Author Topic: Dumbest Protest Signs  (Read 1113981 times)

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Re: Dumbest Protest Signs
« Reply #2640 on: September 01, 2013, 10:49:29 pm »
I have no idea how the American high-school system works with electives and all that, so I can't really comment on it. I wouldn't doubt that it can use a fair bit of rewriting, though.

My point is that removing relatively basic stuff* from the curriculum will have negative side effects. And I'm sure it's annoying to have to learn maths when it looks like you'll never use it; I've had roughly similar experiences with most things I learnt in my last couple of years of secondary school. Quite a lot of which I've forgotten by now. But I also think that there should be a fair amount of the school curriculum that's there just for the purpose of getting exposed to new fields you didn't know before, and you might actually be interested in. I knew I'd go into science several years before finishing secondary, but I know a lot of people who changed their minds on what to study on their last years of secondary (or later). If they had determined too much of their final years' material beforehand, they would have never been exposed to the things they later decided interested them.

*and Pythagoras' theorem is pretty fucking basic, in terms of maths that isn't just arithmetic. I actually find the idea of learning it in high school rather troubling; it should be learnt at primary school level, whatever it is you call that in America.
That's the issue with the American high school system. It is counterproductive to exposing you to fields. It gets the bare essentials and a few electives. What I'm calling for is less things everyone has to take and more room for various electives.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2641 on: September 01, 2013, 11:05:23 pm »
I have no idea how the American high-school system works with electives and all that, so I can't really comment on it. I wouldn't doubt that it can use a fair bit of rewriting, though.

My point is that removing relatively basic stuff* from the curriculum will have negative side effects. And I'm sure it's annoying to have to learn maths when it looks like you'll never use it; I've had roughly similar experiences with most things I learnt in my last couple of years of secondary school. Quite a lot of which I've forgotten by now. But I also think that there should be a fair amount of the school curriculum that's there just for the purpose of getting exposed to new fields you didn't know before, and you might actually be interested in. I knew I'd go into science several years before finishing secondary, but I know a lot of people who changed their minds on what to study on their last years of secondary (or later). If they had determined too much of their final years' material beforehand, they would have never been exposed to the things they later decided interested them.

*and Pythagoras' theorem is pretty fucking basic, in terms of maths that isn't just arithmetic. I actually find the idea of learning it in high school rather troubling; it should be learnt at primary school level, whatever it is you call that in America.
That's the issue with the American high school system. It is counterproductive to exposing you to fields. It gets the bare essentials and a few electives. What I'm calling for is less things everyone has to take and more room for various electives.

If you wanna go that way, then 'nix the required English courses.  Seriously, if you don't know how to read, write, and speak proper fucking English, or a close facsimile, after 9 or so years of having it taught to you, then you're not gonna fucking learn it.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #2642 on: September 01, 2013, 11:21:32 pm »

If you wanna go that way, then 'nix the required English courses.  Seriously, if you don't know how to read, write, and speak proper fucking English, or a close facsimile, after 9 or so years of having it taught to you, then you're not gonna fucking learn it.
I'm not sure if I agree or not. On one hand, it seems overly cynical, even to me. On the other hand, it does seem to be the trend.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #2643 on: September 02, 2013, 12:30:34 am »

That image looks sooo shopped. But damn it, whoever made this image, I learned how to vote way before I was high school.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #2644 on: September 02, 2013, 12:35:06 am »
My father who has done manual labor all of his life once told me that Pythagoras' theorem is in his opinion one of the most important things he ever learned at primary school. Knowing how to improvise a tool to measure an accurate right angle has been immensely useful to him in many situations.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #2645 on: September 02, 2013, 02:19:34 am »
My father who has done manual labor all of his life once told me that Pythagoras' theorem is in his opinion one of the most important things he ever learned at primary school. Knowing how to improvise a tool to measure an accurate right angle has been immensely useful to him in many situations.
Again, it depends on the field. For a large portion of human beings, it's as important as knowing not to wear white after Labor Day (which reminds me, I should get white pants so I can wear them with a white shirt soon).

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #2646 on: September 02, 2013, 02:31:33 am »
The shirt has a point. Chances are, if you enjoyed math beforehand, you'd already want to go into math classes. For people like me, who think math is about as enjoyable as getting shot in the nuts, always have, and always will, I could have done without the shit taught in high school, outside of financial mathematics (which is why I'm taking it this year, my senior year), and taken courses that I would actually apply to my life and use to expand my knowledge. Guess what I don't remember any of? Did you guess "Algebra or Geometry"? You're completely correct! It's being able to regurgitate it long enough to pass, not learning.

