Community > FQA Projects

The Warden's Guide to Firearm safety and views (WORK IN PROGRESS)

<< < (3/19) > >>

Damen:
On AR-15 type rifles, you push out the rear take-down pin, drop open the upper receiver and then remove the bolt. Gives you a straight line-of-sight down the bore.

chitoryu12:
It IS technically safe to look down the bore from the muzzle if you've removed the necessary parts. If the ammunition and bolt are removed, it's impossible for the gun to be loaded and fired and you have a clear view down the barrel because there's nothing but daylight at the other end. It's just a good habit to fully field strip the weapon before doing that kind of thing, rather than just pulling the bolt out and shoving the muzzle crown against your eyeball; you MIGHT forget an important step otherwise.

--- Quote ---It works the same way with all the bolt action rifles I've seen so far and is pretty handy. Also makes cleaning the gun pretty easy.
--- End quote ---

Some of them take a little more effort, like needing to hit a switch somewhere on the side or removing another small part first.

chitoryu12:
One addendum to this:

--- Quote ---11: Always remember, Double-Barrel Biden IS WRONG! A load of buckshot WILL go through the wall and into the next room. So will .223, 9mm, .45 ACP, .357 Mag, .38 spl and many, many others. A projectile shot from a firearm is a heavy piece of metal flying through the air at high velocity and, as many of us know, Force = Mass x Acceleration. Always know your surroundings when discharging a firearm and this goes doubly if you're in your home. If you are using your firearm for home defense, purchase rounds designed for home defense. They are expensive, yes, but many are designed to reduce the risk of over penetration. And if it has less ability to go through a wall then get it.
--- End quote ---

Always be prepared for overpenetration. Yes, there are specialized rounds to mitigate this problem. Yes, less powerful rounds have less overpenetration. No, there is no magic bullet that will never overpenetrate. Tests have shown that even the .22 Long Rifle round, one of the most infamously "weak" cartridges, can still at least pass into the next room if fired in a typical house or apartment. Whenever you fire a gun in a house, especially a rifle or powerful pistol, always be prepared for that round to not only pass through the assailant, but also into the next room and maybe even the one after that. If that bullet goes out a window, God only knows where it'll end up.

Cerim Treascair:
I have to admit, I'm surprised (and learning all sorts of nifty stuff from this thread, for the record) that a 9mm round will go through a wall.  I was under the impression that 9mm rounds were so cheap because they had next to no real stopping power compared to .22 rounds and up.

Askold:

--- Quote from: Cerim Treascair on November 10, 2013, 02:45:03 am ---I have to admit, I'm surprised (and learning all sorts of nifty stuff from this thread, for the record) that a 9mm round will go through a wall.  I was under the impression that 9mm rounds were so cheap because they had next to no real stopping power compared to .22 rounds and up.

--- End quote ---
9mm is cheap because it is so popular. It is used by most militaries and police forces and therefore it is made in such huge quantities that it is cheap. In fact people often buy a 9mm for action shooting or self defense purely because it is so cheap. (Which, again, helps keep the price down.)

If it had no real stopping power then it would not be used by police and soldiers, simple as that. And I know that the whole "9mm is weak get a .45" meme has been in existence ever since 9mm was first created back in 1910's but it really is a deadly round.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version