Author Topic: Why do modern audiences see homoeroticism everywhere?  (Read 10138 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Why do modern audiences see homoeroticism everywhere?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 12:10:59 pm »
Was about to say that's a legit critisim but it's Hof so yeah.

I really wish people would not see homosexuality in everything.  Case in popular point, Frozen.  The world of Tumblr is going insane saying that the two sisters are lesbians for one another.  And I'm like...what?

Ironbite-seriously?

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 12:16:27 pm »

I really wish people would not see homosexuality in everything.  Case in popular point, Frozen.  The world of Tumblr is going insane saying that the two sisters are lesbians for one another.  And I'm like...what?

Ironbite-seriously?

That's one of the most ridiculous cases, frankly. It's like they can't understand that level of love and companionship WITHOUT a romantic and/or sexual relationship coupled with it.

I remember reading something regarding how it's viewed as perfectly normal and even positive to turn canonically heterosexual characters homosexual or at least bisexual, and slash fans will occasionally try to declare their new sexual preference canon. But attempts to hook up a canonically homosexual or bisexual character with the opposite gender is viewed by the exact same people as horrendous.

It ends up inadvertently saying "Being gay is natural. Being straight is a choice." And if you ever end up inadvertently reversing a common saying bigots use against you, you should look a bit closer at how you're going about equality.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:36:45 pm by chitoryu12 »
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 12:21:52 pm »
I think one reason for people lookin for homosexuality from the subtext is that for a long time that is where it was. One of the latest Cracked articles mentioned the implied (if not well hidden) gay romance subplot in a Charlton Heston movie and likewise the whole "hide your gays" trope has been in existence for a long time.

Even if these days the audience is more accepting of gay couples in movies and series Hollywood and the big companies are still afraid of losing profits by having sexual minorities represented. (Then again Hollywood is afraid that passing the Bechdel test would make a movie unmarketable so what do they know...)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 04:44:17 pm »
Homosexuality has made great strides in the media.  Homosexual characters have gone from being marginalized as villains and walking jokes to being well-developed.  However, there's a flipside to the coin: people seeing gay subtext where none exists.

I wish modern audiences would stop interpreting EVERYTHING in the media as gay. One character helping another up, characters arguing a lot, or characters just demonstrating friendly or even sibling-esque affection will all get labeled evidence that they secretly want to bone. This doesn't bother me because I'm uncomfortable with gay sexuality; it bothers me because I'm uncomfortable with everything being interpreted as sexuality in the first place. For God's sake people, there are other types of relationships. Some shows encourage this subtext on purpose, but in many cases it's just fans letting their imaginations get waaaaay away from them.

Why do you think this is going on?

But man, Sherlock TOTALLY wants to bone Moriarty!!!1!

Noooo, it's Sherlock wants to bone John!!!1!1 Johnlock 5eva!!!!!111!!1!111one111!!!!eleven!!!onehundredeleven!!

(I would have also added a fake death threat in reference to the fact that some shippers take their ships way too seriously. I mean I've seen stuff almost like this in the Sonic/Amy vs. Sonic/Sally days on deviantART. And this was back in 2006.)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 05:05:07 pm »
Homosexuality has made great strides in the media.  Homosexual characters have gone from being marginalized as villains and walking jokes to being well-developed.  However, there's a flipside to the coin: people seeing gay subtext where none exists.

I wish modern audiences would stop interpreting EVERYTHING in the media as gay. One character helping another up, characters arguing a lot, or characters just demonstrating friendly or even sibling-esque affection will all get labeled evidence that they secretly want to bone. This doesn't bother me because I'm uncomfortable with gay sexuality; it bothers me because I'm uncomfortable with everything being interpreted as sexuality in the first place. For God's sake people, there are other types of relationships. Some shows encourage this subtext on purpose, but in many cases it's just fans letting their imaginations get waaaaay away from them.

Why do you think this is going on?

But man, Sherlock TOTALLY wants to bone Moriarty!!!1!

Noooo, it's Sherlock wants to bone John!!!1!1 Johnlock 5eva!!!!!111!!1!111one111!!!!eleven!!!onehundredeleven!!

(I would have also added a fake death threat in reference to the fact that some shippers take their ships way too seriously. I mean I've seen stuff almost like this in the Sonic/Amy vs. Sonic/Sally days on deviantART. And this was back in 2006.)

I remember reading somewhere that the actress that plays Mary Morsten on Sherlock got some death threats after her character married John Watson on the show.

Even better, her and Martin Freeman (John Watson) are married in real life. lol.

Shipping really is serious buisness.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 05:16:20 pm »
And speaking of shipping and death threats:

Once upon a time (about almost a month ago, I think) there were a bunch of spamming in the 'ereri' tag on Tumblr (this is a shipping between Levi and Eren, two characters from Attack on Titan) and the shippers went nuts, even one claimed she got "triggered".

Also, I've read some of the serious entries on that tag. Holy shit were they nasty and juvenile.

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 05:37:34 pm »
To be fair, it's not just modern audiences. People have known about Batman since at least the 1950s.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 09:43:04 pm »
To be fair, it's not just modern audiences. People have known about Batman since at least the 1950s.
Anyone else think it's funny that a character introduced to make Batman look less gay (Catwoman) is canonically gay/bi(?) herself?
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 10:44:14 pm »

Ironbite-seriously?

Dont make me ship you and chit, the sexual tension is palpable.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 03:19:16 am »

Ironbite-seriously?

Dont make me ship you and chit, the sexual tension is palpable.

Do it. Your conversion will be complete...
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 12:51:02 pm »
The craziest bunch I know are the "J2" shippers, a part of the Supernatural fandom who not only ship the lead characters, but believe that their actors are gay lovers, but the Hollywood executives are forcing them to keep it a secret.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 02:08:28 pm »
Incidentally, I remember getting squicked at Frodo/Sam slash artwork, simply because I wasn't seeing Frodo and Sam, I was seeing Elijah Woods and Sean Astin.  And that creeped me out.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2014, 10:23:56 am »
A thread about perceived homoeroticism in popular entertainment and not a single mention of 300?  How does that even happen?

Though in the real life Spartan army homosexual sex with fellow soldiers was mandatory, so the homoeroticism probably isn't merely perceived it's probably intentional on the part of the film makers.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2014, 01:31:37 pm »
A thread about perceived homoeroticism in popular entertainment and not a single mention of 300?  How does that even happen?

Though in the real life Spartan army homosexual sex with fellow soldiers was mandatory, so the homoeroticism probably isn't merely perceived it's probably intentional on the part of the film makers.

One of the funniest historical inaccuracies in 300 is the Spartans mocking the Athenians by basically calling them gay. Maybe that would work with the young men in the audience who can laugh along, but in reality same-sex relationships were extraordinarily common in Ancient Greece and the Spartans specifically viewed it as an important part of the military's social structure. Unlike some groups, however, the Spartans weren't dumb enough to try and structure their units around homosexual companionship among soldiers.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2014, 01:39:51 pm »
300 was basically just a terrible rendition of Greek history, altogether.

Not just referring to the movie, by the way.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet