Author Topic: Dumbest Protest Signs  (Read 1112860 times)

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
Re: Dumbest Protest Signs
« Reply #1515 on: December 18, 2012, 01:57:18 pm »
Not sure.  Also at 8 weeks it's the size of a kidney bean

Oh, they didn't lie to us about the sizes.  But the photos they used were deliberately mislabeled as being "younger" than they actually were.  What Wikipedia identifies as a photo (enlarged, of course) of a 7-week embryo is pretty much the exact same photo that my middle-school textbook (A Beka) and various Catholic "pro-life" pamphlets insisted was a 4-week embryo.

We were never lied to about how big embryos are, because that wasn't the part that tugs at your heartstrings.  "Tiny and helpless" is easy to use for emotional manipulation.  But the more they can convince you that a blastocyst looks like a newborn baby, the easier it is for them to convince you to ban all abortions ever.

When something is the size of a bug it's easier to see that it's not a living, feeling being.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #1516 on: December 18, 2012, 02:00:51 pm »
Should i put up all the sizes for a proper reference

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #1517 on: December 18, 2012, 02:08:19 pm »
Should i put up all the sizes for a proper reference

That would be nice. Thank you.

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #1518 on: December 18, 2012, 06:06:53 pm »

Where do you get morning after pills?

Side note, how do you(not just rookie, everyone in general) feel about abortion? I hear many hear talk about how it's not easy for a woman to get one, and most don't get them just for fun. In my opinion, I really don't care if a woman gets an abortion and doesn't care about the fetus at all (excluding really late abortions, when the fetus is practically a baby). Do the people that talk about how hard it is to have one prefer that women don't have as much emotional difficulty with it?

I don't particularly care either way if someone has one or not. And if by late-term you mean the point where most are viable, that's usually because something has gone horrifically wrong with the fetus in question. I remember reading about one where it had no intestines and the heart had developed outside the body. If it survived being born, it would die horribly soon after. Of course the pro-lifers never want you to hear about those things, since it makes them look heartless in comparison.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1519 on: December 18, 2012, 10:53:32 pm »

Side note, how do you(not just rookie, everyone in general) feel about abortion? I hear many hear talk about how it's not easy for a woman to get one, and most don't get them just for fun. In my opinion, I really don't care if a woman gets an abortion and doesn't care about the fetus at all (excluding really late abortions, when the fetus is practically a baby). Do the people that talk about how hard it is to have one prefer that women don't have as much emotional difficulty with it?

I don't particularly care either way if someone has one or not. And if by late-term you mean the point where most are viable, that's usually because something has gone horrifically wrong with the fetus in question. I remember reading about one where it had no intestines and the heart had developed outside the body. If it survived being born, it would die horribly soon after. Of course the pro-lifers never want you to hear about those things, since it makes them look heartless in comparison.

Then, you got the kid born without a god damned brain.  No, I will not link to the video, find it yourself, its...too fucking depressing for me to even go looking for it.

Honestly, I don't really mind abortion.  It keeps you from making your life worse, and bringing a life into this world that may end up loathed and perhaps even hated, and that's not fair to the kid.  If it poses a significant health risk to the mother, all the more reason to get rid of it as soon as god damned possible.  That thing hasn't proven its ability to survive, for all you know it could die the moment its out of the mother, but the mother has.  Save her life...if she ends up hating you for it, at least you won't have a kid there serving as a reminder of the person you no longer have, the child living a life of being resented by its father for something it couldn't help.

It stops a lot of problems before they begin, and saves the lives of women that may have otherwise died because of complications during pregnancy.  Make it safe, make it legal, and make it accessible.  Also, if a kid comes in wanting one because they accidentally got knocked up, no parental permission need be required.  This is one instance where they do not get a fucking say, only the kid does, because she's the one that's pregnant, not them.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #1520 on: December 18, 2012, 10:55:56 pm »

I guess I'm wondering how someone would feel if a woman got pregnant as much as possible, then had an abortion at 4 weeks after conception. I'm not sure why she would do this, but I'm wondering how other pro-choicers feel about this.
I personally wouldn't care at all, excluding the confusion of why she's having so many abortions, and the effect of it on her health.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1521 on: December 18, 2012, 11:01:27 pm »

I guess I'm wondering how someone would feel if a woman got pregnant as much as possible, then had an abortion at 4 weeks after conception. I'm not sure why she would do this, but I'm wondering how other pro-choicers feel about this.
I personally wouldn't care at all, excluding the confusion of why she's having so many abortions, and the effect of it on her health.

Yeaaaaaah...at that point, I'd be questioning the lady's mental health, and not the legality of abortion.  Because only a fuckin scary-ass psycho bitch would pull that kinda shit.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #1522 on: December 18, 2012, 11:19:47 pm »

Yeaaaaaah...at that point, I'd be questioning the lady's mental health, and not the legality of abortion.  Because only a fuckin scary-ass psycho bitch would pull that kinda shit.

