addressed by english anglophones, though. "tu" and "vous" become interchangeable, which is part of the anglophone charm, or so i'm told.

to address your last point, sigma, i don't think bringing back thou is necessary, all we need to do is define clearly whether a language is formal or informal at its core. if it's informal like american, then use honorifics, like "sir", "ma'am", "miss" etc... that's how i've been winging it for the past few years, and it seems to be working, although i get "aww, cute, a little yankee" looks from englishmen.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5396 on: November 28, 2015, 11:47:59 am »

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #5397 on: November 28, 2015, 11:54:16 am »
That actually is an objectively good political cartoon. Drawing could be better and sad rather than funny.
But good point well made (and cleverly too)

8 out of 10

pyro

« Reply #5398 on: November 28, 2015, 01:36:18 pm »
And they didn't use a computer or xerox for the people.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #5399 on: November 28, 2015, 01:36:49 pm »
that is clever. it represents very well voter apathy. that's also why voting is a right, not a duty. you're free to choose.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