Without at least some maths classes, you can't actually know whether you'll like maths or not. Most maths-liking people (e.g. me) don't actually know that we are until we, y'know, go to school and learn some maths beyond basic arithmetic. For example, Pythagoras' Theorem (which is actually useful in general beyond going into a maths-intensive field, but I digress).

I would also make the (weaker) argument that learning maths teaches fundamental reasoning skills that can be applied in general outside the specific domain. Most fields have some use for abstract logical thinking, but mathematics is made of it, which makes it ideally suited for teaching it

And, finally: statistics. It can come up in nearly everything, it is frequently misunderstood, and it takes some mathematical reasoning beyond basic arithmetic to use it at the 'bare competence' level. It is as fundamental to an informed populace as history or civics, and schools have just as much of a duty to prepare students to deal with it.

To acknowledge my biases here: I'm a mathy person, and I tend to think in mathematical terms, which can lead me to underestimate the difficulty of learning maths and overestimate its importance. Which is why I qualify as weak the 'abstract reasoning' argument.

As a non-mathy person (in that I can generally grasp the concepts, but usually find them boring as fuck*), I tend to agree with you. Particularly the bolded part.

* There are rare exceptions, usually in areas that overlap with physics and other sciences.

ETA: If I recall correctly, we first learned Pythagoras' theorem in junior high. We made some use of it in high school, but I'm pretty sure I remember learning about it in either grade 8 or 9. Mind you, I'm in Canada, so it's possible things are different in the States.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 02:42:05 am by Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #2647 on: September 02, 2013, 03:50:21 am »
Again, it depends on the field. For a large portion of human beings, it's as important as knowing not to wear white after Labor Day (which reminds me, I should get white pants so I can wear them with a white shirt soon).
No. Knowing how to make a straight angle can be important or at least very helpful for example if you make items or constructions either in your workplace or in your spare time. Just like knowing how to calculate areas and volumes it's something anyone might need. It's a basic and simple concept and has enough practical applications that teaching it to everyone is beneficial.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #2648 on: September 02, 2013, 05:15:32 am »
ETA: If I recall correctly, we first learned Pythagoras' theorem in junior high. We made some use of it in high school, but I'm pretty sure I remember learning about it in either grade 8 or 9. Mind you, I'm in Canada, so it's possible things are different in the States.
We did the Pythagorean theorem in grade.. 7 or 8, I believe here (Ontario), and we started algebra in grade... 6, I think. I'm infamously bad at math but those are two things I managed to actually understand and somewhat remember. And my elementary school was shitty.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #2649 on: September 02, 2013, 06:10:30 am »
I don't share dissing Pythagoras (calculating distances in a coordinate system!), but the shirt has a point in that the points on the list are rather essential. Some said that they did learn it in school, but if the shirt's author didn't, it was a clear failing of the school (or the author was a lazy careless shit in class, but it's still not exactly a point of pride for the teacher.)
I too had a civics-equivalent class. I can vote (and I'm not sure whether I was taught it in there. My predominant memory is how the history teacher spent one class distributing anonymized party manifestos and having the students compare and identify them), but 'how to do taxes' is definitely not among my learned skills.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2650 on: September 02, 2013, 07:31:01 am »
I'd be a lot more sympathetic towards the shirt if getting high school kids to learn didn't involve twisting their arms and explaining basic concepts over and over and over to them again only to have them immediately dump everything they learned out the window because "hey I'm not in school anymore I don't need to know this stuff anymore"

See: EVERYONE WHO SPEAKS AOLESE PAST 14 YEARS OF AGE!

You want to be taught how to do stuff at an adult level?  Prove that you can do the stuff you're asked to do at a teenage.  Then we'll talk.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #2651 on: September 02, 2013, 07:45:30 am »
I could've sworn we did Pythagoras in Year 4 or so at Primary school (age 9-10) in the UK, it's there with the times tables for basic maths. The government's now suggesting that people who fail the maths GCSE (exam at 16) should study more maths until they pass it. This is along with the leaving age being raised to 18.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #2652 on: September 02, 2013, 07:51:13 am »
I could've sworn we did Pythagoras in Year 4 or so at Primary school (age 9-10) in the UK, it's there with the times tables for basic maths. The government's now suggesting that people who fail the maths GCSE (exam at 16) should study more maths until they pass it. This is along with the leaving age being raised to 18.

I didn't study Pythagoras till high school, but my Primary school was rubbish.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2653 on: September 02, 2013, 12:05:20 pm »
I'm certain we studied it in 8th grade here...but 8th grade is a fuzzy year for me.(What with that being the year I got punched in the face eight times and all.)

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #2654 on: September 02, 2013, 01:59:31 pm »
Yeah, it wasn't until high school here, and honestly, when it comes to math, it's all ancient Sumerian to me, because even Greek would be easier. I can memorize with ease anything history, government, politics or English related. Mathematics related stuff? Nope.