It's really hard to make a metaphor for this...
But do you see anything immoral about what she's doing to the fetuses? Not the fact that she's obviously coo-coo for cocoa puffs?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1523 on: December 18, 2012, 11:38:48 pm »
It's really hard to make a metaphor for this...
But do you see anything immoral about what she's doing to the fetuses? Not the fact that she's obviously coo-coo for cocoa puffs?

Eeh, not really.  At 4 weeks, the thing barely looks human, anyway.  Even then, the act itself (abortion) is not evil, but in this case, the intent with which its done is.  Do not call an action evil simply because a few who have taken that action were evil.  As Daria put it, "Yeah, and Hitler ate sugar."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1524 on: December 19, 2012, 02:18:16 am »
If someone intentionally got pregnant just to have abortions, I'd get the impression that they had an unhealthy addiction to surgery for some reason.

On that note, while I am also pro-choice, I also support making it so that women don't need abortions in the first place.  Birth control, sex education, family planning, and so forth.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #1525 on: December 19, 2012, 08:32:53 am »

Not true and WTF?

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 08:37:41 am by DiscoBerry »

Offline Julian

• Pope
« Reply #1526 on: December 19, 2012, 09:18:07 am »
Bloody hell. Most people would say that they then armed the kids to protect the teachers, and gave them two years compulsory military service in a geopolitical nightmare.

Also this.
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/12/16/israeli-teachers-are-armed-and-other-stupid-right-wing-myths/

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #1527 on: December 19, 2012, 09:32:02 am »

I truly hate this argument. I was very young when Reagen was shot, and I didn't learn of this fact til I was much older. It turns out he was surrounded by the Secret Service. Those guys are in the top ten in the world as far as bodyguards go. Yet he still got shot.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #1528 on: December 19, 2012, 09:44:52 am »
The whole arming teachers bs is nothing more than knee jerk reaction bs, and fail to see what the real problem is.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 09:47:41 am by Empress Nicki »

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #1529 on: December 19, 2012, 09:48:12 am »

Then, you got the kid born without a god damned brain.  No, I will not link to the video, find it yourself, its...too fucking depressing for me to even go looking for it.

Are we talking about the particular anencepalic child whose parents insisted on keeping it alive for a full year after birth, in pain but unaware of anything else*, just because "we don't believe in abortion so it would be wrong to put it out of its misery?"  Because...that was just all kinds of creepy.  I was raised in that degree of "pro-life," and I was deeply sickened by that video.  It was their choice to make, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

* You need a cerebrum to be consciously aware of the things your "five senses" process, or to make any conscious action, but you only really need pain receptors and a brainstem to feel pain.

Honestly, I don't really mind abortion.  It keeps you from making your life worse, and bringing a life into this world that may end up loathed and perhaps even hated, and that's not fair to the kid.  If it poses a significant health risk to the mother, all the more reason to get rid of it as soon as god damned possible.  That thing hasn't proven its ability to survive, for all you know it could die the moment its out of the mother, but the mother has.  Save her life...if she ends up hating you for it, at least you won't have a kid there serving as a reminder of the person you no longer have, the child living a life of being resented by its father for something it couldn't help.

It stops a lot of problems before they begin, and saves the lives of women that may have otherwise died because of complications during pregnancy.  Make it safe, make it legal, and make it accessible.  Also, if a kid comes in wanting one because they accidentally got knocked up, no parental permission need be required.  This is one instance where they do not get a fucking say, only the kid does, because she's the one that's pregnant, not them.

I don't like abortion.  At all.  But what "pro-life" types tend to forget is that sometimes your choice isn't a simple, cut-and-dried, Right Vs. Wrong choice.  Sometimes, you have to choose between Wrong and Wronger.  There are circumstances in which abortion is not a good idea.  But there are also circumstances in which abortion is by far the lesser evil.  It is not my place to decide when another person's reasons are Good Enough.

For example, the life/health of the mother.  The doctor never says, "You are definitely going to die if you have a baby now."  It's always a probability of death, at least at first.  A risk, not a certainty.  And different people have different ideas of what level of risk is worthwhile in order to have a baby.  The law, and other people in general, should not go up to a woman and tell her that her level of risk is too high to give birth when she wants to do so, or not high enough for an abortion if that's what she wants.

Some people don't even want a baby--and frankly, I think that the way doctors assume that we all want to make babies, even when the child-free among us say otherwise, is rather patronizing.  Some people want a baby, but aren't financially able to care for one yet.  Some people already have a child that they can just barely afford to feed.

The law should respect the choices of all of these people.  Abortion is never an easy choice to make; neither is giving birth.  Both have risks; both carry the possibility of regret; both are rather expensive; both can, if you're not married, carry quite a lot of nasty social stigmas.  But the law shouldn't make this choice any harder than it already is.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 09:50:48 am by TheL »
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!