Author Topic: Birmingham School of Pepper Spray  (Read 5382 times)

Offline Ranger_Joe

• Pope
  • The Stranger With Candy
Re: Birmingham School of Pepper Spray
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 01:26:53 am »
He was just trying to make sure she was getting all her vitamins. It's practically a food supplement, after all.
Rangers Lead The Way..All The Way!

I would give a fuck, but I gave my last one to your mother last night.

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 01:44:40 am »
FUCK

Offline Ranger_Joe

• Pope
  • The Stranger With Candy
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 02:51:11 am »
Rangers Lead The Way..All The Way!

I would give a fuck, but I gave my last one to your mother last night.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 02:56:35 am »
Vitamins killed my father.  I shall have my revenge.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 04:52:46 am »
I was eleven years old. And when I was strong enough, I dedicated my life to the study of nutrition. So the next time we meet, I will not fail. I will go up to the vitamins and say, "Hello. My name is Jack Mann. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 05:03:58 am »
New rule: Anyone who claims pepper spray to be a "food product" has to consume one full can of it on the spot.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 07:09:35 am »
If your not physically threatenin­g the teacher then you will not get pepper sprayed.

Yes you will. The lawsuit points to numerous occasions where non-threatening students were, nevertheless, assaulted for fun.

So, I logged onto the net today and I was greeted by this little beauty of a petition in my eMail from Change.org:

http://www.change.org/petitions/birmingham-stop-pepper-spraying-high-school-students When I saw Gloria, I couldn’t believe how red and swollen her face was. She was crying out to me to help her and I couldn’t do anything. She had red welts all over her face and her eyes were red. Days later the welts turned to black scabs that took two weeks to go away.

After Gloria was sprayed, I was shocked to learn that this was not an isolated incident. Nearly 200 Birmingham high school students have been sprayed with pepper spray in just the last five years.

The Birmingham Board of Education and Superintendent know about the routine use of pepper spray in schools and have done nothing to stop it. Birmingham Mayor William Bell knows about and authorizes the use of pepper spray against our children. Birmingham’s elected officials, who are supposed to represent the interests of parents and residents, know this is happening and have done nothing to stop it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/07/birmingham-high-schools-allegedly-use-pepper-spray-more-than-anywhere-else_n_1134318.html[/url]
After a lawsuit was filed last year on behalf of eight high school students against the Birmingham Board of Education over the use of pepper spray against them at school, one attorney from the Southern Poverty Law Center...

How regularly? SPLC officials say that the frequency had reached about 100 times over the last five years.

According to a separate report by The Birmingham News, two students included in the complaint are a 17-year-old girl who was four months pregnant when she was pepper-sprayed, and an 18-year-old girl with a heart murmur.

Grievous bodily harm (20 years in jail), aggravated assault (5 or so years in jail) and three-strikes (20 years in jail). All of the police, the mayor and any teachers who were aware of, or encouraged the unnecessary or disproportionate use of pepper spray on children should be prosecuted and sued to the full extent of the law. No mercy is necessary. The students are not criminals- their abusers are.

These wouldn't happen to be African-American students, now, would they?

Pepper-spray- modern day firehoses.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 09:30:18 am »
It is well known throughout Jefferson and Shelby counties that the Birmingham City school district is horrible.  Hel, the very existence of that district is a large part of why JeffCo is splintered into so many smaller districts in the first place.  I lived around there for years, and I can't name a single school district in the area that has more than about 10 schools in it.  "White flight" is a major problem in every poor township in the greater Birmingham area as well, exacerbating race-related problems.

I saw Tarrant go from a relatively normal-looking mix of races (white and black students were represented in about the same proportions as in the general population in central AL) to more than 50% black in about 4-5 years.*  Not surprisingly, there was a corresponding influx in really bad teachers, many of whom tended to believe that the black students were naturally delinquent and needed to be kept on a shorter leash.  The bad teachers, in turn, led to a more dangerous school environment (because the one sure-fire way to make people violent is to perpetuate the stereotype that they are violent).  A lot of decent teachers, including my mother, fled in droves because Tarrant's schools no longer felt safe.  Etc.

The difference is that decent teachers (many of whom  are black themselves--yay for giving black kids more positive role models!) are actually returning to Tarrant, slowly but surely, and starting to head off the damage that has been done.  In Birmingham City, racism and authoritarianism have been allowed to run wild, to the point that I wouldn't bat an eyelash if actual guns were used against those poor kids. (Note to any BCSB employees who might be reading this: this is NOT a suggestion.)

So yeah, as depressing as this is, and as flagrant an abuse of civil rights, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

* In my mind, it seems like it took longer, but actually thinking about the dates allowed me to correct this.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 09:41:30 am by TheL »
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!