Author Topic: Pink Slime invades school kids lunches  (Read 11083 times)

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
Re: Pink Slime invades school kids lunches
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2012, 08:55:33 am »
Hell, it's been proposed a large part of the reason we became tool-using animals was to get at the marrow from other animals' kills (since short of hyenas, most animals don't have the jaw strength to get in there).
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2012, 02:30:26 pm »
After giving this thought... hell, it can't be worse than what a Vienna sausage is made of.  I like them... so...  *Shrugs*

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2012, 02:50:32 pm »
After giving this thought... hell, it can't be worse than what a Vienna sausage is made of.  I like them... so...  *Shrugs*

The entire reason sausage was invented was to use the less desirable parts of the animals. No one wants intestines or the tough bits, but if you grind up those tough bits, throw in some seasoning, and stuff it inside the intestines, suddenly it's something half the world can't live without.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2012, 03:17:07 pm »
Mmm...delicious marrow...
Yeah, the guy talked about marrow like it was a bad thing.

And what exactly is the stabilizer that he mentions that it should be so naturally unpleasant? The concept doesn’t sound any different than adding a bit of extra flour to thicken up your homemade gravy.

Does the process look unpleasant? To some, perhaps. But like others before me, I gotta say that that does not mean the end result itself is bad. Personally, I think the most distasteful part would have been the actual slaughtering of the chicken. And that doesn’t keep me from eating it, whether it is a drumstick, breast, or even a processed nugget.

I would think of fast food industries of all places decided to ban it, that says something right there.  This stuff can't be good for the kids.

From what I have read, fast food places dropped it because of public pressure, not because of any known hazard.

The entire reason sausage was invented was to use the less desirable parts of the animals. No one wants intestines or the tough bits, but if you grind up those tough bits, throw in some seasoning, and stuff it inside the intestines, suddenly it's something half the world can't live without.

Go figure on that.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 03:28:26 pm by N. De Plume »
-A Pen Name

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2012, 08:44:44 pm »
Hell, to the people who look at a food and say "That looks like it's disgusting, unnatural, just like play-doh.  It is therefore bad at you"

Have you ever seen the food after you're done chewing it?  Quite frankly, play-doh would look more appetizing.

We haven't even gotten to the rest of the digestive process.

I honestly get tired of these food panics.  Oh, panicking over stuff like "Hey, this batch of ground beef has been discovered to have salmonella" is understandable.  Fearmongering over rumors like "ASPARTAME CAUSES CANCER" is just stupid.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2012, 05:26:15 pm »
Why the hell are chickens being feed this shit??

I thought chickens were insectivores.  Beef =/= insects.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Quasirodent

• Pope
  • You knew it in your heart all along.
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2012, 05:36:45 pm »
Chickens will eat anything they can find.  Seeds, berries, bugs, worms, small vertibrates, other animals' eggs.  And protein meal made from meat industry by-products.
Jesus had two dads and he turned out okay.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2012, 05:41:46 pm »

Its moments when I read about "Pink Slime" and "what goes into a sausage" that I'm glad I'm a vegetarian. (and no, its not so much about safe the animals as it is about health).

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2012, 06:39:20 pm »

Its moments when I read about "Pink Slime" and "what goes into a sausage" that I'm glad I'm a vegetarian. (and no, its not so much about safe the animals as it is about health).

But... these things aren't unhealthy. They're just difficult to eat normally, or unappetizing. So, by grinding them down, adding seasoning, and stuffing them into another unappetizing part of the animal, more of the animal is used and less is wasted.

The practice of barbequing has similar roots. Cuts of meat like the brisket are normally very tough and hard to eat. But if you cook them at a relatively low temperature for a longer period of time, it acts to tenderize the meat.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2012, 07:47:39 pm »
BBQ actually has a more...sinister origin.

Ironbite-it was the preferred cooking method of longpork

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2012, 07:54:12 pm »
longpork... AKA humans.

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2012, 09:30:31 pm »

Nothing beats a natural casing vienna over a flame to make the skin crisp and give it that little snap when you bite down
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2012, 10:34:46 pm »
Mmmmm... Them's good entrails!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2012, 11:42:36 pm »
I'm starting to think I may actually prefer normal hot dogs over kosher dogs O_o
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2012, 11:46:56 pm »
Those Hebrew Nationals are pretty good, IMO.