Author Topic: Dumbest Protest Signs  (Read 1111637 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Dumbest Protest Signs
« Reply #3975 on: March 22, 2015, 05:49:48 pm »

Why does Martin Luther King Jr. keep saying blacks will always be victimized!? IS HE THE REAL racist!?!?

Actually, she has a point.  What are "safe spaces" if not an admission that you can't handle criticism?

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #3976 on: March 22, 2015, 06:00:23 pm »
Wait, is her last name really "Kitchens", could she be an MRA sleeper agent designed to lure women back into the kitchen?! WAKE UP SHEEPLE ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #3977 on: March 22, 2015, 06:39:26 pm »

Why does Martin Luther King Jr. keep saying blacks will always be victimized!? IS HE THE REAL racist!?!?

Actually, she has a point.  What are "safe spaces" if not an admission that you can't handle criticism?
What are "domestic violence shelters" if not an admission that you can't handle criticism?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3978 on: March 22, 2015, 06:41:50 pm »

What are "domestic violence shelters" if not an admission that you can't handle criticism?

False equivalence.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #3979 on: March 22, 2015, 06:45:58 pm »

False equivalence.
How? Safe spaces are meant to be an area for LGBT/Woman/disabled people to go to avoid bullying or harrasment as well as talk to people with similar experiences.
While it's true the problems faced by people in them aren't always as severe as domestic abuse surivors people in them are still often victims of bullying (phycological or physical).

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3980 on: March 22, 2015, 06:48:24 pm »

False equivalence.
How? Safe spaces are meant to be an area for LGBT/Woman/disabled people to go to avoid bullying or harrasment as well as talk to people with similar experiences.
While it's true the problems faced by people in them aren't always as severe as domestic abuse surivors people in them are still often victims of bullying (phycological or physical).

I was referring to "safe spaces" in the radflake sense.  Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #3981 on: March 22, 2015, 06:50:27 pm »
Oh.
This is awkward...

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #3982 on: March 22, 2015, 06:52:24 pm »

False equivalence.

Well, this turned into a shitstorm fast.

@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3983 on: March 22, 2015, 06:52:59 pm »

False equivalence.

Well, this turned into a shitstorm fast.

Relax, it seems to have blown over.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #3984 on: March 22, 2015, 07:11:10 pm »

I prefer the term "hugbox". A place where criticism is howled at and the hugs come thick and fast.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #3985 on: March 22, 2015, 07:46:08 pm »

An admission that there are certain situations in which you don't want to deal with criticism?

I cannot speak for everyone who has ever used the phrase "safe space", but in my experience when people use it they mean that some places are safe for specific things and others are not. Which sounds like a pretty reasonable idea.

I'm all for engaging with criticism and being open to various points of view, but only when people have the will and mental energy to do so. If someone just wants to vent about something or talk to people they already know are on the same page, they should have a chance for that, too. Hence, safe spaces.

There are infinitely many debates you can have about what places should be safe, whether being safe for X necessarily excludes being safe for Y, etc. But the bare notion of safe spaces doesn't seem that controversial to me.
Σא

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #3986 on: March 22, 2015, 08:19:14 pm »
There are infinitely many debates you can have about what places should be safe, whether being safe for X necessarily excludes being safe for Y, etc. But the bare notion of safe spaces doesn't seem that controversial to me.

Safe spaces have a lot of inbuilt armor against criticism, which is fine and well for a place to escape but it can turn ugly fast when the moderators of that safe space become abusive or manipulative. The damage is compounded by convincing victims that their only safe outlet is the one with the abusive members.

It's a real problem with some sites and I don't think the concept of a safe space has an effective check on that dysfunction.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #3987 on: March 23, 2015, 10:28:34 pm »
As a general rule, safe spaces are meant to have harsh social norms against abuse. Obviously that can backfire if you have designated moderators that are the ones perpetrating the abuse and you can't remove them, but "authorities abuse their power" is a general failure mode of basically every human community, it's not exclusive to safe spaces.
Σא

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #3988 on: March 23, 2015, 10:33:50 pm »
As a general rule, safe spaces are meant to have harsh social norms against abuse. Obviously that can backfire if you have designated moderators that are the ones perpetrating the abuse and you can't remove them, but "authorities abuse their power" is a general failure mode of basically every human community, it's not exclusive to safe spaces.
"Abuse of power comes as no surprise."
~Saddam Hussein

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #3989 on: March 23, 2015, 10:48:03 pm »

Safe spaces harbor victims of abuse. I consider it a uniquely vile offense when the heads of those communities manipulate the trust an already vulnerable segment of the population places in them.

At least other forums can throw shit around and fragment. Dysfunctional safe spaces make their members feel more worthless and outcast than they felt without any community support.