Community > Politics and Government

Santorum: Let States Ban Birth Control

<< < (5/5)

Jodie:

--- Quote from: DasFuchs on January 04, 2012, 11:54:57 pm ---
--- Quote from: ironbite on January 04, 2012, 05:19:14 pm ---No no no.  They need to criminalize conception.

Ironbite-that's how you nip the problem in the bud

--- End quote ---
Nah, too hard and not wide spread enough.
Sex should be outlawed.
You get caught with Mr. Happy hangin' out or some girl gets caught displaying the paradise and bam, cuff time

--- End quote ---

So no getting naked at all - gotcha. I like showing with my clothes on anyway.

erictheblue:

--- Quote from: booley on January 04, 2012, 09:36:39 pm ---if memory serves, Santorum is reffering to Griswold.

That case established for the first time a right to privacy.  So take it out and you not only effect Roe v Wade but any pro gay ruling as well.
--- End quote ---

Not necessarily. Case law is full of still-valid holdings based on holdings that are no longer valid. He can hope that overturning Griswold will bleed over to other privacy holdings, but it wouldn't be automatic.

Oriet:
I would ask if he realises that birth control pills are used for a wide variety of things besides preventing impregnation, but I'm pretty sure he just doesn't care.

Lt. Fred:

--- Quote from: sandman on January 04, 2012, 04:27:44 pm --- Not to mention the criminalization of alcohol directly leading to the establishment of organized crime.
--- End quote ---

Organised crime existed before prohibition. what is the Klan if not organised crime?

which brings up a point. That's the reason why conservatives like 50 separate governments- at a national level, they're on equal terms, but in a single state they can heavily outnumbers Decent human beings. That explains their similar arguments in the antebellum period, and indeed the Confederacy itself. why coexist with nasty subhuman liberals when you could just create conservatopia and happily oppress gays, blacks, women and the poor to your heart's content?

--- Quote from: Smurfette Principle on January 04, 2012, 09:25:44 pm --- I had one girl in my class ask why black people didn't move to escape segregated states.
--- End quote ---

They did move, in their millions. There was a mass migration of African-Americans from the South to the North* between 1850 or so and 1970 or so. But they found a society that was, if anything, more segregated- just less obviously so. Heard of redlining?

* And of whites to California. But that's just because Southern governments are historically shithouse.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version