Author Topic: Why do modern audiences see homoeroticism everywhere?  (Read 10143 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Why do modern audiences see homoeroticism everywhere?
« on: January 20, 2014, 09:18:07 pm »
Homosexuality has made great strides in the media.  Homosexual characters have gone from being marginalized as villains and walking jokes to being well-developed.  However, there's a flipside to the coin: people seeing gay subtext where none exists.

I wish modern audiences would stop interpreting EVERYTHING in the media as gay. One character helping another up, characters arguing a lot, or characters just demonstrating friendly or even sibling-esque affection will all get labeled evidence that they secretly want to bone. This doesn't bother me because I'm uncomfortable with gay sexuality; it bothers me because I'm uncomfortable with everything being interpreted as sexuality in the first place. For God's sake people, there are other types of relationships. Some shows encourage this subtext on purpose, but in many cases it's just fans letting their imaginations get waaaaay away from them.

Why do you think this is going on?

Art Vandelay

Re: Why do modern audiences see homoeroticism everywhere?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 09:25:51 pm »
You're talking about fanfiction writers? If so, I wouldn't take them too seriously. They're just yet another breed of stupid fantards on the internet, right up there with weeaboos, bronies, most Mass Effect fans and the like. Incredibly loud and annoying, but also completely irrelevant to anyone with half a functioning brain. Probably best not to take them too seriously, much less assume they represent all consumers.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 09:29:00 pm »
Its like everyone keeps talking about the underlying homoeroticism in Brideshead Revisited. I don't get it.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 09:33:13 pm »
Homoerotic subtext has always been there, and people have always seen it where it may or may not be there. The difference is that the internet allows people with "two guys talked? THEY MUST BUTTFUCK" notions to band together and form an echo chamber. That, and it's much more acceptable to talk about homosexuality in general without worrying about the Secret Police/Inquisition/etc.

(Slightly off topic, but: Art, which brony/Mass Effect fan crapped in your cornflakes?)
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 09:44:22 pm »
(Slightly off topic, but: Art, which brony/Mass Effect fan crapped in your cornflakes?)
Eh? It's not one fan, it's that those fandoms overall tend to me the most loud and obnoxious on the internet right now. Admittedly, bronies have mellowed out quite a bit recently, but by god do they have a history.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 09:54:07 pm »
I find it to be quite heavy in people that talk a lot about lgbt rights. The more they interpret faggotry in a given media, the more they wish the faggotry would appear on screen and give gay representation. And when they dont get the buttsex they oh so crave they search for even more subtextual cocksucking to yell about
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 10:39:27 pm »
Eh? It's not one fan, it's that those fandoms overall tend to me the most loud and obnoxious on the internet right now. Admittedly, bronies have mellowed out quite a bit recently, but by god do they have a history.
When one of their favorite blogs Ask Princess Molestria got the boot, I wouldn't say they've calmed down at all. I am sadly doubtful they will ever.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 10:44:32 pm »
When one of their favorite blogs Ask Princess Molestria got the boot, I wouldn't say they've calmed down at all. I am sadly doubtful they will ever.
Well, they're keeping it to their own, Brony specific corners of the internet, rather than spreading it anywhere and everywhere, so that's a win in my book. I don't care what's going on within the fandom, as long as I don't have to constantly hear about it.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 11:16:50 pm »
...Anyone else think that the OP is a euphemism for a gay orgy?

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 12:07:00 am »
Because in most cases, the slash writes itself?
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 03:41:29 am »
To the best of my understanding, perceived gay subtext is a combination of human sexuality, human curiosity, and human imagination.  In other words, it's a byproduct of our wonderful and wacky human nature.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 08:40:27 am »
I'd be interested in the demographics. According to stereotype, yaoi fans are all young girls in early to middle puberty. Does anyone has any stats as to what degree this is true?
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 09:24:25 am »
Was the f word really necessary?
Also canon gay characters are so under represented that we crave representation

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 10:29:47 am »
Homosexuality has made great strides in the media.  Homosexual characters have gone from being marginalized as villains and walking jokes to being well-developed.  However, there's a flipside to the coin: people seeing gay subtext where none exists.

I wish modern audiences would stop interpreting EVERYTHING in the media as gay. One character helping another up, characters arguing a lot, or characters just demonstrating friendly or even sibling-esque affection will all get labeled evidence that they secretly want to bone. This doesn't bother me because I'm uncomfortable with gay sexuality; it bothers me because I'm uncomfortable with everything being interpreted as sexuality in the first place. For God's sake people, there are other types of relationships. Some shows encourage this subtext on purpose, but in many cases it's just fans letting their imaginations get waaaaay away from them.

Why do you think this is going on?

But man, Sherlock TOTALLY wants to bone Moriarty!!!1!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 11:23:58 am »
I find it to be quite heavy in people that talk a lot about lgbt rights. The more they interpret faggotry in a given media, the more they wish the faggotry would appear on screen and give gay representation. And when they dont get the buttsex they oh so crave they search for even more subtextual cocksucking to yell about

I was about to go "This guy's gonna die" and then I remembered who was posting.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.