Community > FQA Projects

Stuff I've written: The Culture of Assumption

<< < (2/3) > >>

PosthumanHeresy:
I agree with what has been said, but would like to add, I know that feeling. My family is poor due to bad luck, assholes and the economy, and we're hard working as ever. Hell, part of the reason I'm doing a one meal a day diet is to lose weight, but the other is to save money.

Sour Grapes:
Well if the nice folks, here, would help me with the facts and figures, I'll see about adding them, and polishing the article.

JohnE:
Like others have said, it's a good start, but it needs fleshing out. I'm going to look for some sources for relevant facts. Off the top of my head, you could reference that McDonalds suggested employee budget and point out how, even though it assumes a second job AND ridiculously low estimates for some expenses, it STILL barely leaves enough to live on, let alone grow any wealth.

Sour Grapes:

--- Quote from: JohnE on August 15, 2013, 09:03:40 pm ---Like others have said, it's a good start, but it needs fleshing out. I'm going to look for some sources for relevant facts. Off the top of my head, you could reference that McDonalds suggested employee budget and point out how, even though it assumes a second job AND ridiculously low estimates for some expenses, it STILL barely leaves enough to live on, let alone grow any wealth.

--- End quote ---
Also need demographics on what pay grades buy the most booze.  Not sure if there would be accurate numbers for drugs.  Also break-downs of who, exactly is on the dole... 

Also, facts and figures about charities, and how well they are able to help people, compared to Government helping people.

JohnE:
Here's what I've found so far:

(click to show/hide)A Profile of the Working Poor
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, March 2013

23% of the the poor, or 10.5 million people, are "working poor," i.e. people who are poor despite working, rather than because they're too lazy to work.

Poverty in the United Stated: Frequently Asked Questions
National Poverty Center

Also, over a third of the poor are children, so you can't exactly hold that against them.

Contrary to "Entitlement Society" Rhetoric, Over Nine Tenths of Entitlement Benefits Go to Elderly, Disabled, and Working Housholds
Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

--- Quote ---A new CBPP analysis of budget and Census data, however, shows that more than 90 percent of the benefit dollars that entitlement and other mandatory programs[1] spend go to assist people who are elderly, seriously disabled, or members of working households — not to able-bodied, working-age Americans who choose not to work.  (See Figure 1.)  This figure has changed little in the past few years.
--- End quote ---

Many Young Adults in Poverty Have a College Degree, Report Says
The Chronicle of Higher Education, August 15, 2013

Among Americans age 18 to 26 living in poverty, almost half (42-47% depending on the year), were enrolled in college or had been at some point. Only 11% of them had graduated, but that's probably because most of them were still enrolled and working towards it.

NIAAA Researchers Estimate Alcohol and Drug Use, Abuse, and Dependence Among Welfare Recipients
National Institute of Health

Drug and alcohol use among welfare recipients is pretty much exactly the same as in the general population.

Editorial: Drug testing welfare recipients nets little
USA Today

Arizona drug-tests 87,000 welfare recipients. One tests positive.

The 4 Types of People on Welfare Nobody Talks About
Cracked

Yes, it's a Cracked article, but read #3. It does a good job of describing some of the things that make it near impossible to climb out of poverty.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version